Family Circle Easy Crochet Fall 2005

NexStitch

I wasn't sure if you were all aware that this new mag is coming out. It's supposed to be out on the 23rd. I know I've mentioned it on the mailing list I have. But I was pleasantly surprised when (coincidentally) I was offered a wholesale deal from an online yarn store and when I went to the site, I got to see what the mag looks like. I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't hokey looking (IMO). I'm not enthused about all the designs shown so far, but I do really like the one called, "Pullover" on this page:

http://www.dreamweaveryarns.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=95&products_id=723

I was told you can pick the mag up at Barnes and Nobles. I'll make sure to have a scan of my product review in the newsletter soon after. But if anyone beats me to getting it, let me know! I'm excited to see what they wrote!!!

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone left a message on my blog saying that they saw me in FC Easy Crochet, and I thought I was going to flip out. It's not supposed to be out for a few days! And now I'm rushing out the door to go see if I can find a copy. If I do, I'll let you all know. I expect it to be a good first issue.

I picked it up yesterday at the LYS and I was fairly impressed. As usual, there were some things I really didn't like, but this time there were more things that I did like than I didn't.

I love the "edgings" poncho. I'll probably be making that for one of my sisters in law for the holidays ... if I don't just decide to keep it for myself ... :)

And I'd been looking for a men's felted slipper pattern and there's one included, so even just for that, I'm pleased.

I really like this one, while I was only "eh" about the previous one.

(Plus, there was an ad for the next knit.1 in it and it's a men's issue - I hope there's some crochet in there, too, because men's patterns are hard to come by!)

Jessica,

Which did you pick up? Interweave or the FC? I'm trying to track down where to get the FC cause someone posted on my blog and I got the impression that it was out already, 5 days early.

Jessica,

Which did you pick up? Interweave or the FC? I'm trying to track down where to get the FC cause someone posted on my blog and I got the impression that it was out already, 5 days early.

FC. I very carefully didn't mention to the shop owner that it was out early. :) But I also saw it at Hobby Lobby today. My LYS speculates that Interweave will be sent out in about three weeks.

But I saw your review! Let me find it... Here:

WHAT'S NEXT

Check out Amie Hirtes's NexStitch (nexstitch.com) for chic shawls, ponchos, scarves, handbags and more. Using Hirtes's dowloadable patterns and step-by-step color photographs, even newbies will be decked out in no time flat. Hirtes's Web site also includes several easy-to-follow video tutorial covering the basics of Tunisian crochet.

Any typos are more likely mine than the magazine's. :)

Publishers and magazine distributors often don't wait until the newsstand release date to ship. It's up to the retailer to wait or put the issue out early.

Since my work carries IK I'm *really hoping* that we'll get it early!! Although, with my discount I can't say I'd mind even if it came late, LOL.

WHAT'S NEXT

Check out Amie Hirtes's NexStitch (nexstitch.com) for chic shawls, ponchos, scarves, handbags and more. Using Hirtes's dowloadable patterns and step-by-step color photographs, even newbies will be decked out in no time flat. Hirtes's Web site also includes several easy-to-follow video tutorial covering the basics of Tunisian crochet.

Any typos are more likely mine than the magazine's. :)

Super, thanks! Hey, did they happen to use any pictures from my site?

I'm going to have to hunt that mag down. However, I find that all the LYS's near me cater to knitters only. A typical scenario would be me walking in and picking up some yarn and the store owner saying, "What do you plan to knit with that?" Err! So, I guess I predict having a harder time finding it.

Super, thanks! Hey, did they happen to use any pictures from my site?

Yep. The pink shawl. It's a small pic, but it looks great!

I'm going to have to hunt that mag down. However, I find that all the LYS's near me cater to knitters only. A typical scenario would be me walking in and picking up some yarn and the store owner saying, "What do you plan to knit with that?" Err! So, I guess I predict having a harder time finding it.

PM me if you want and I'll be happy to pick one up for you. I can always use another excuse to go to the LYS.

We actually have two LYS here in town. One is fairly clique-ish and very knitter-specific (heck, it's called Knitter's Mercantile). Not terribly friendly or helpful either, I've found. However, they have one type of wool that I really like that I can't find anywhere else, so I stop in occassionally.

The other shop (called ... The Yarn Shop :) ), though, is very open and accomodating. One of the staff members is an avid crocheter so I suppose that helps a lot! :) She was just as excited about FC as me, and made sure I knew about Interweave. I've never felt like a second class customer there because I crochet. Plus, they have the best "orphan skein" bin I've ever seen - I just picked up two orphan skeins of Lamb's Pride for half price! :)

I was there again yesterday afternoon, looking for a yarn I liked to make the poncho on page 54 of FC, but I didn't find anything. I ended up going to elann.com and getting seven different colors of the Peruvian Collection Highland Wool. It cost more than I wanted to spend, but I should have plenty of leftovers that I can use to make the cute little felted flowers in the felted section. :)

What has anyone else decided to make?

Because Family Circle is so widely distributed I have seen the new issue of Family Circle Easy Crochet at newstands and at many other places where magazines are sold. It may not be necessary to go to a Michael's or the like for this one.

I liked this issue overall but was disappointed that only Bernat yarns were used in the patterns. The Interweave Press issue had patterns that incorporated many different brands of yarn and, as a result, the samples were more appealing. I did notice that the internet appeared to dominate their marketing research results; they seemed to be behind rather than ahead of the trends. I did not learn anything new about styles, suppliers or resources.

EugeneClarence

Yep. The pink shawl. It's a small pic, but it looks great!

PM me if you want and I'll be happy to pick one up for you. I can always use another excuse to go to the LYS.

We actually have two LYS here in town. One is fairly clique-ish and very knitter-specific (heck, it's called Knitter's Mercantile). Not terribly friendly or helpful either, I've found. However, they have one type of wool that I really like that I can't find anywhere else, so I stop in occassionally.

The other shop (called ... The Yarn Shop :) ), though, is very open and accomodating. One of the staff members is an avid crocheter so I suppose that helps a lot! :) She was just as excited about FC as me, and made sure I knew about Interweave. I've never felt like a second class customer there because I crochet. Plus, they have the best "orphan skein" bin I've ever seen - I just picked up two orphan skeins of Lamb's Pride for half price! :)

I was there again yesterday afternoon, looking for a yarn I liked to make the poncho on page 54 of FC, but I didn't find anything. I ended up going to elann.com and getting seven different colors of the Peruvian Collection Highland Wool. It cost more than I wanted to spend, but I should have plenty of leftovers that I can use to make the cute little felted flowers in the felted section. :)

What has anyone else decided to make?

You are SO SWEET! Thank you! I'm going to try to find it today. Actually, I just showered and I'm heading to AC Moore. I want to look at some other things there. If they don't have it, I'm going to try Michaels, which is on the return trip home.

Elann's is great. The selection is nice on that site.

Wish me luck in my hunting!

I picked up a copy yesterday at Michael's and think it's great!! I looked at Border's and Barnes & Nobles but neither had it.

I got the last one at michaels yesterday :cheer I just wish I could knit becuase I love the poncho & top that have the knitted collar.I like alot fo projects in the mag i highly reccomend it.

Also saw they had a little write up about Cville too & yep Nexstitch :)

I liked this issue overall but was disappointed that only Bernat yarns were used in the patterns.

They used Paton's and Lily, in addition to Bernat. I liked that they stuck to fairly easily available yarns. I mean, I rarely make something in the recommended yarn, but I like that most of those yarns can pretty easily be found by everyone.

I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I liked this mag. :)

Jessica,

I just picked it up at ACMoore and I was pleasantly surprised too! Not because I was featured in it, but because I just really liked the patterns and all the other fun stuff they showed at the beginning for crocheters, you know "gear" stuff.

I plan on emailing them to let them know "Bravo! You did a great job" because that kind of feedback will give them a sense that they hit the target market. If anyone else is interested in doing the same, the email listed in the mag is:

webmaster@sohopublishingco.com

How much knitting is required in most of the patterns in the FC? I haven't seen on at a newsstand near me yet (and I haven't made it to a craft store to looK), but I'll save myself the time searching if most of the patterns have knitted components. Despite a couple of attempts to learn, I'm still knitting-challenged.

Check out this site for learning to knit videos:

http://www.knittinghelp.com/

As for the extent of knitting, there are about 4 patterns in there that are both knit and crochet. Some have more knit than others. Beyond that, there are a BUNCH of just crochet patterns, o don't be frightened away. It's a great mag. I just wrote them to tell them so.

Finally, a hip and youngish crochet magazine!

Archived