63 Wannabe Club

JulieKay

Hi Everyone,:hi

Well, I had a crochet weekend and made a little progress on the 6 projects I am working on. (I had to stay away from the computer to get anything done, though. It was hard to stay away from Crochetville). I always seem to get less done than expected, but I did finish 2 squares. I had #1 through 10 done, and then I started doing rows so I could sew as I go. I had one complete row plus 1 through 10 before I stopped. I am excited to get started again!

Julie - you asked my colors. I am using this as a stash buster and am using burgandy, navy, smoky blue, ecru, gold, rose, green, and a variegated color that includes a lot of those colors.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hello Fellow Hookers, one and all

I know this Order is tall .....

But you wanted to make this , remember ?

Some of us started a year ago in September !

So keep plugging along and never give in

It'd be easy to get discouraged and toss it in the Bin .

I know an old lady who wore the paint off her hook

Try and see if you can do that ... go have a look !

If you wear your hook down to a stub ,

I've heard we have a resident hook-maker, Bub !

His name is Jimbo and man, can he whittle

From really big sizes, all the way down to little .

So don't get discouraged if you wear the hook off the end

Jimbo can make you a new one that won't bend !

He makes beautiful hooks..... he's got a talent to admire

And I hear he has a never ending list of buyers !

He lives in the woods so for parts, he'll never run out

If you want a Showpiece of a Hook, give him a Shout ! :D

( In honor of Jimbo, who sounds like a really kind soul, with a heart of gold and hands that can work magic ) :)

imagine one of those little happy face balls with red cheeks, you know the little blushy ball?... (i can't seem to make them appear like you guys can)

I'm very flattered and humbled. Thank you.

Wow, we had a visit from Jimbo! Hi Jimbo! :hi BTW, just click on those little smilies, and it'll appear in your text box. Click on "more" to get tons more!

Julie, I have no idea how you work on so many projects simultaneously. Do you have eight arms? Do you never sleep? What is it, 32, 33 CALs you're doing now?? :P I think we need to crown you the CAL queen. All Hail Julie, Queen of CALs! And Poet Laureate.

Everybody's making such great progress! :yay

I finished #58 last night, getting so close! (Although I do have to go back to 2 or 3 I skipped and complete them). I started laying them all out on the floor in the dining room for inspiration and it's helping. Hope to finish it this week (really, this time).

Tandi - you are so close to finishing! Woo hoo! Isn't it amazing how big this 'ghan is when you lay it out?! :) Good job, Jen, Claire and Diane! :cheer

Everyone sounds like they're making great progress and are getting to the point when you can start counting down instead of up! :lol

The Alternate Spike Stitch (#29) is driving me mad, MAD I tell you! I keep switching to smaller hooks, yet the thing keeps getting wider. Now it's 8 1/2 inches wide. Don't think I'll be edging this one, 'cause I'm sure not re-doing it AGAIN! It'll be big enough without edging!

I felt like I was moving right along until I hit this square. Now it's like hitting the wall. The square's as stiff as a wall, too, I swear!

If you'll please excuse me, I'll be losing my mind now! :bang

Oh dear, Claire! Hang on to the end of your rope! :eek

My squares came out all sizes too. I didn't change around hook size simply because I was too lazy! However, when it came time to sew everything together, the size differences weren't an issue. Just sewing everything together makes all the squares either stretch or scrunch a bit and looked fine. Luckily, a really huge square never ended up being next to a super small square. :)

Hi Everyone! I just got home and hope to get a square done. I am glad I read this thread though...

Twinnish- I had the same problem with my square 29! I thought it was the yarn. and the yarn I used was a bit stiffer for this one, but I think it was the stitch too. Mine is really thick and stiff too. I was going to tear it out, but after reading what...

Sue (pb&j) had to say, I think I'll leave it. It's pretty close to the right size. Thanks Sue!

And thanks Twinnish - it's good to know I am not alone. This is like group therapy!:ghug

I just posted on the main 63 squares thread that I wanted to join, but to be honest I'd be right here with you guys. I actually bought the book a few years ago and did about 3 or so squares, and that was the end of that, but I REALLY do want to start again and finish it. You guys have motivated me to break out my book and get started again! Course we'll see what really happens... ;)

Hi JinGA!

Welcome to the madness! As rddugan said, this is like group therapy. I was ready to just can the whole thing last night when square 29 started coming out huge after the umpteenth adjustment with the hook and the tension. I think I will just skip ahead and come back to it later, before the frustration dampens my enthusiasm for the whole project. It was very soothing to come on here this morning and read the words of encouragement and understanding....

Hee, hee, so I'm holding on to the end of my rope! :lol

For the moment I must go wake up children for school. Then maybe I'll try square #30....

Hi Gang

I have been MIA for a couple days so will try to make this an answer to each ofthe posts I missed .

Claire - thanks for crowning me the CAL Queen . I know I have gotten several rolling and am about ready to wrap up my Flower Garden ( Thank Goodness ) It has been a real challenge , sewing all them little idiots together . :lol

Hi Ho Jimbo !

Glad you dropped in here ! You are a real celebrity and we are honored with your presence. Glad you liked my little poem .

For all of you almost done - GREAT going .. I knew you could do it ! Can't wait to see photos of the finished products ! You'll be so proud when you get done !

For those of you struggling, don't give up. It is worth the effort to keep at it !

and Welcome to our new person, Jinga ! Glad you joined us. What colors are you using ?

Hi Pickles! This is the right place for you if you want to finish your 63 squares! This is such a big 'ghan that it's easy to put down for awhile. However, there are lots of gals here encouraging each other on! :cheer It's lots of fun even when you come across a square you don't like! The good news is that once you finish a square you don't like there are lots of nicer squares to work on.

One thing that a lot of people have come across is the fact that very few of the squares come out to exactly 7 inches before the edging. Don't worry too much about that if your somewhere in the neighborhood. When you sew everything together, it makes all the squares come together nicely.

Anyway, what colors are you using?

Morning all!

I finally made some progress on accursed square 29. I frogged it to the first row of sc and started over with an F hook. Now it seems to be keeping in line, but it's taking f -- o -- r -- e -- v -- e -- r! It's so slow compared to the other faster stitches. I swear it took me two hours to do 4 inches.

Of course, I was also putting kids in bed at the same time, so I couldn't have possibly been crocheting for the whole two hours. With any luck, I'll get it done today, then onward and upward!

I did it, I conquered the square 29! :hook

Whew!

It's a little closer to 8 inches wide, but oh well. That's better than being closer to 9!

I feel like I just got to the top of a great big hill. Thanks for cheering me on!

Thanks everyone! Color choices... so many to choose from. I was at Walmart yesterday, and hoping that some colors would just jump out at me, but nothing really did. I was thinking of using Caron in a red, white, blue color scheme, but the only white they had didn't match the darker blue and red I wanted to use. So I'm going to head to Michaels today and see if any yarn hits me there.

Everyone is doing a great job! Looks like some of the squares will be quite challenging, but help is but a click away here. Thank goodness for that.

Hey Pickles

Let us know when you decide on colors. I know what you mean about colors jumping out at you .. Sometimes I stand in the yarn aisle for a LONG time , holding different yarns up to each other trying to find a combination I like .

Hope you have some luck at Michael's !

Yes JinGA, schedule at least an hour of color-contemplating time with the yarn, if not more!

Last night during my recuperation from doing battle with square 29, I was thinking that royal purple, gold (not harvest gold, but a more muted gold) and possible ecru or some other neutral color might be a good combo.

Then I realized I was wearing a gold turtleneck (not harvest gold...) with a royal purple sweater over it. Heh, heh. I still think it would look nice! But I wish I had had that inspiration when I was standing in front of the Super Saver at AC Moore trying to decide which colors to use.

Oh well, the colors of the original are nice, too!

Archived