63 Wannabe Club

JulieKay

Hi Julie

No, if you used the same yarn for 2 different squares and they turned out so different it's not your tension, it'd be the pattern . That is the biggest flaw in this whole afghan is to try to get each square the same size . Everyone who has been in this group and made it have had the same issues.Some squares turn out large, some small. I myself would recommend edging each as you go along . Pick out a uniform square size -- if you have 10 done so far and only one is too large, then I would only do one row of your light colored edging on it, but 2 rows of edging on the others ( one with the original square color, then one with the light edging .)

As long as the squares are CLOSE in size .. I'd say within maybe even 1/2 " difference, once you sew them all together , they will all fall into place well. It's actually pretty easy once you get the hang of it, to add or subtract borders as needed ,and to sew them together so they will fit ok .

Hope someone else comes in here to give their advice too, but if you have the time, read back through the posts-- your problem is the sme one everyone else had, and we have had SEVERAL afghans finished -- you'll get the hang of it -- don't give up !

Some ofthe ladies actually sewed their strips together as they got enough done to make a strip . You could also do that if you'd like !

Forgot to ask what colors you're using !

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks again! I just redid square #11 this afternoon and reduced the beginning chain. It came out just the right size! Good advice!:clap

I will finish reading through the thread. It's good to know these aren't unusual problems.

As for the colors, I'm making this in pink, green and ecru (my wedding colors, as a matter of fact :))

HI Julie

Great ! I'm glad the tip worked for you ~~

Like I said , if you read thru all these posts, you'll find that EVERYONE had the same problem, so it's not you .

I bet those colors were beautiful in your wedding ! Is the afghan gonna be for you to keep or give to someone ?

Hi Phlox-Julie!

I'm in the middle of joining my squares, so my advice to you is to edge them with the ecru as you go along. I sorta kinda did, so I still had a few to do at the end. It was a pain to stop to edge them. It didn't take long though. To adjust the size of your squares, you can also do the base chain in a bigger hook, then go down a hook size for the rest of your square.

Also, do yourself a favor and weave in as many ends as you can. I know it's maddening, but it's even more maddening when you have 50 gajillion to do at once!!!

On a side note, when I complete this afghan I'm going to write an essay on how making an afghan is like climbing a mountain.... and not just because it's there!

Just a quick update from the slowest joiner EVER...

Still joining. And joining. And joining. :blush

The fact that I do one row at a time then stop is not helping at all.

Hope to get this thing finished soon. I do really like how the join I'm using is turning out.

Claire, I can't believe you're going to finish before me!!! Congrats on smoking through! Hope to see the finished product soon! :cheer

Phlox, welcome to the group. This has been so much fun. I know if it wasn't for this group, half of this ghan would be stuck in the back of a closet (again).

While I was at Wal-Mart last night (without dd), I think I finally have my colors picked out. I'm planning to go with RH in Soft White, Ranch Red, and Coffee. Now I just have to get to HL this week while they are still on sale!

While I was at Wal-Mart last night (without dd), I think I finally have my colors picked out. I'm planning to go with RH in Soft White, Ranch Red, and Coffee. Now I just have to get to HL this week while they are still on sale!

----------

oooh, I like the Ranch Red. I bought about 10 skeins of it for a project, but I'm probably going to end up using it for something else. It's the perfect red, I think! Your afghan will be beautiful with those colors.

Hey Claire

I hope you'll post your essay on here so we can all read it ! :)

You better believe I will! But first to get this afghan done!!!

Claire, I can't believe you're going to finish before me!!!

Don't bet the ranch on that! I still have 4 more strips to join together, a gajillion ends to weave in. And, oh yeah, how could I forget? The edging on the outside of the whole thing.

Gotta get off this machine now and go join....

Also, do yourself a favor and weave in as many ends as you can. I know it's maddening, but it's even more maddening when you have 50 gajillion to do at once!!!

QUOTE]

Thank you for the tip. I've decided that everytime I finish a page in the leaflet, I'll do the ecru eding and weave in the ends. So for every 5-6 squares that I do, I'll stop and finish them. I think that will help motivate me a bit--otherwise, it may not get done. I'm ashamed to say that last June I finished a granny square throw that I now use regularly, and I still don't have all of the ends woven in yet :blush .

Hi to the other new Julie !

I can't believe all the Julies we have here ! FUNNY ~~~

Nope you are officially signed up, unless you want me to send you through the fear factor course first. Then you become a GOLD member .

To do that, I need you to dangle by a piece of yarn over your house , pick up all the loose acorns off your roof, EAT them, then walk on a telephone wire across the street and shimmy down the telephone pole .

THAT will make you a gold member .

Let me know if that's what you're gonna do, and I will send the cameras over to get video proof . :D

Nope you are officially signed up, unless you want me to send you through the fear factor course first.

Are you kidding me? This IS the fear factor course!!! "No, not more bobbles!!!!" :)

JulieKay

"Is the afghan gonna be for you to keep or give to someone ?"--I'm afraid I'm going to be selfish with this one. It's going to take so much time and effort into it that I don't think I could stand to part with it.

I finished 2 more squares last night! That brings me up to 20 completed squares with all the edgings done and the ends woven in. Only 43 more to go :eek .

I've really been more motivated since coming to this forum. Thanks everyone!

Well, I'm back. I am having the hardest time moving on this afghan! Can I do the fear factor thing instead? I have a system now, and SHOULD making some progress here, I guess.

Anyway, after reading this from Julie (welcome to the forum, Julie!):

last June I finished a granny square throw that I now use regularly, and I still don't have all of the ends woven in yet :blush .

I thought - what a fashionable person you must be, Julie. I mean, ... aren't strands of yarn hanging from projects actually fashionable now?

Then I got the idea,:idea in the name of high fashion I mean, that maybe we should consider updating our style and leaving those ends out .... for the sake of fashion AND crochet, I mean, maybe crochet would appeal more to the masses....What do you all think???:bounce

That's a great idea! :lol To think that I could be on the cutting edge of fashion with my sad little yarn ends hanging off of my projects!

Oh - don't sell yourself short, Julie - I think you are on to something. (Maybe we can start a trend that will save us a lot of time in the long run!!)

Actually, my WONDERFUL husband just reminded me of the numerous one or two threads he always finds hanging everytime I make something for him. Ha ha, isn't he hilarious. - It's FASHIONABLE, honey, it's FASHIONABLE!

Hey Diane -

Well, there's good news and bad news - SURE you can do the Fear Factor thing, but you STILL have to make the afghan . :D

and Julie and Julie ... Julie here .

( I feel like that old Bob Newhart show .... this is my brother Darrell and my other brother Darrelll ) :lol

Maybe we should start a Julie Club. I think we have about 17 of them here in the 'ville !

Anyhow, you guys might think this is a stupid idea, but I have actually been thinking about an afghan ( NOT THIS ONE )

that you'd make out of scraps-- like small granny squares of all different colors, then rather than SEW them together, leave really long ends on them and TIE them together at all 4 corners. I thought it might actually be cute !

Good morning!

Progress report:

All 9 strips are assembled. Now, onto joining them to each other. (Curse those loose ends!)

That's an interesting idea, Julie. Would you knot the strings so that you couldn't see them, or tie them in a bow, so that there are lots of little bows all over the afghan? Would you tie them tightly together or leave some space for a lacey effect? And what size square are you thinking of? Teeny-tiny like granny's daughter? I don't know if I like the thought of tying four x gajillion strings!!!

Archived