Favorite/best thread

MoxieTonic

Hi! I want to get into thread crochet. I actually bought some thread and a hook last week but I'm finding that the thread is incredibly stiff.

Are there premium threads out there (I bought aunt Lydia thread from JoAnns) that are softer?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The Thread I use the most is DMC Cebelia Thread. It is very good quality thread.

I am a firm believer that many beginning thread people give up because they try and learn with cheaper threads and they can be fustrating for a beginner.

Try a better quaility of thread.

Nazi Gelin Garden is a very nice thread also.

Bernat makes a lovely size 5 thread that you can find on the Herrschners website. It is nice and soft and might make a great thread for you to get started with. Size 5 is slightly larger thread than the size 10 you most likely bought. Of course you will want a larger hook too.

Wishing you the best of luck with your thread experience. I am a dedicated thread lover and design most of my designs in thread. Always my medium of choice.

Since you work with thread alot, how does that work with thread. Like the lower the number the bigger the thread is? How about hooks. Is it the lower the number the bigger the hook???

Please let me know, I always get confused about how it works.

Carol:hook

The Thread I use the most is DMC Cebelia Thread. It is very good quality thread.

I am a firm believer that many beginning thread people give up because they try and learn with cheaper threads and they can be fustrating for a beginner.

Try a better quaility of thread.

Nazi Gelin Garden is a very nice thread also.

Bernat makes a lovely size 5 thread that you can find on the Herrschners website. It is nice and soft and might make a great thread for you to get started with. Size 5 is slightly larger thread than the size 10 you most likely bought. Of course you will want a larger hook too.

Wishing you the best of luck with your thread experience. I am a dedicated thread lover and design most of my designs in thread. Always my medium of choice.

Moxie, I ofter refer back to Tangleweeds, this "threadie website", she compares the different brands of threads, too, and teaches you so much, enjoy!...it's easy to spend a couple of hours there, lol. She has a page just on how to stiffen your doilies and snowflakes, too.

I pretty much stay with#10 thread at this point in my life, due to eyestrain. I love Cebelia and Lisbeth, and am finally getting braver about using some of the gorgeous colored threads these companies offer. For years I made everything in white and ecru or pastels, but I love experimenting with bright colors now, so much fun! Handy Hands sells thread for tatting and crochet, and will send you a beautiful color catalog too, so make sure you ask for it. Here's a sample of their #10 Lisbethcolors, you can poke around their site for more brands and choices... just wonderful!!

Are you making snowflakes?? doilies?? amigurumis??

Thank you so much, @katchkan and @mattenylou. I just looked and Joann.com has all their thread on sale. I'll try both brands to see what I like.

@kathckan - I'm actually using size 20. Do you think that is too ambitious to start?

@mattenylou - I want to get good enough to make an altar cloth. I thought I'd work up motifs until my stitches get even enough. But that colored thread you linked to makes me think I could practice on some fun things first.

Where do you like to get patterns? Do you prefer vintage patterns or are there some good places to get more contemporary ones?

Since you work with thread alot, how does that work with thread. Like the lower the number the bigger the thread is? How about hooks. Is it the lower the number the bigger the hook???

The bigger the number the smaller the thread. A size 20 is finer than a size 10 thread.

Same with hooks too. A size 12 hook is finer than a size 7 hook.

Thank you so much, @katchkan and @mattenylou. I just looked and Joann.com has all their thread on sale. I'll try both brands to see what I like.

@kathckan - I'm actually using size 20. Do you think that is too ambitious to start?

@mattenylou - I want to get good enough to make an altar cloth. I thought I'd work up motifs until my stitches get even enough. But that colored thread you linked to makes me think I could practice on some fun things first.

Where do you like to get patterns? Do you prefer vintage patterns or are there some good places to get more contemporary ones?

If you are comfortable with size 20 thread that is wonderful. I love the finer threads myself.

I don't use other peoples patterns these days as I am a designer. I create patterns for others to enjoy.

Most of the time I use Aunt Lydia's and Red Heart, what ever I can find, and that's about it. I got a ball of Caron at the thrift store (someone's cast off), and it is very soft. I used it for a doll skirt which is 36 inches around for a nine inch doll. That's a lot of skirt and it drapes very nicely.

Hi! I want to get into thread crochet. I actually bought some thread and a hook last week but I'm finding that the thread is incredibly stiff.

Are there premium threads out there (I bought aunt Lydia thread from JoAnns) that are softer?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks!

The only time I have ever had a problem with the thread you got is when it is OLD....I have bought thread at rummage sales & it is usually old & stiff like you got.

Thank You! Thank You! So much for the info. I wrote it down, now I know the difference in the sizes. :cheer:clap

The bigger the number the smaller the thread. A size 20 is finer than a size 10 thread.

Same with hooks too. A size 12 hook is finer than a size 7 hook.

I am sold on DMC Cebelia, which I usually use in size 10. I also agree with Granny Square that the Aunt Lydia's bamboo thread is limp, but it is soft to work with; I used it for a crocheted collar that I did not expect to be stiff or stiffened, and it was okay. The stitches did not have the definition of the Cebelia. I have also used the DMC perle coton sizes 5, 8, and 12.

I am also looking forward to doing altar cloths. I had not started one yet that I had promised my priest for his rectory chapel because it looked like he was going to be reassigned elsewhere, but now that he has been renewed for another year I think I will go ahead and start working on the lace, and just make it long enough so that if he is eventually moved elsewhere there would be enough.

Speaking of thread, I just noticed that Joann's is having a sale on several different brands of crochet thread including Cebelia and Handy Hands' Lizbeth line, as well as a free shipping promotion for orders over $40. As discounted, their prices are "only" about the same as discount sellers' , but the free shipping is a nice bonus. Free shipping is through midnight tonight, I guess (5/28), maybe the same thing for the sale, I don't know.

ETA info

Sounds like Cebelia is the resounding winner. Thank you everyone.

I was at my mom's today and had a chance to look at doilies and other work done by my great-grandmother. It was soooo inspiring. I have seen them my whole life, but never truly appreciated them until now. I can't wait to get more skilled.

I also have to say thank you to everyone in this forum. I've posted in other forums and been ignored, but you all were so helpful and welcoming. Can't wait to get more involved with the lovely people here. Cheers :)

Yes, the lower number hook is also the bigger hook.

-----------------------------------------------------------

• 3 years later...

Archived