January '12 Charity CAL: 1/19 - 1/24

nicolep

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ready :hook

Went to my knitting group (crochet) today, thought I was going to start on the ubw during the meeting, :blushforgot what the pattern was, I thought I had it memorized, but what I did didn't seem right, so I had to put it away and work on it this evening :hook

:cheer

I hate it when I do that.

I finished the first side of the prayer shawl last night and will start the second one today. I'm going to have just enough yarn to make the whole thing and almost no extra. That's a little closer than I like to cut it.

Ready :hook

Went to my knitting group (crochet) today, thought I was going to start on the ubw during the meeting, :blushforgot what the pattern was, I thought I had it memorized, but what I did didn't seem right, so I had to put it away and work on it this evening :hook

:cheer

:lolI had the pattern right, I was using the wrong size hook :eek, at least I did still have the pattern memorized, guess I need to memorize hook :hook size with that :rofl

Well I have now completed 2 hats, more time for hats later tonight.:hook

I'm glad to hear so many of you are doing so well with your charity items. I'm plugging away on the HAP afghan. I hope to have this one finished by the end of the CAL and the other one at least started. Let's keep our :xfin!

I am working on a lapghan for a friend's husband. He has had bad health (bad heart) for a number of years but now the doctors are only giving him at the most 6 more months to live. Hospice has been called in. I am in the "Boxing Day - 2012" CAL and posted there I was working on this lapghan but wasn't sure if it could be considered "charity" work but the coordinator there (Dorothysgirls) said she considered it was a "hospice" item. So I thought I would continue working on it with this CAL. I did think I would be done with it by now but life is getting in the way. Tuesday evening my hubby and I learned of the sudden death of a very good friend. He was our best man. My hubby and I got married on January 14, 1989, and our friend passed on January 17, 2012, just 3 days after our 23rd wedding anniversary. We will miss our friend a whole lot but know we will see him in heaven someday.

Sorry I missed the start of this as I was looking forward to joining in once again.

I think I will just jump in here and see what I can get finished anyway. I need the focus of a CAL to get lapghans done. :hook

I'll pay closer attention next month. :blush

I am working on a lapghan for a friend's husband. He has had bad health (bad heart) for a number of years but now the doctors are only giving him at the most 6 more months to live. Hospice has been called in. I am in the "Boxing Day - 2012" CAL and posted there I was working on this lapghan but wasn't sure if it could be considered "charity" work but the coordinator there (Dorothysgirls) said she considered it was a "hospice" item. So I thought I would continue working on it with this CAL. I did think I would be done with it by now but life is getting in the way. Tuesday evening my hubby and I learned of the sudden death of a very good friend. He was our best man. My hubby and I got married on January 14, 1989, and our friend passed on January 17, 2012, just 3 days after our 23rd wedding anniversary. We will miss our friend a whole lot but know we will see him in heaven someday.

I would certainly consider the lapghan a charity item. Just because you know the person, doesn't mean they need our help and support any less.

Hi, Darski!

I've added about 6 rows to the second side of the prayer shawl and hope to do more on it later today.

About half way through an adult afghan, and have complete two preemie blankets. Trying to emphasize the preemie blankets the rest of the weekend. Two days of power outages with the snow, icy rain/wind. We got 9" of snow then it was topped with icy rain. Last night had high winds and lost three trees in our yard and the tops out to two others. Rural living can be an adventure. Finally got out today for groceries. We are surrounded by very steep hills and didn't want to compete for space on the slick roads with other drivers. Warmer today with some actual real sunshine so my spirits soared.

About half way through an adult afghan, and have complete two preemie blankets. Trying to emphasize the preemie blankets the rest of the weekend. Two days of power outages with the snow, icy rain/wind. We got 9" of snow then it was topped with icy rain. Last night had high winds and lost three trees in our yard and the tops out to two others. Rural living can be an adventure. Finally got out today for groceries. We are surrounded by very steep hills and didn't want to compete for space on the slick roads with other drivers. Warmer today with some actual real sunshine so my spirits soared.

Please stay safe. Your weather sounds challenging to say the least.

My quiet weekend turned crazy when Kim, the lady I care for, got sick this afternoon. She ended up going to the hospital via the ambulance and is now in the ICU and on a respirator. Her lungs are in very bad shape. I finished the prayer shawl while waiting for her aunt, uncle, and mom to arrive from south Georgia tonight. They are now on the way here from the hospital. Prayers for Kim and all of us would be greatly appreciated. This prayer shawl has a LOT of prayers included in it. She got sooo sick, sooo fast. It's going to be touch and go for at least the next few days.

I'm going to work on baby hats since I don't have supplies to hand for a lapghan. I need lots of hats for a Nicaraguan mission I have helped before. The baby vests take a tad longer than hats.

Next month I will put together my Purples and be ready to start on time. :eek

I have been slacking this round. Dh and I had date night with a couple of friends last night after a work week from...well I'm sure you've all been there. It was very nice. My sister has a heart procedure tomorrow so I'll have a couple hours working on a baby blanket. I have plenty of yarn in my closet for at least one to get started on today while watching the game.

Kathy, sorry to hear about all of the sadness you are dealing with. Since Jan 1, I have had 3 people in my life commit suicide. I don't know how to process that.

So...I made 19 blankets and 3 toys from a bolt of fleece that I bought when a WalMart near me closed their fabric section.

post-13802-135897729598_thumb.jpg

I really like using plastic hooks - they are warmer on my hands but once in a while an old timer just can't take the pressure. :rofl

post-4896-135897729756_thumb.jpg

Oh well... only another 1,000 5.5mm to go :lashes

I'm so loving this hat making thingy.:manyheart

Still working on the lapghan for my friend's hubby (the one who doctors feel only has 6 more months to live). But I think a miracle is in the makings. He was at church today. He did walk slower than he normally walks but looked and sounded good. I still want to finish this lapghan as soon as I can for him. But just maybe the good Lord will let him enjoy it for several more years instead of just a few months.

With Kim in the hospital and in ICU in critical condition, I don't know if I'll get to do anything more for the CAL this time. I did finish a prayer shawl and will take a picture of it at some point.

Archived