63 Wannabe Club

JulieKay

Jen, that's great! I knew the competitive pressure would egg you on!! :D

I got through the valley of the shadow of popcorn this weekend. I thought the popcorn diamond was going to be the death of me. What a pain! Thanks to the snowstorm I was able to complete 2 squares and start another. That's the only reason I'm happy to see snow, when it's bad enough for me to stay home from work. The downside is I have to use vacation time and I don't get my weekend differential. But getting the squares done makes up for it!!!!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Way to go, Jen! You're almost done! :cheer

Do you live on the east coast, Claire? My parents are there and got 2 feet of snow!! I had never seen that much growing up. Well, you got to work on some more squares anyway. Sometimes it's nice to be able to take a break from all the errands, chores, work, etc. :)

I live about 13 miles northwest of Boston. I'd say we got 15-16 inches of snow. It seems like NYC and environs got the worst of it, including a record 27 inches of snow in Central Park.

It was lovely to stay home on a Sunday and just crochet most of the day. Since I've been working weekends just about forever, I hardly ever get to do this. It was nice.

I have some relatives around Boston. Where ever you live on the east coast, it's a LOT of snow! My brother in NY said he shoveled snow for 4 hours on Sunday!! :eek What a workout!!

Well, I had so much fun with this 'ghan that I'm starting the 63 More Squares CAL today!!:hook

Hi Guys!

Claire and Jen, hope you're steadily progressing on your ghans!

I am down to 2 squares! Woo hoo! :yay

Hope to at least have all the squares done before we leave this Friday. I can put it all together when we get back, but it would be nice to know they are all finished!

Woo hoo, Tandi! You're practically done! Soon you'll be ready for the joining (boo) and then the fun part, the edging (yay!).

But first, have a wonderful trip!!

I am officially D-O-N-E with my squares!!! :yay Woohoooooo!!! Still have to put them all together, I think I might try something similar to the flat braid joining, has anyone used anything like that for these squares? I think it gives it a fancier edge and it's easy to do, especially with squares that aren't all exactly the same size. And it helps them all lay flatter. I may try it with a few and post here and see what you guys think. But it will be a while, my husband and I leave tomorrow for Japan so I'll have to tackle that when I get back!

Claire and Jen, hope you're knocking them out quickly!!!

Sue and Julie, thanks again for all the encouragement! :ty

I am officially D-O-N-E with my squares!!! :yay

---------

Tandi, congratulations! I made this afghan about 5 years ago (it took me on and off about a year to make), and I remember how great it felt when I finished up the squares.

Good luck with the assembly.

Yay, Tandi!! All your squares are D-O-N-E !! Fantastic!

I've never used the flat braid before and was planning on trying it out on the next 35 Granny square afghan I make someday...

Have fun in Japan! I'm pea green with envy!! I keep thinking of that movie "Lost in Translation" and the karaoke and the crazy tv shows. :lol

Thanks everybody! I'm so glad to have it almost over- this will actually be my first completed adult sized afghan (not counting comfort-ghans)!!

Renee, thanks for the encouragement, I'd love to see a pic of your first 63 if you have one.

Sue, I'm so excited about leaving! I got a huge kick out of Lost in Translation too. Aparently, they have private Karaoke rooms like they showed in the movie that you can rent out for a company party or with a group of friends!

(Have you seen that they now have an Iron Chef America on the Food Channel?) It's pretty cool. The last one I saw was Bobby Flay and some girl.

I'll have to show you a pic of a comfortghan I did with a similar join, but not as complicated, as the flat-braid. It's my favorite joining technique, and you don't have to edge squares even if they are different sizes.

Renee, thanks for the encouragement, I'd love to see a pic of your first 63 if you have one.

----

I wish I did! I donated it to Project Linus 4 years ago, and it was given away that same weekend to someone. Never did get a picture. Oh well. :)

I am officially D-O-N-E with my squares!!! :yay

Claire and Jen, hope you're knocking them out quickly!!!

Sue and Julie, thanks again for all the encouragement! :ty

You ROCK!!!!! :2rock What a great feeling that must be!! I'm proud of you!!!

On a related note, I got four done today. Just said to heck with everything else and crocheted today. So, I'll be joining you soon (I hope!)

Congrats!!!!!

Sue, I'm so excited about leaving! I got a huge kick out of Lost in Translation too. Aparently, they have private Karaoke rooms like they showed in the movie that you can rent out for a company party or with a group of friends!

(Have you seen that they now have an Iron Chef America on the Food Channel?) It's pretty cool. The last one I saw was Bobby Flay and some girl.

I'll have to show you a pic of a comfortghan I did with a similar join, but not as complicated, as the flat-braid. It's my favorite joining technique, and you don't have to edge squares even if they are different sizes.

My son gets a kick out of both shows. We're always laughing about the lame-o comments that the judges make during the show!! I saw the American version when Mo Rocca was on and thought he was hilarious! He was complaining that the show was very long and he was hungry and may he please have some breadsticks!! He was pretty funny on I Love the 70's, 80's,... series too. :lol

I'd love to see a pic of your flat-braid. :)

So I'm back from my very fun (but not at all warm) vacation in Texas! I did get quite a few squares done on all the planes and layovers :hook So now I have 2 left and am starting to think about joining the squares. I have to have this afghan completed by 3/3/06 so that is only 10 days away (and only 1 weekend). I did whipstictching on my first afghan but that was painfully slow. I'm considering joining by sc. I know that this will give a thicker effect but I think that is ok? :think Considering that I only used squares that were thicker (no holes, no popcorns, no pretty shells) I think that the thicker joining method would look ok too? I also think that it'll be a lot faster. Anyone think this sounds reasonable? Also for the edging I'm thinking two rounds of sc and then reverse sc on the last row? Are there any better ideas? My next gift will be for someone less picky than my sister :lol

So I'm back from my very fun (but not at all warm) vacation in Texas!

----------

Brrrr, it was cold this weekend in Austin (not sure where you were, but it was cold everywhere). Today it's in the 50s, but wet and that always makes it feel colder.

Good luck with finishing the last 2 squares! That's exciting.

My sister mentioned that she joins with slip stich, and for the 63 more that I'm working on, I'm going to try it. But with your squares, I think the sc joining would work just as well. Either way has to be faster than whipstitch (which I'll probably never do again, it's a PITB).

Renee,

Actually I was in Austin! It was a lot of fun even if it was a little chilly for you Texans. It was perfect shopping weather! You could run from the car to the store without needing a coat! The slipstitch is something I will think about. I'll probably try both methods with a few squares to see what happens.

Jen, I'm psyched that you're so close! You can do it by your deadline. As for edging, I haven't even thought that far ahead. I came to the horrible realization the other day that most of my rose and green squares do not have their second edge of scs. I counted and had something like 13 squares (out of 49 completed) which have completed edging. :eek

So I've stalled at 49 squares and started edging squares. Fortunately, it's so mindless I can do it just about anywhere. It goes quickly, too. But from now on, the last 14 squares are going to be edged as soon as they're done.

Good luck with the joining. The only afghan I ever did, I joined with a whipstitch. It was a baby afghan, so it wasn't too cumbersome. I think Julie joined hers with an sc. I'm sure she'll chime in!

Hi Jen

Glad you're back at it again and almost done ! Yes, I sc'd mine together, it goes so quickly that way . I hate sewing with a passion so sc is much better for me, but it's whatever you like best !

Poor Claire-

Just now finding out you need all that extra edging ! Glad you're being patient with it, you are also close to the end now !

Archived