Our House Part Two

JulieKay

Just wanted to pop in and congratulate Tab on winning a Jimbo hook for his Valentine's Day give-away!!!! :clap

And congratulate Phyllis on winning a free class from Crochetville in the Crochetville Birthday Celebration give-away!!!!:clap

So happy for both of you!!!!!:yay

• Replies 20k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning folks

Cindy

Sorry you are still under the weather. There must be some type of flu stuff going around. Steph emailed and said Cam is sick this AM --- he was off school today anyhow for teacher inservice days ,so he wont miss for a sick day . So far he has a fever and sore throat. Hope he soesnt get anything more -- he has been sick so many times,but has done better as he gets older .

The slippers sound nice - I actually learned how to knit them many years ago,I took a knitting class at a local store that is no longer there now. they taught me the knit slipper pattern -- maybe the same one you are using ?

It looks like this one : http://www.craftingranny.com/content/?section=3&section2=38&page=38&m=38

***NOTE - you may want to turn down the sound before viewing the page,unless you like Beer Barrel Polka music.*****

Mary

Thank you for the recipe for the soup. I may just go get the stuff to make that for Sam tonite for supper .Wont he be surprised ? No spaghettios and a real live homemade recipe ! I'll have to go look for most of those things. I've never had them os used them . And do you use like the plain tortilla chips(triangle things) or is that something different ? We probably dont have as good a supply of those type items here in PODUNK LAND .

Faile

Your post made me think of a book written a few years back -- a true story called The Orchid Thief. I think it was written by Susan Orlean ? Maybe you have read it,but it was about people who collect orchids and how some are so rare that they actually try to PILCH them in some way. Thought it might be interesting to you if you love orchids so much .

Joanne

Thanks for letting us know about TWO of our house people winning items in here . Isnt that neat ? I bet Tab and Phyllis are both excited .

Take care --Fridays here so maybe you'll get time to rest a bit .

'morning, peeps!

Hi Jude

The new rr is very pretty,as they all are that you make.So many different color combos ! Thanks!

The orchid is beautiful. I hope you have a better green thumb than me . I used to have lots of plants, but they all kicked the bucket . The lighting we get isn't terrific for some plants - hopefully this orchid will beat the odds:lol

What book is your group discussing ?

some old book from the 70's...can't remember the author or title - it takes place on and around an Indian reservation. Fiction, and the author's first book, which really showed. I couldn't finish it.

I asked the lady who started the book club if we could possible branch out into non-fiction. My brain is turnign to mush with so much fiction that isn't worth the time to read. She thought it was a good idea - we have to see who else agrees,

I spent nearly all day today huddled under an afghan by the fire. I read a little, and napped a little. I did manage to make dinner and do laundry in between naps. I now feel quite a bit better, but my nose is red and sore and I look like a clown.

I have the same problem, depending on the tissues I use. I hope you're a lot better today:hug

Just wanted to pop in and congratulate Tab on winning a Jimbo hook for his Valentine's Day give-away!!!! :clap

And congratulate Phyllis on winning a free class from Crochetville in the Crochetville Birthday Celebration give-away!!!!:clap

So happy for both of you!!!!!:yay

Congrats!

I have to quit hiding under a rock and explore the ville:lol

Good morning everyone!! Friday is here!! I am sitting here with my cup of coffee.. I hope you all have a great day!!

You have a great one, too.

Hugs and healing wishes to everyone who needs them.:hug:manyheart

Hi folks

I thought I'd drop a question in this morning for a JUST BECAUSE .

Since it is sort of the BLAH time of year,where we are all looking forward to Spring, I thought maybe a Spring post would cheer us up .

Our winter hasnt been bad yet, in fact,the best I've seen in many years. So many days of sunshine.

Let's ask :

What do you look forward to in Spring ? Name some signs of spring, colors, events, etc that you enjoy about spring .

Hi folks

Since it is sort of the BLAH time of year,where we are all looking forward to Spring, I thought maybe a Spring post would cheer us up .

Our winter hasnt been bad yet, in fact,the best I've seen in many years. So many days of sunshine.

Let's ask :

What do you look forward to in Spring ? Name some signs of spring, colors, events, etc that you enjoy about spring .

What else: the colorful flowers are the best thing about Spring!:D

Jude

Yes, I think a nonfiction might spice things up a birt in your group. Maybe a memoir ?

Have you read The Liar's Club by Mary Karr ? I LOVED that book . It would give lots of fodder for a reading group .

I tend to enjoy nonfiction much more than fiction for some reason .

Jude

I agree, I like seeing those first little green stems sticking up out of the ground. We have a few spring flowers that still bloom in our yard ( I REALLY need to plant more bulbs.the old ones are all pretty much worn out )

Whats your favorite spring flower ? I like the pink tulips. or the lilac ones ..

Hi folks

Let's ask :

The first flowers with their pretty colors, and the beginning of the leaves on the trees. The green looks so clean and cheerful after the gray and white of winter.

Hi everyone. :flower

Spring is wonderful! I love everything about it, except our severe weather and that it doesn't last long here. :lol We usually go from winter to summer with not much in between. :)

Faile ~ Ooh, your yarn sounds so pretty. I'm so glad you're enjoying the new hobby!

Amy ~ I hope you can rest that back today. :manyheart

Julie ~ The recipe is really easy - you can use any corn tortilla chips and just break them into the bowl right before adding the soup. (I don't think the flavor of Fritos would be good, though.:think) And if you can't find cilantro there, flat leaf parsley works fine!

Cindy ~ I hope you're feeling much better today. :hug

Ladies doing the Mystery CAL ~ Have fun!

Congratulations to Tabby and Phyllis! :clap

I have errands this morning, so had better get ready. Have a great morning.:manyheart

Good morning. Sun is shining here, but it is cold.

Congrats to Tab and Phyllis on their wins. I agree with Judy, I have to branch out more often. Every once in a while I venture to different areas of the Crochetville forums, but it's been a while.

Julie, the second slipper I made is similar to that pattern. The first one was a checkerboard pattern. Now to make one more of each.....

I am feeling somewhat better this morning, and am hoping I am even better tomorrow. I have to work tomorrow and since it is Saturday, I definitely don't want to call in sick. Not sure what I will do today, besides clean bathrooms.

BBL.

Good morning House,

I'm feeling somewhat better but still somewhat congested.

Congrats to Tab and Phyllis on their win.

Julie - I've completed all 12 squares on the MCAL. I'm currently working on an afghan for my cousin's birthday in March.

Tab - It was good to hear from you. I hope you're getting some "ME" time for a little R&R.

Cindy - I'm sorry you didn't get to shop as you'd planned. However, you probably needed an afghan cuddle day doing very little.

Joanne - You're doing good on the MCAL squares considering that you're working long hours. I'm glad you decided to stay on board.

Faile - I'm glad you're having fun with your new hobby. I can't wait to see pictures.

Mary - That recipe sound wonderful. I'll have to pass it along to my sister as a request for my next visit home.

Amy - I'm glad your back is getting better. What are you working on?

Judy - I hope you're not catching anything.

I love everything about spring...the new green trees after looking at bare bark and the pretty colorful flowers. Oh and the chirping birds.

Just dropped off my DNep...now taking my DNie to shop.

Have a good day all...BBL!

Good morning ladies :hi

Not much going on around here today and it doesn't even feel like Friday to me. I have some paperwork since a friend had faxed me a copy of one of the forms she uses....the one I was using is 'too involved' and got somewhat confusing. So now to update :lol

Spring :think Well, I like driving with my windows down :D Although I enjoy winter, I also enjoy the change into spring and agree with everyone else about seeing the colors of the flowers and trees 'spring' back to life :heehee

Julie - Thanks and yep, nothing amounted from the bomb scare :clap

Val - I'm doing the baby blanket in caron ss baby blue (not sure the exact name of the color) :think Glad to hear you continue to feel better, now if you could just kick the congestion. I find that always lingers after my cold as well :(

Joanne - :yay You bypassed me, I only have 5 squares completed. However, I decided yesterday to give the KAL a go too so started on the first square last night and it's quite a time consuming square :think

Tab - Thanks for checking in and :yay for winning the hook :hug

Cindy - Glad to hear you're feeling a bit better today. Rest up and you'll be ready for work tomorrow :hug

Faile - :yay for getting the hang of the spinning, all your yarn will be consistent in no time :yes

Amy - I'm having my coffee with you :wink

Phyllis - :yay Congrats on winning the free class :hug

Judy - I'm with you, we'll have to explore the ville together :lol I had no clue about the birthday giveaway :(

Mary - Thanks for sharing your recipe for the soup...it sounds wonderful :drool

Good morning! The sun is shining which always makes me happy. :) It's supposed to rain all weekend though. :( Rosie and I are going to an antique show tomorrow. Not sure what else, but that much for sure.

I'm staying on board. :hook I like the challenge of the mystery- I'll deal with the sewing after---plus Phyllis offered for me to bring them to craft club and she'll help me!!!:clap

Yay for Phyllis! :cheer :cheer :cheer

Julie, I am thinking of making slippers for everyone for Christmas next year. I'm knitting them because I find knit ones to be more comfortable than crocheted ones. Not only are they not a pair, I sued two different patterns to make the slippers. The second pattern went quite a bit faster than the first one.

I did not feel well enough yesterday to enjoy shopping, so I only bought some fabric and we went out for lunch.

I spent nearly all day today huddled under an afghan by the fire. I read a little, and napped a little. I did manage to make dinner and do laundry in between naps. I now feel quite a bit better, but my nose is red and sore and I look like a clown.

:hug :hug :hug Hope this is short lived.

I'm progressing quite nicely with the spinning and still having a blast. I should take a picture soon to show how fat my spindle is getting with all that nice new lovely yarn wrapped around it. There's still some unevenness to the thickness of the yarn, but it's less than when I first started as I figure out the finer points of drafting.

I actually was a member of a local Orchid club awhile back and had a lot of fun learning about them. Unfortunately I was even better at killing them. Sigh. I do currently have a Neofinetia Fulcata which I was able to rebloom sucessfully and I'm looking forward to getting it to bloom again. I've got another Neofinetia that I'm hoping to get to bloom before long. They're wonderful dainty little orchids.

Sounds like you are doing great with the spinning. John has several orchids that bloom a couple of times a year. I think the right sun is crucial. At least that seems to be the case with ours.

Julie--Hi there!! My back is still in shock form all that work.. HAHA. It will probably take a few days to work out all the kinks.

Take care. Glad the floor work is done and lovely.

Hi folks

Let's ask :

FLOWERS! SUNSHINE! At least when I lived in Minnesota it felt like we had six months with very little if any sun, so spring meant sunshine. I love all the flowers and flowering bushes and trees of spring. The colors and scents make me feel so happy. Not only do we have daffodils in bloom now but bushes with lavender flowers are also in bloom. It's great!

Jude

I agree, I like seeing those first little green stems sticking up out of the ground. We have a few spring flowers that still bloom in our yard ( I REALLY need to plant more bulbs.the old ones are all pretty much worn out )

Whats your favorite spring flower ? I like the pink tulips. or the lilac ones ..

My favorite spring flowers are crocuses, closely followed by daffodils and tulips and hyasinths.

Jude

Yes, I think a nonfiction might spice things up a birt in your group. Maybe a memoir ?

Have you read The Liar's Club by Mary Karr ? I LOVED that book . It would give lots of fodder for a reading group .

I tend to enjoy nonfiction much more than fiction for some reason .

I wrote that title down - my turn to pick doesn't come up for a while, but I'll check it out for myself. Thanks!

Jude

I love the scent of hyacinths. The deep purple ones look so pretty:c9

Judy - I hope you're not catching anything.

Me...nah...just the usual old age complaints:lol

Hi again. :) Errands are finished and I really should do some cleaning...probably can wait another day or two, though. :lol

Valerie ~ Do you have a chauffeur's hat? :drive:wink Way to go on already making the week's squares!

Marisa ~ Did you finish the fingerless gloves? I saw someone wearing some today that were crocheted and they were so pretty. Do you have a favorite pattern?

Linda ~ Going to an antique show with Rosie sounds great! :yes

Our Carolina Jessamine is blooming and smells sooo good. :)

Hi guys

Quick jump in. My short trip to the store turned into a long trip . There's a house here in town which I lived in from birth til age 4 . I can't remember anything at all about it, and I have always tried to ,wondering what it looked like inside .I always told myself if it ever comes up for sale I am going to go look at it just to see if I can remember it .

So, the lady who lived there died,and her family is selling it. They were there today,so they let me look through it . A few things triggered my memory about it. It was really neat to see it after 50 years. I remembered my bedroom. As soon as I walked in, I knew it was my room. I remembered my bedspread and my toy pet doggie on my bed. I remembered some built in shelves in the living room ,and wondered where they were -- they were covered nby a fireplace that is in the living room now .

So cool to go back in time for a short visit and refresh my memory . The lady who bought it ,bought it from my parents 50 years ago ,so it was really neat to come full circle in a way.

Mary

I got all the stuff for the soup and will be getting it going here in a bit .

I cant remember what else to say right now. Just got home with stuff needing put away ,so will check in later .

Hi again. :) Errands are finished and I really should do some cleaning...probably can wait another day or two, though. :lol

Marisa ~ Did you finish the fingerless gloves? I saw someone wearing some today that were crocheted and they were so pretty. Do you have a favorite pattern?

Not yet, I need to have my sister try on what I've done so far since they're a bit smaller than the last pair and I didn't see her at all yesterday. I'm using this pattern http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/crochet-lace-fingerless-mitts

It's the same as the other pair I made, we couldn't find steelers colors before but I was able to at the festival last week :yes I thought about doing a different pattern, but I knew I'd have enough yarn with this one and no so sure about the other I was looking at. I couldn't bring myself to buy 2 skeins :no

Hi, ladies - just checking in again.

Jules, good luck with that soup recipe! I love spicy stuff, but DH doesn't.

I had a busy day - and when I had downtime I've been reading book 1 of the Virgin River stories by Robyn Carr. Kindle had a great sale on the trilogy. One dollar.:D

She has a wonderful writing style and I'm totally into the characters she portrays.

It isn't completley G rated, in case anyone is curious;)

Have a good night everyone - and Cindy: enjoy the snow from inside your cozy house!

Cindy

No offense but keep the snow up there. We dont want anymore here .Ours is melted,so it's nice to see grass.

Jude & Mary

I made the soup, Sam said it was very good. I'm with your husband Jude. I dont do spicey foods of any kind. I can live just fine on a bland diet .

I thought the soup was gonna burn my nosehairs out,just smelling it cooking,but Sam lapped it up like he hadn't eaten in weeks.

So 5 Stars on the recipe Mary .

NOTE TO KINDLE OWNERS :

Have any of you gone to the video section and watched the Downton Abbey series ? WOW is it good !

It's been on the PBS channel too,but I haven't seen them on there. There are 2 seasons of it so far .

The scenery is absolutely stunning,and it has the best actors, costumes,and tells all types of stories,funny and sad and nice and horrible,all rolled into one.

So if any of you enjoy the English Manor House type books or shows, watch this !

Archived