Granny squares 2nd annual Happy Birthday Friendship/Comfortghan

We had a bad Omaha tornado  here, in 75, I remember it a little. Was very close to our house, my moms house actually, lol and we heard the train, but little or no damage to us and  just a few blocks away, it touched down and destroyed a path of miles wide, for miles long. But we heard it, and that was scary enough! The pic highlighted is or was a couple miles away from where we lived at the time, and were huddled in the basement.

• Replies 16.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:( So you all probably think I'm a bit odd for wanting to see a tornado "in person". I don't know why I do. It's probably got to do with the fact that they don't exist over here (ok... so very very rarely atleast). It's the same as I want to see a desert, mangrove swamps, a huge dam, and redwoods. :)

Hey Katy, I still have my turquoise, black and white squares, I might have a total of 10 all together, not sure.  

Here is my package I got from Emma!  the dark flower is actually purple.  I had the lights on but it was kinda dark due to the storm we were having!

post-2747-0-71298100-1369865647_thumb.jpg

Oh Emma, I need to take pictures of the swamps down here!  I know they aren't the same as seeing them in person.  It is strange going over a bridge that is 26 miles long, and it goes over nothing but swamp here!!!  You see lots of houses on stilts, that is normal where there is water because of the flooding during the hurricane season.  I have been involved in a tornado warning, never actually experienced one.  I went through and saw the damage that happened right outside of my town though.  My grandparents had a fig tree growing against their house and a tornado came through and took the tree, left the house though!!  That would be too close for comfort.

I had always wanted to know what a hurricane was like, until last year when I got to experience a very mild one.  Was like going through the snowstorms and blizzards I have been through, except it was rain insted of snow.  Not sure I would want to go through what Katrina was like back about 6-7 years ago for New Orleans!!! 

The best thing of all is I traded my sportster in for a new bike!!! I drove it, brand-new off the lot on Saturday! I already have 200 miles on it..... Dh is the black one on the left and my new jewel is the bass-boat blue one on the right.....

attachicon.gifIMG_1446.JPG

Nice ride! I am just about the only person in my family (extended family included) that doesn't have a motorcycle!

I've been on that 26 mile long bridge. My first time was kinda of scary. Alls you see is water more water and more water.LOL when I first seen the houses on stilts lets say I thought it was strange. I would be scared a alligator would come out from under it. I had my middle child in Houma, LA.. Maradi Gras was experience of a life time. The king cakes were neat. Don't get the baby or you buy the next cake. I miss living there.

lol this last mardi gras I got three babies!!!  too bad I had bought those cakes to begin with!!!

Houma is deep south!!!  it's around more water than NOLA isn't it???

the first time I ever went over the bridge, I didn't know what to think!  I like the one going to Lafayette too!  Nothing but Bayou, cypress trees and I always used to look to see if I saw an alligator floating! LOL

Yep me too. I looked every where I went for alligators. LOL Yes Houma was further south next to Gallenano (mispelled ) it was a bayou all the way there.

Ouch well at least you bought the three I would passed the babies out to someone else. LOL it is fun though .

The best thing of all is I traded my sportster in for a new bike!!! I drove it, brand-new off the lot on Saturday! I already have 200 miles on it..... Dh is the black one on the left and my new jewel is the bass-boat blue one on the right.....

attachicon.gifIMG_1446.JPG

How did I miss these bikes?! I love bikes. My Dad and Mr Skoggy's parents are all Harley riders and I used to ride a Yamaha Dragstar. Loving your bikes smith! Once the girls are alot older, I will get another one but not really practical at the moment. :)

Woah! A 26mile bridge!? I'd love to see that! And the alligators. (I love reptiles, by the way). I've been to a bit of the Everglades and loved spotting all the gators. A New Orleans Mardi Gras is also on my bucket list, I like Cajun and Creole food although would be great to taste some "proper" stuff. My Jambalaya is probably no where near Jambalaya. :D:lol

Hey Katy, I still have my turquoise, black and white squares, I might have a total of 10 all together, not sure.  

Here is my package I got from Emma!  the dark flower is actually purple.  I had the lights on but it was kinda dark due to the storm we were having!

Outstanding squares!

kuddles

im drooling over all the pretties!!!!!!!! Up early today, feels like a chore as I didn't sleep too well, storms almost all night, but have a brunch today, soooooo getting the face and bod ready, i think the next one I host, will be a come as you are, robes, slippers, etc, lol, that would suit me, something about getting my face on this early just doesn't sit well anymore with me, but i did it for years when I worked, you know, how soon we forget, lol      have a good one ladies!!!!!!

Morning All!  Yep, I'm actually up early.  Of course, I was in bed at 9pm last night, lol .  We had a nasty thunderstorm and I had to shut everything down, so I figured I might as well shut myself down too, lol.  It felt good to get a full night's sleep.  Today is supposed to be humid and in the high 80's, tomorrow in the 90's!  That's a big switch from the 50's a couple days ago.  Have a nice day all!

Oh wow! More tornados?! Stay safe ladies. Sometimes I'm thankful that I am in the UK although, I would love to just see a tornado. Just a little one, but see one with my own eyes.

I've seen a small funnel cloud up close and that was enough for me.  It came down the street, between our house and the neighbors and pulled up one of their old willow trees. (I was running across the street to go close our windows from the rain as this was happening, yikes!) Thankfully that's the only damage it left in our neighborhood.

lol you welcome hun!  I was afraid you wouldn't like the colors or anything like that!!!!

Well, I am going to have to get on my computer to post the picture of my squares.  Tried to here, but I don't know what program she uses to save them!!!  Oh well, will do it later.  Ya'll stay inside and be safe.  I know I will be.  HOpefully it won't get too dark and the lights won't go out cause silly me still hasn't bought a lighter or matches to light my candles!! LOL

You sound like me, we never have matches when we need them, lol.  Hope it didn't get too dark!

wow more goodies pouring in, huh! Everyone is doing such a fantastic job too!!

Snowflake, what happened to the turg. and black squares you were collecting, are you still???

oh, and Phoensix, and Dragnlady your puffy's went out today, so be on the look out in a few days for them, hope you can use them for you ghans! I enjoyed doing them in your colors Phoensix, and dragnlady, you were the first to call this spare 12 inch so it went out to you today!!

Ok, next question, how many of you are getting very close to finishing up collecting at least, not putting together yet, but collecting for your ghans?? Maybe a better time to ask that, would be in june, so think about it though!

Oh, been meaning to PM you.  I'd like to stay on the list even though our FFA is over.  Is that ok?  I have a long way to go on this blanket... 

We had a bad Omaha tornado  here, in 75, I remember it a little. Was very close to our house, my moms house actually, lol and we heard the train, but little or no damage to us and  just a few blocks away, it touched down and destroyed a path of miles wide, for miles long. But we heard it, and that was scary enough! The pic highlighted is or was a couple miles away from where we lived at the time, and were huddled in the basement.

Oh my gosh.  So scary!  I do sort of remember that storm.  Such destruction.

So you all probably think I'm a bit odd for wanting to see a tornado "in person". I don't know why I do. It's probably got to do with the fact that they don't exist over here (ok... so very very rarely atleast). It's the same as I want to see a desert, mangrove swamps, a huge dam, and redwoods.

No, I don't think you're odd.  I think most of us would like to see "rare" things in life, there is something about the power in storms of nature that draws people.  Of course, you may only get one chance to see it. :( I have seen the swamps in LA and redwoods in CA.  They are amazing! 

Very nice!

Oh Emma, I need to take pictures of the swamps down here!  I know they aren't the same as seeing them in person.  It is strange going over a bridge that is 26 miles long, and it goes over nothing but swamp here!!!  You see lots of houses on stilts, that is normal where there is water because of the flooding during the hurricane season.  I have been involved in a tornado warning, never actually experienced one.  I went through and saw the damage that happened right outside of my town though.  My grandparents had a fig tree growing against their house and a tornado came through and took the tree, left the house though!!  That would be too close for comfort.

I had always wanted to know what a hurricane was like, until last year when I got to experience a very mild one.  Was like going through the snowstorms and blizzards I have been through, except it was rain insted of snow.  Not sure I would want to go through what Katrina was like back about 6-7 years ago for New Orleans!!! 

I went on a cruise once upon a time, lol, and we stopped in New Orleans.  OMG!  What an experience!  I opted for a swamp tour instead of Bourbon St. (trying to stay away from the food, it was a Richard Simmons cruise, lol) Now, I have was we call swamps on either side of my house, but they are nothing like your swamps!   The trees with the moss hanging down were beautiful, I actually held a snake and a baby gator! (I'm terrified of snakes).  It was one of the best experiences of my life.

Hurricanes, yeah, not so great, ice storms, blizzards, snowstorms, sheesh!  The ice storm we had a few years ago that left us without power for 2 weeks was unreal.  It looked like a war zone around here.

lol this last mardi gras I got three babies!!!  too bad I had bought those cakes to begin with!!!

Houma is deep south!!!  it's around more water than NOLA isn't it???

the first time I ever went over the bridge, I didn't know what to think!  I like the one going to Lafayette too!  Nothing but Bayou, cypress trees and I always used to look to see if I saw an alligator floating! LOL

Uhh, I don't do bridges, nope, no way.  

Took a pic of my package, thanks again!!!

Nice!

im drooling over all the pretties!!!!!!!! Up early today, feels like a chore as I didn't sleep too well, storms almost all night, but have a brunch today, soooooo getting the face and bod ready, i think the next one I host, will be a come as you are, robes, slippers, etc, lol, that would suit me, something about getting my face on this early just doesn't sit well anymore with me, but i did it for years when I worked, you know, how soon we forget, lol      have a good one ladies!!!!!!

Oooowwww, a come as you are brunch sounds fantastic! I'd love to go to one of those.  I live in my pj's and slippers lately! LOL!  

wow more goodies pouring in, huh! Everyone is doing such a fantastic job too!!

Snowflake, what happened to the turg. and black squares you were collecting, are you still???

oh, and Phoensix, and Dragnlady your puffy's went out today, so be on the look out in a few days for them, hope you can use them for you ghans! I enjoyed doing them in your colors Phoensix, and dragnlady, you were the first to call this spare 12 inch so it went out to you today!!

Ok, next question, how many of you are getting very close to finishing up collecting at least, not putting together yet, but collecting for your ghans?? Maybe a better time to ask that, would be in june, so think about it though!

Yea. Can't wait to recieve it. thanks bunches for sending it. I just started my 'ghan with you guys so  am not very far at all. 

I live in Indiana. we have alot of tornados. I remember my first i was like 4 or 5 still riding a tricycle. I had just gotten it and me and my friends were outside and one of them asked to ride it and all a sudden my mom comes to the dor yelling, " No go hoome right now run there quick." and she made me come in. Soon after the hard rain and wind started. My sister was at a friends house just down the block and my big brother ( He was and always will be my HERO) braved the storm and went and got her and carried her home cause my mom was so worried about her. Best way to discribe my brother Google Sargent Slaughter.

Within 15 minutes of mom making me come in the tree we were playing under fell over. 

The first on I remember actually watching was in 1992 or 93. we stood out on our road and watched it go acrossed the skyline it hit the neighboring town which was about 10 miles away.  Tornados Scare me but at the same time they fascinate me.

I wear the Curves shorts that are supposed to make you sweat (and they definitely do!), and my pastor had bought me a Gold's Gym suit that makes you sweat (and it makes you feel like you jumped in the lake and the shirt is holding all the water!). Making me sweat all the impurities out and burn more calories, is what I was told!!

Snowflake, please reconsider wearing the sweat gear. The weight loss that those suits give is water weight only so it comes right back as soon as you start drinking normally (which is why they're popular with e.g., wrestlers trying to make weight before a match). The science on the calorie burning claims isn't very solid, but those claims come mostly from companies that sell the suits. Especially in a hot climate like yours, exercising in a sauna suit puts you at a very real risk for dehydration and heat exhaustion!! We wouldn't want the EMTs picking you up from where you collapsed on the roadside. :(

Your plan for increasing your distance sounds perfect, though! Walking in groups can help because you have the encouragement, but if you felt that trying to stick with the group pushed you too hard then you *definitely* made the right call. And you'll probably be up to their pace sooner than you think! :D

Sorry, my husband's a fitness nut (now a triathlete who considers a 14-mile duathlon a "fun training session" @_@ ) and it's a little contagious. I just don't want you to get hurt and walking in a sauna suit in LA really sounds like a potentially dangerous situation.

On a less serious note! Kuddles, maybe it's just the computer screen but it looks like those blue and yellow squares are a perfect color match for the one I sent you earlier this year! ^_^

thanks for the tip about the suit.  when I got the suit, it was fallish, so it wasn't as warm as it is now.  I had actually thought yesterday after my walk to stop wearing at least the shirt.  That is where I get the hottest!  I retain water, so losing the water weight isn't an "issue".  I didn't walk today as it was storming when I first woke up and I am a little sore, seems strange that my shoulders and neck hurts!  My calves hurt a little bit as well.  Guess I must be working some muscles I haven't worked in a long time!  If it isn't storming when I get off work, I might go walk for the two laps.  Once I get into better shape, I might join my pastor and the rest of them to walk.  Just right now I am not walking as fast as them or as far and I don't want to slow them down!

we had storms last night, storms this morning and now storms this afternoon!  This is the type of day I wish I was working at home, could take a nap!!! LOL.  I've been home working all week so far, so I guess I have to come in one day!!!

Hope everyone has a great day

lots to catch up on, and yes, grannyannie, we would love to have you stay with us on the list when the free for all is over, which by the way will be in two days, also two days to open the PUFFY in my craft room, waiting for me!!!!

Had to have a new something or another put on my ac unit today, something wasn't doing what it should be doing, and now it seems to be doing it again, so happy about that!

Brunch went great, had it in a club house at a gated communtiy, a reg. moved there recently, and wanted to stay in the rotation, so yeah, it was nice, sitting out by the pool munching on goodies, and coffees!!

Oh what else, no rain since this am early, but maybe scattered tonight, looks like Ok. is getting hit again too....or the potential to get hit again. Take care all, and stay safe, this is a dangerous year for tornados and bad storms, i think our Tor-con, is at a 5 which means 5 out of ten chance for geting one in the next few days......

Emma, if the UK doesn't get tornados, and hurricanes, and or stuff like that, is there anything weather does do there that is so destructive like this. Blizzards for instance, do you get those, or flooding, or tsunamis'?? just curious as to wht your weather diet is across the pond! Thanks!

Emma, if the UK doesn't get tornados, and hurricanes, and or stuff like that, is there anything weather does do there that is so destructive like this. Blizzards for instance, do you get those, or flooding, or tsunamis'?? just curious as to wht your weather diet is across the pond! Thanks!

Well, not really. We get a fair bit of rain and thats about it really. Sometimes, in the winter, we do get a lot of snow but by that I mean a lot of snow in British terms. Not like N.America or even Scandinavia, where I was living. The rain can get real bad and some places flood. This is Heworth which is literally just over a bridge from me in 2012: http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2012-06-29/the-day-after-the-storm/ and this is the same storm in Newcastle City centre: http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2012-06-29/lightning-strikes-the-tyne-bridge/ but I'd say thats the worst that hits us. :)

Archived