63 Wannabe Club

JulieKay

Renee,

Actually I was in Austin! It was a lot of fun even if it was a little chilly for you Texans. It was perfect shopping weather! You could run from the car to the store without needing a coat! The slipstitch is something I will think about. I'll probably try both methods with a few squares to see what happens.

--------

I didn't even venture outside this past weekend until Sunday afternoon. By then, I had run out of hot chocolate.

I'll be curious to see which method you use. I'll be using one of these for the 63 more that I'm working on.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:eek:eek

hey! how's everyone doing....

i have this booklet and my husband loves it! i actually love the color scheme that it used in the pattern, but must use the yarn that is here....... KWIM?

anyway

25 stitches is what should be the end result. got it...... 7inch square - got it...... 3stitches in the corner, yep got that as well. but how you can get 25sc across the top and bottom if the 2 corners are used for the 3sc? that only leaves 23 stitches left.

i noticed that all the square are 25 stitches

and i thought that i might just do the 23 around. they'd all be the same.

i'm at the end of square 2 and dont want to edge till i understand it better.

Hi LIz

Don't throw in the towel yet -- if you have time to read through all the gazillions of posts on this, you'll see that lots of people had trouble getting squares to exact size and number of stitches. Just do your best to get the edging to 25 stitches per side . It'll work out, you'll see !

Poor Claire-

Just now finding out you need all that extra edging ! Glad you're being patient with it, you are also close to the end now !

Oh, I knew. I just had a Scarlet O'Hara attitude about it: "I'll worry about that tomorrow!" (flutter, flutter!)

Hi Liz!

Welcome to the madness! I've gone just about bonkers in my attempts to make my squares 7 inches. There were a couple in the beginning, I swear, I frogged five or six times and tried with different hooks until I got it right. It was tough then. But then I sort of got in the groove and since then it's been going smoothly for the most part.

Part of my problem is that I'm using Red Heart SS for the rose and green and Caron One Pounder for the ecru. The One Pounder is thicker, so I've had to use a smaller hook (sometimes) with it. Using yarns of varying thickness makes it more challenging.

That 25 stitches on the edge thing has driven me to near madness! Just do the best you can. I don't think the 63 square gorilla squad is going to bust through your windows and haul you off to crochet jail if you don't have exactly 25 stitches on each edge.

At least, I hope not.

Aww shucks... :blush

Yeah, but now I'm grappling with the Star Stitch. I've got it down, but what do you do when you get to the end? The stitch is just...hanging there.... I expected to put a dc in to anchor it, or something! Of course, I started it at 9:30 last night, so maybe in the daylight it will make more sense.

Uh Oh Claire ---

That is the ONLY one in the afghan I could not get, so I made a replacement square for it !

I really will not be of any help with it ! All I can say is, good luck .. hope it works out for you this morning ...

I was Dumber than Box of Rocks on that one ! :eek

Aww shucks... :blush

Yeah, but now I'm grappling with the Star Stitch. I've got it down, but what do you do when you get to the end? The stitch is just...hanging there.... I expected to put a dc in to anchor it, or something! Of course, I started it at 9:30 last night, so maybe in the daylight it will make more sense.

-----------

I recently made a preemie blanket out of this stitch. I don't remember having the problem you're describing, so I'll take a look at it tonight when I get home (maybe do up a sample), and see if I can help you with it tomorrow. I enjoyed working it and it's pretty, but takes a lot of yarn.

thanks everyone! b

no, i wont toss it in yet :lol

i'm just going to take my time, i've found out that i get bored very easy with stuff i "live with it" forever and then nothing gets completed......

Hi Susan

No, it's not too late to join up in here . There is an ongoing list of changing members with several new ones that have joined within the past couple of weeks .

I have kinda taken a sabbatical if you want to call it that , and am not currently working on any of these . I finished my 63, my 35 grannies, my flower garden and my lace and bobbles .

I recently started the 63 more, but need to take a breather from DOING any more CAL's for awhile. I need a little break from them.

I will still come into these areas and check them though, since I started all the above CAL's, I feel it is my responsibility to check in to make sure everyone is doing ok and doesn't need help .

Anyhow you're more than welcome to join -- just get started and come in and post and people will post back to you . It's a friendly group ~:)

Wow! Joining by sc is WAY faster than whipstitching. I knew this in my head but had no idea exactly how fast it would go. Last night I laid out all the squares, arranging and rearranging until I was happy. I then started by going across the first two rows connecting the two rows on one edge. I moved on to the next row and connected that (rather than piecing together 9 in one long row, stopping and cutting the yarn at the end of each square). I made it through the first 6 rows in about 2 hours! I expect to finish the rows tonight and maybe move on to finishing the columns. I can honestly say I expect to have the joining done and a good start on edging by the end of the weekend! :eek Finally I can work on a new project!! I'm actually considering designing an afghan for Herschnerr's contest :eek We'll see how ambitious I actually get :lol

Jen -- I'm so excited for you! You don't know how reassuring it is to me to hear that the stitching together is going so fast!

Susan -- Welcome aboard! A new recruit is always welcome!

Julie -- If I did as many CALs as you, my head would be swimming! I think you must crochet in your sleep! You are crochet superwoman!

I made it through the star stitch! Just left the last star and went on to the next row, and it looks fine! Yay!! I'll be starting #54 sometime today, I hope. Fridays are generally busy for me, being food shopping day, plus it's school vacation week. Nevertheless, I hope to get at least one square done today.

Ten left to go! Whoo hoo! I can see the little, tiny light at the end of the tunnel!

Claire, I do like how fast it's going but I don't know if I'd do the sc joining on the regular blanket (maybe slip stitches would look closer to the whipstitch method?). It does stand up quite a bit and looks very rugged. I think my going in long rows could work with the whipstitch method too. It's very loosey-goosey for the outside squares but I think it's FAR superior to fastening off after every square like they describe. Keep up the good work!! You're almost there!!! :cheer:clap:cheer:clap

I finished my 57th square last night! It was the Snapdragon (#56, I had skipped ahead on Saturday and made #58 because I didn't want to switch from green), which is a very pretty stitch. I can't believe I only have SIX more squares to go!

Of course, there's still a lot of edging to do, plus the assembly, but I'll just apply the Scarlet O'Hara method here until I get those six squares done!

Whoo hoo!

Archived