63 Wannabe Club

JulieKay

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Susan,

I just took a peek at your blog, and your afghan looks beautiful! Congratulations on being so close to finished! I wish I could say the same :) !

I've finished about 25 squares at this point, but I've just gotten stuck for some reason. I went on vacation and took along a different project that would be more portable. Now, I just can't get back into the swing of things--argh.

Since I couldn't get up the will the make a new square, I began to experiment with different ways of joining the squares I already have. I tried the flat-braid join (for the very first time ever!) and it was lovely. Has anyone else used this method with this project?

Yes, incredible though it may seem, I finally got a new camera. Unfortunately, the battery didn't last long and it quit just after I took a few pictures.

Here, at long last, is my humble 63 Squares afghan!

63SquaresAfghan.jpg

Julie, I tried to get a close up of your favorite square, you know, the Preachercuss, but it came out too bright. Oh well! I know you're crushed with disappointment!

I'm just tickled to finally be able to post a pic.

Thanks! I am pretty amazed at myself (a rare occurence, but maybe not so rare anymore!)!

I'm looking forward to seeing the 'ghans that are coming along behind me. Susan, how are you doing?

And phlox, does Miss JulieKay have to get out her baseball bat??? You better get a move on!

Julie,

That's like saying you couldn't finish your third plate from the buffet table. You had no more room! You had to digest a little! :D Try not to feel too bad! You'll get back to it, I know you will!

Phlox, do you have a picture of that flat braid join? I'd love to see it. I've done the whip stitch and the slip stitch join. I'd like to try other methods.

Julie,

That's like saying you couldn't finish your third plate from the buffet table. You had no more room! You had to digest a little! :D Try not to feel too bad! You'll get back to it, I know you will!

Phlox, do you have a picture of that flat braid join? I'd love to see it. I've done the whip stitch and the slip stitch join. I'd like to try other methods.

:yay Congratulations on completing your afghan! :yay It is truly beautiful--I'm using the same color scheme, and I love it. It's so old-fashioned and romantic.

I managed to complete two more squares, but having someone stationed nearby with a baseball bat would be a great help...:lol I work well under pressure!

As for photos of the flat braid join, I'll post them soon (the card is full and we need to upload the photos--just haven't gotten around to it yet). I'm really happy with the way it's turning out. I have one strip nearly finished with that method, and I think it really enhances the patterns--gives a kind a frame to showcase each square. It takes a little longer and uses more yarn, but so far, I think it's worth the effort.

Wow, so much has happened here since I last visited!

Durango was lots of fun, except they shut down I-40 for about 12 hours on the way there so we spent a day in exciting Tucumcari, NM. But we finally go to Durango and managed to hit a Trader Joe's and a cool little winery on the way. Great trip, but glad to be home!

I just sat down last night with The Beast, as I've nicknamed this ghan, and decided to finish the joining and just power through the neck cramps. I got to the last 5 squares of the last column and I ran out of freaking yarn! I am so close to finishing and I"m sure it will go quickly. We're out of town again this weekend but I should be able to get it done next week without a problem. I know that's, like, the 72nd time I've said this but I'm feeling good about it this time.

Claire, you're done! :yay Your ghan looks awesome!

Susan, your looks really great too! :clap Love the purples you used!

Other Julie, hang in there! I've definitely been there, only I powered through the squares then tuckered out on the joining part!

Phlox- I love the look of the flat braid join, I think that would look great with the ghan.

I used a variation of that that's not quite as elaborate, just a sc chain 1, then sc to the other side. I'll show a picture when I finish. I've used that join a lot for joining charity ghans and, like Phlox said, it frames each square nicely and also helps even out slightly uneven squares.

Claire, here's a link to the flat braid join.

It's crazy making to run out of yarn at the last minute. That happened to me. I had to go out to get another skein of the rose color to make the last square! Next time I'm buying extra extra!

WAHOOO!!!!!

Finally finished this beast of a ghan. Just put the last round of border on it! :yay:yay:yay:yay:yay

So glad it's over. It turned out pretty cool, if I do say so myself...

I really like the colors I chose now that it's finished.

Hope to get pics to post soon!

Archived