January '12 Charity CAL: 1/19 - 1/24

nicolep

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, everyone has been busy! Who are the people who stitch together? Mother-daughter? Friends? How fun!!

And the prayer shawl is amazing. You have had me drooling over those a few times, haven't you?

Well, this CAL came just at a time I need inspiration. Our animal shelter is having our first ever volunteer meeting that will be a gathering of people who go to the retails stores (Petsmart, Petco) and look after the cats that are "living" in their adoption centers waiting for a new home. We clean up after them and give them time out of the kennels. We never have enough toys. So much of the money goes to spay/neuter and meds. So last Thursday I figured I could make about 8 or so crochet toys at my quilt club meeting or I could recruit help cutting fleece fish. I took fleece rems and scissors. So many people wanted to help that there were no scissors left for me. My friends cut 65 fish and I spent the weekend sewing, stuffing and sewing some more. But now they are done and are ready to meet the kitties! Here are the fish getting ready for a swim to get the funny fleece smell off:

post-13802-135897730631_thumb.jpg

I don't stuff them with any catnip because it gets ruined the first time the toy gets washed. So I put them in the plastic pretzel barrels (like from Costco) with catnip satchels. The toys soak up the catnip smell and the cats love on them for awhile and when the smell wears off, they bat them around.

So, in the end I made:

68 toys

19 blankets

2 crochet mats (and one on the hook)

Wow, everyone has been busy! Who are the people who stitch together? Mother-daughter? Friends? How fun!!

And the prayer shawl is amazing. You have had me drooling over those a few times, haven't you?

Well, this CAL came just at a time I need inspiration. Our animal shelter is having our first ever volunteer meeting that will be a gathering of people who go to the retails stores (Petsmart, Petco) and look after the cats that are "living" in their adoption centers waiting for a new home. We clean up after them and give them time out of the kennels. We never have enough toys. So much of the money goes to spay/neuter and meds. So last Thursday I figured I could make about 8 or so crochet toys at my quilt club meeting or I could recruit help cutting fleece fish. I took fleece rems and scissors. So many people wanted to help that there were no scissors left for me. My friends cut 65 fish and I spent the weekend sewing, stuffing and sewing some more. But now they are done and are ready to meet the kitties! Here are the fish getting ready for a swim to get the funny fleece smell off:

[ATTACH]50867[/ATTACH]

I don't stuff them with any catnip because it gets ruined the first time the toy gets washed. So I put them in the plastic pretzel barrels (like from Costco) with catnip satchels. The toys soak up the catnip smell and the cats love on them for awhile and when the smell wears off, they bat them around.

So, in the end I made:

68 toys

19 blankets

Amazing and fabulous toys! You did great this month! :cheer :cheer :cheer

Wow, everyone has been busy! Who are the people who stitch together? Mother-daughter? Me and Pineknott = Me(Daughter) and Mother :DFriends? How fun!!

[ATTACH]50867[/ATTACH]

So, in the end I made:

68 toys

19 blankets

Great amount of items you got made, I too love the shawl. Looking forward to seeing the totals.

René

yes its the mother/daughter team of pineknott and piscescrocheter

[ATTACH]50867[/ATTACH]

So, in the end I made:

68 toys

19 blankets

Still plugging away on my lapghan. When I started it (rectangle granny square using red, white, and blue RHSS) I thought I would make 3 rows of each color with a total of 3 repeats making a total of 27 rounds. Then finish it with one row of dc of each color. Now I am on that last 27th round but have decided to make one more repeat and finish it with 2 rows of dc of each color. That would make it 42 rounds. A little larger than an lapghan. I'm trying to make it long enough for him to use while reclining in his recliner to cover him from under his arms to cover his feet. So I will keep plugging away.

No, anyone is welcome to do them if you'd like to see them.

My nephew has been in the hospital and I haven't had the time to deal with it.

I'm going to step down from hosting this CAL. Thanks all!

Edit - Oops! That might have come out differently than I intended. I didn't mean to come across snarky. If I did, I apologize. I just have so many other things taking my time both in life and on this forum. I'd love for someone else to step up and continue the CAL. I'm not going to be able to put any more time into it though. Thanks for participating everyone! :manyheart

Nicole, I'm sorry to hear your nephew is in the hospital, I will keep him and your family in prayer. Thank you for hosting the January CAL.

Thank you. It has been so stressful on all of us. We're all working and taking turns being at the hospital. One of us is there 24 hours a day. I found out this evening that his temperature spiked again just when we thought he was stable.

Hi, everyone. Sorry I've been MIA the last couple of weeks. I'll be glad to be the hostess for our monthly charity CAL. Skysmom has offered to be my backup so between the two of us we should be able to keep this fun CAL going for a good long time. I always look forward to it.

Nicole, I will keep your nephew in my prayers and all the family. It's so hard to have someone in the hospital.

Miss Kim, the lady I care for, has been in the hospital for the last 13 days, 8 days in ICU. But she will probably be coming home today. She loves watching my make things for this CAL, especially the preemie hats. She puts them on her fingers and laughs at how small they are.

Archived