flap hats in Florida

crochetobsession

I wish I would have stumbled upon this site sooner! I made a hat with flaps for my brother for Christmas (he lives up north) and couldn't find one that I liked so I basically just added flaps to a regular crochet hat pattern. It turned out ok, but I like yours better...

• 2 weeks later...
I love those hats! Is that a free pattern or a paid pattern?

Thanks for asking! My husband's hat was part pattern/part winging-it. Here's the quote from the blog site:

"I used mostly the hat pattern in the Interweave Knits 2004 Crochet issue ...I wanted the look of a rolled brim hat without the bulkiness. So I added a border of front-post stitch, then alternated front post and back post (every 3 stiches) to create a cabled look, then another border of just front-post. I added the earflaps after this point (earflap width was 19 stiches, 'I' hook). I then did a little chain to hold the toggle to pull the earflaps back by going back over the chain with slip stitches."

My little boy's hat was pure winging it. I used dc instead of the hdc I used in my husband's hat. Then when I just finshed the top part, I stuck it on my kid's head while I marked where his ears were with bobby pins. (This is tough with a wiggly 3 year old!) Then just decreased stiches to form the flap part.

If you have any other questions, you may post or email!

Archived