Boxing Day 2012!

dorothysgirls

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Beth, I am going to try the fist shaking theory on everything now! It can't hurt, right?

And pineknot, you're going to have to up your goal! You're going to be at 100 hats in no time!!

It will be minus 10 or 12 in a weeks time

I decided to share the love,and send some hats with hubby and his mom when they go to Canada,to give an aunt for her church.

You're right tho,I'll probably will keep making them,its certainly helping me with my stash busting scores,maybe I'll check with the physicans to see where they travel and if they accept hats for cold climates.

I hope it's okay to join in midyear. I crochet items for the Bridge and Beyond charity. They provide knit and crochet items to the homeless in central Ohio. I posted on my blog photos of my most recent donation.

glad you could join us

Finally settled, mostly. I found several local drop offs or Project Linus so i may start back on baby blankets since there is no real call for hats/scarves in AZ.

I adjusted my score for hats made

14 of the 63 made will be going to Canada this weekend

so now its 100/63-49....still need to make 100 for local use,does that make sense?

Hi Susan,

Peoria, AZ here....you'd be shocked at the need for hats. (Or maybe you will first be shocked when you see that it really DOES get to 120+ degrees here) Then you will be shocked at the need for hats. Last year I took some to the Veteran's shelter and about half were scooped up before I could put the bag down.

I sell them at craft shows (and do well) and donate any leftovers to the VA. Then start over in January again.

Hi Susan,

Peoria, AZ here....you'd be shocked at the need for hats. (Or maybe you will first be shocked when you see that it really DOES get to 120+ degrees here) Then you will be shocked at the need for hats. Last year I took some to the Veteran's shelter and about half were scooped up before I could put the bag down.

I sell them at craft shows (and do well) and donate any leftovers to the VA. Then start over in January again.

Where is that??

I don't remember the exact location, but I went when I had jury duty, so it wasn't far from downtown (Phx). In fact, I think someone from here or the Blitz Weekend CAL told me about it. Let me see if I can google some info again.

I used to take them to the VA hospital, which is also in central Phx.

Need to update my postings. Since I last posted I have finished 2 more caps. One an adult beanie done in bright orange RHSS yarn. The other is an adult beanie done in Caron Simply Soft, Plum Wine color. This one is a chemo cap. I am now making a slouchy beanie using the same Plum Wine color Caron SS. Last year after I lost my hair due to chemo I found I really liked wearing the slouchy beanie because I could let it lay across the back of my neck to keep it warm. Plus as your hair begins to grow in the regular beanie caps don't fit as snug and come off your head easily. At least mine did. But I did not have trouble with the slouchy beanie. I have now finished 33 charity projects this year. Slow, but steady. :turtle

I managed to finish 11 hats last week for the Bridge and Beyond. I've been using the Total Fpdc Hat pattern because it makes thick and warm hats. I'm still hopeful I can complete my goal of 100 hats donated this year. I'm trying to get as much done now because the entire month of July we will have visitors and around November things will get hectic with our big move to Hawaii.

post-29092-135897758816_thumb.jpg

Thanks Fastforward for the link to the hat pattern. I want to add this pattern to the ones I make for my charity projects. Here in Tennessee our winters are fairly mild but still for someone who rides a bus to work (like I use to) or a homeless person you still need something that is warm. I think this pattern will do the trick. Thanks!!!!

Oh, sorry. That was supposed to be a PM!

:lol thank you!! I love the UBW hats s I'll get started back making them

I started my mission of making hats when spending time with my friend who was going through chemo. I spent many days with her while she went through her treatments. I started making hats because of the few I saw there and many of them were made with harsh yarns. I have 5 or 6 hats right now I need to finish up, wash and bring in. Even 2 I made and almost have finished from last night/this morning..because you see this morning I sat with her husband when my dear friend Marilyn made her transition to heaven. Her spirit was willing to fight that cancer, not only once, but twice. But, in the end it won. She is now free of pain and a body that was not able to continue on.

Please pray for her husband Ron, and the rest of the family.

I will continue to make hats and bring them to that office in memory of Marilyn.

Mary, I made a Marilyn hat this weekend. It is green and made from Homespun. I got a bunch of Homespun on clearance at Michaels several months ago. I thought they were not great colors for hats so I was going to use them for cat mats. But as it was the only soft yarn I had around, I used it and it looks pretty good.

My mom asked the nurse at her oncologist if they could use some hats to have on hand for people who are losing their hair for the first time (my mom has lost hers 3 times) and she said YES! She said that a lot of people are to embarrassed to go out and buy them or can't get them this time of year in AZ. They need them because the a/c can be as bad on your head as the sun can.

I will make a hat "for Marilyn" this weekend too.

Mary, I made a Marilyn hat this weekend. It is green and made from Homespun. I got a bunch of Homespun on clearance at Michaels several months ago. I thought they were not great colors for hats so I was going to use them for cat mats. But as it was the only soft yarn I had around, I used it and it looks pretty good.

My mom asked the nurse at her oncologist if they through they could use some hats to have on hand for people who are losing their hair for the first time (my mom has lost hers 3 times) and she said YES! She said that a lot of people are to embarrassed to go out and buy them or can't get them this time of year in AZ. They need them because the a/c can be as bad on your head as the sun can.

aww you guys are choking me up.. Thank you from me and I'm sure from Marilyn too.

I saw her hubby this week..He is still a mess, but doing better. One day at a time...

FrLopLady/Mary I will keep Marilyn's husband in my prayers.

I have been in a crocheting slump recently. It has been taking me so long to make a very simple cap/beanie. I even tried making a couple using my own design but when I make one using my own design it takes me even longer. At least the first time I make one of my own design. Then I saw a thread here in C'ville about making washcloths for the soldiers and had a "A-hhhhh" moment. Since I had some brand new cotton yarn that I was really wanting to play with I switched to making washcloths. I made 2 washcloths in no time at all. Now I am on my third one. So I think for at least a couple of months I will be making washcloths instead. What a way to try new stitches and make something useful at the same time.

Archived