63 Wannabe Club

JulieKay

Hello Fellow Crochetviller's

:waving

Can you answer the following questions :

1- Did you join the 63 Squares Crochetalong ?

2- Did you REALLY want to make that beautiful afghan on the cover ?

3- Did you REALLY get enthused about it and have good intentions on finishing it ?

4- Is your yarn, booklet and hook gathering dust in the corner someplace now ?

If you answered yes to the above, then this group is for you !

I would REALLY like to make this afghan. I think it would give you such a great sense of accomplishment to have finished it !

When I read down through all the previous posts about it, there are a LARGE group of us who would fit into this category .

I was wondering if we could revive this group, by starting a new thread ? Maybe if we would each renew our pledge to get this thing done it would help.

Maybe if we agreed to come in here and post daily on our progress, even if you only get ONE row done on ONE square .

Maybe if we could kind-of be cheerleaders for each other, we could get this thing accomplished this time .

Is anybody game to give this one more try ?

It'd sure make a nice Christmas present for that special somebody on your list ..... you have time to get it done by then if you start now !

Waiting for someone out there to join me in my 63 Wannabe Club .

:hook

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lol I'd join, but i can't commit to posting progress once a day :lol yall would get the same "still haven't touched the dang thing" speach again!! I have too many wips/wim's that I'm not doing right now that it isn't funny :blush I'd gladly join perhaps after the holiday though...(which was when I was supossed to start this thing...last year :blush:blush:blush)

:hook:think:(

Sherry

Hi Sherry-

Well, at least we'd get a post once a day saying you hadn't touched it yet ! :lol

Maybe we'd be able to motivate you to pick it up again, even for a few minutes each day !

I seem to have the same problem you do, I get too many things going at once, then I'm like a car stuck in the mud --- all I do is sit ans spin my tires and don't get anywhere with any of them !

Maybe if I can concentrate on JUST THIS ONE ... Hmmmmmm

LOL!! really I too think that way!! You know when this was first started and I joined I boldly said that I might be doing this in thread(what was I thinking!!!!!) but right now I have chickened out of that idea and am going to make it with yarn, only diff is the yarn here is considerable thinner than the regular worsted weight you get there!

have you started on this already? (I haven't) right now I am in a doily phase so I need to tear myself away from the doily to make this but I also feel that this will give me a nice break from thread otherwise I am bound to have a crochet burnout!!!

hugs

Vims

I haven't even STARTED mine - I think I ended up using hte yarn I bought for other projects, too! I would love to but I have so many things right now ... I just don't know. Lemme pull the book out and see ... I really would like to make one for my dad.

I'm like Faith :( I was all excited, kept eyeing the book, bought yarn, and, uh, yeah. Used it for other things because stuff kept coming up. But I really really do want to make this ... so hm ... when would you start it up again, JulieKay? Could we have a week to kinda get stuff in order, and then start?

Hi Vims,

Yes , it certainly would be pretty in thread, but it makes me go blind just thinking about it . I am not very good with thread, but I sure am in awe of you ladies that are !

Well, to answer your question, I think I'm like the other ladies and started it but used the yarn for other things, so I'm back at square one, along with you all ! That's a good place to be. We're all in the same boat together !

Hi Lani ,

Just jump on the bandwagon as soon as you can .Just drop in every day and post a little comment .That way ,we'll all stay on the wagon this time ! Just so we all stay involved in this , I think we can get it accomplished.

Off to go pick up some more yarn .. :shop

Will get back on here in a little bit .

I have to wait to get yarn until next Friday (when dh gets paid again) ... so I'm going to be a cheerleader until then. Now to decide if I still want to use the colors I'd originally planned on, or ... something else?? Hmmm ...

Should I go with colors to match his bedroom (he has a blanket my mother made many years ago that isn't horrific in there but doesn't really go, and has been getting a bit ratty) or the living room?

Sage - lilac - white for the bedroom ...

Light blue - medium blue - white for the living room ...

Or ... make the whole dang thing in white, so it's neutral and can go either place ...

:think

I am new and came specifically looking for support for this 63 squares afghan! i am not an experienced crocheter but I really want to make this. i have made 1 pot holder and 2 scarves so far and that's it! Count me in, it may take me several years but i am going to do this!

Wildflower

Hello Elizabeth

There is really no difference , other than the fact that I , along with many others, posted enthusiastically about it in the beginning, then just fizzled out. That seems to be what the majority of us did . I am in no way trying to take away from the original group. This thread was meant as more of a jump start to get all of us revived who had good intentions and got no further. If we keep this thread active as possible, maybe we will be able to motivate each other more and achieve more results .

That's the only reason I did this, not to offend anyone or step on any toes. I hope no one takes it that way !

:vheart

okay guys, have my yarn out here on my bed and I am starting to test my guage! I am making it as a scrap sampler as I can't go and buy more yarn!!! I will have to buy cream or black to edge though but that will have to wait!

so how are you all doing here?

hugs

Vims

Hi All,

I am a fairly new crocheter and have been thinking of an afghan..and THIS one doesn't look boring.. :devil lol I am a slow hooker, so it may take me ten years to complete, as I am a cargiver for my elderly mother.. but am willing to give it a try...I will gather up some yarn and give you a hoot, just as soon as I finish up my doily. Maybe I ought to ask when are you starting or have you started?

Judie in Fresno...:yay

Hi Vims ,

A scrap sampler sounds pretty .I know some of the ladies said they were going to make one in this pattern but I never got to see what one looks like finished, so yours will be the first !

I went and got my yarn . I got tan, light blue and light yellow, then just white for edging .

Will start my first square today. I am going in order in the book, starting with number 1 .

Hi Judie !

Welcome ! I'm glad you decided to join us in our Wannabe Group. I " Wannabe " one of the ones to get this finished this time !

I guess we are starting as soon as you each pick up your hook. There is no timetable as far as what day you start or finish, just so we try to keep this message area hopping and as active as possible. I think we will help each other to keep some interest going if we can do that . It's easy to get caught up in other projects and leave this one behind . I have found that out several times !

I understand about being busy caring for someone. I have my 3 year old grandson here full time , so that leaves me little time at night and on the weekends to work on things .

We'll get this done together this time, watch and see !

Good morning, Fellow Wannabees !

Ready to start a new day ? I am starting Square one this morning in tan .

Maybe it'd help us to get to know each other better if we each came on and told a little about ourselves. You don't have to go into any detail, just your first name, where you're from, maybe your age and if you have any family( kids, etc )

Then list the colors you want to do your afghan in. I'm going to write it all down so I can get to know each of you better and remember who is who .

Vims, I noticed you're from India ! Wow, that is exciting ! I have read Rohinton Mistry's books about India, have you ? In fact , he is one of my all time favorite writers .

I'll go first . My name is Julie . I am 47 and live in Ohio and have lived here in the same town my whole life. I have 3 grown kids, all married , and 6 grandkids . I am a housewife and babysit for my 3 year old grandson during the weekdays . I taught myself to crochet when I was around 10 or 12 from a library book . My favorite things to make are afghans . I am making my 63 afghan in light blue, light yellow, tan and white .

Ok, who's next ?

:scrachin

Ooh Ooh I'll go next :) I'm Lani, also 47, currently live in Virginia but have lived all over the eastern US, Hawaii and Germany -- never in the midwest or west but my fiance is looking at contracts in Utah and Colorado so who knows? I have a 23 year old daughter and 2 year old grandson who live in Florida :( and my 21 year old son is in the process of moving into his own place this week here in Virginia. I recently went back to work to help my daughter out during her divorce; I work at the customer service call center for a large company and love my job (although I'm not nuts about the current evening shift that'll change). I can crochet between/during calls, so this afghan is going to be my work project :D My grandmother taught me to knit, crochet, and embroider when I was about 6; I still crochet and do counted cross stitch but rarely knit, my sister knits and does needlepoint but rarely crochets so it all balances out ;) I also love afghans but recently I'm branching out; I did a Serafina shawl, a draped bed jacket for my daughter, my first shrug, and a bunch of scarves in the past couple of months. I've decided to do this entire afghan in off-white, both to show off the different stitches and because my fiance dislikes the multicolored square look ... I'm going to pick up yarn today, and will start next week!

Next please ...

Ok...I think I can go next...My name is Olga , I live in Puerto Rico. I have two grown kids ages 30 and 26 and 2 grand kids 8 and 5. I have been crocheting for quite some time, 20 yrs maybe, but I put it on hold and started plastic canvas .I stopped that and took my hooks back out because I prefer crochet and have been back for the past 6or7 yrs. I only crochet and I have lots of time after I do my house work. My favorite thing to crochet are the bathroom sets for the toilet and tank . I always make a rug to match. I also like to make things for my grand daughter.Im not too good at clothing but im getting there. I have 20 squares done so far for the 63 sq. sampler...I also have a sister in NY that crochets a little and she is learning more and more every day.She can crochet without a pattern... I can't, I need a pattern,lol thanks for listening.

Next in line please........

http://360.yahoo.com/irikel2

My name is Jennifer although there are usually tons of Jennifers on any given board so it's just easier to go by a nickname. I grew up seeing my grandmother crochet, she used to make an afghan for each of the children and then the grandchildren. About when i was next in line she developed macular degeneration and couldn't crochet anymore. Maybe that's why i want to do this afghan so much. I am 35 and have a 7 1/2 year old daughter. I work at a phone book company as a proofreader (and yes, it's boring - that's usually the next question!). I also do cross stitch and embroidery and my passion is elizabethan blackwork.

I haven't decided what colors to do this in but i am leaning towards brown, leaf green, and cream. although i could go the other way and do jewel tones, I saw a pic of one done in those and it was very pretty.

Julie in Fresno, we can be buddies as it might take me years as well!!

wf

Archived