Ebook Readers

I just received my new nook today its all charged up and at the moment I am copying patterns off the pc to the nook. I am very anxious to see what it can and can't do. I am hoping it will be an invaluable tool. how many of you use an ereader and how do you like it

I have a Kindle, but would not use it for patterns. I like to be able to mark them up. Also the Kindle has a rather short time-out period before it goes back to the screensaver and that can't be adjusted (one of the few things I don't like about it), so it would be kind of a hassle to use it for something you needed to stay on one page for a long time to consult.

For books, love, love, love it!

I personally love my kindle and I have my pattern ebooks on it. But then again, I don't mark up my patterns ... I don't mind the 10 minute wait timeout though, either... personal preference :)

I cannot wait for crochet and crochet today to go electronic so I can have it delivered to my kindle instead of paper.

I have been looking at the nook color. I read a lot and it would be great to have it for pattern books also. I've just been waiting to see if it might go down in price:)

I think I am one of the few people around who doesn't like the electronic readers at all. First off, I borrow a lot of the novels from my library and only buy crochet books and craft books and cookbooks. I just like browsing through real books when I need to relax or just find something I want to craft.

A few of my friends have them and love them, me, I guess I am more old fashioned when it comes to books.

LI Roe

I think I am one of the few people around who doesn't like the electronic readers at all. First off, I borrow a lot of the novels from my library and only buy crochet books and craft books and cookbooks. I just like browsing through real books when I need to relax or just find something I want to craft.

A few of my friends have them and love them, me, I guess I am more old fashioned when it comes to books.

LI Roe

When the kindle first came out I said "no no no no NO" I didn't want it, I like the feel of a real book and all the same from above. Once I was able to use one, I realized that it has a place. I truly enjoy mine but that doesn't mean I will never buy a paper book again. There are certain books I think are best enjoyed in paper but there are also books that I want to index away :)

I have to agree with cris when they first came out I thought about how I wouldn't like one because I like the feel of a good book in my hands. So much easier to curl up with I thought. I bought the Nook Color specifically because I was carrying a three ring binder around with patterns and photos for folks to preview for special order. Now I have it all in a slim little machine I love it. Also when I travel its wifi ready so I can stop at some wifi hot spots and check email and *cough*cough* my social media stuff. I do not plan to put many ebooks on it only a few for traveling. Oh and I love I can put videos, pictures and music on it another plus for traveling.

lol as you can see I had many reasons to get my ereader.

LI Roe

Did you know that some e-readers are able to borrow from libraries and others that would like to share books? the nook has a lend me ability and I am not sure which one does the library but a friend that is a librarian told me they lend them on the e-readers

There are also libraries that are doing electronic books (download online) that corrupt after two weeks. I'm sure bigger cities are doing it first. My city is starting to get them all online.

I don't have a separate e-reader, but I used the iBook function on my phone all of the time. It won't replace books for me, but it's nice to always have a few in case I'm stuck some place.

I own a NookColor and I was on the opinion before I received one, that I wouldn't like it...now it's one of the best presents I've ever received! Now, I need to find a crocheted nookcolor pattern that's pretty and protective, haven't seen one though.

I have been looking at the nook color. I read a lot and it would be great to have it for pattern books also. I've just been waiting to see if it might go down in price:)

i don't see them coming down in price soon but a fried gave me a good idea...buy barnes and noble giftcards and save them until you have enough to purchase it like layaway. I just buckled down and paid bills early so that i could get mine. I love it especially since i can bring tons of patterns with me. I love the ability to set the time out mine is at an hour and the ability to enlarge the print to. Also i do alot of crochet with lighted hooks in darker settings and the backlight helps me work more things in those instancces

I love my Kindle! I had stopped reading because ny eyes don't seem to stay focused right in regular books fo any length of time since I had to go to bifocals -- but the Kindle is great. No eye strain and I stay in focus. I haven't used it for crochet patterns yet though. I think it would be great for that too once I get used to it. I love having instant access to so many books wherever I might be! On a recent trip, I finshed my book. No problem, I just ordered another. I have a couple of word games that are great little time killers too. The only negative I find at all is that you have to turn it off during airplane takeoff and landing, wich can mount to some time, depending on airport and approach. But that is a good time to flip thru the Sky Mall magazines. :)

Buying the gift cards is a good idea. I'll have one soon. I was leaning toward getting an ipad until I came across the nookcolor and it has all the functions that im looking for and way cheaper. Like some have said it won't replace an actual book for me but it would make it much easier to carry around reading material:)

I own a NookColor and I was on the opinion before I received one, that I wouldn't like it...now it's one of the best presents I've ever received! Now, I need to find a crocheted nookcolor pattern that's pretty and protective, haven't seen one though.

I posted a pattern on my blog a while back. I used leftover Lopi, but you can use any yarn of a similar chunky thickness.

http://wildknitter.blogspot.com/2010/08/nookkindle-cover-pattern-crochet.html

:c9

I adore my NookColor! I find that I'm reading more now that I have it. I even joined a book group in the area! All of the books they are going to be reading this year are available as eBooks through Barnes and Noble.

I've also downloaded (or side-loaded, as they say), my pattern pdfs and the digital copies of my digital crocheting and knitting magazines (they are pdfs, too). I haven't tried the library ebooks yet, but I've heard people have great success with those.

:c9

• 3 weeks later...

Yea, just this past month, I've been wondering about using a Color Nook for this very purpose. In one of the crochet groups that I belong to, people are just crocheting at their computers or laptops (neither option appealed to me, and once in a while I like a printed copy to refer to). But the idea of having a portable slim unit to carry to the library (for a meeting of a crochet group), or just to carry to another room. I like the "condensed idea" of having my patterns in one place for traveling, etc. Maybe we need a "sub-forum" for e-reader users, for hints, tips and tricks. Just one senior crocheter trying to move with the future. Doris

Archived