Simple, Easy and Fun Potholder

I Create

I know many of you have seen this pattern but it is a first time for me to do it. I didn't have a pattern but a lady who was making one at a Labor Day church cookout last week showed me how to do it, so I made this one. I could not quite see how it was going to come together as I was making it till the last few rows. It's nice and thick since it is double and it makes all in one piece so the only sewing together is the diagonal middle when it is all done. Fun!

The way she showed me to do this pot holder was to ch 36 (I used cotton yarn on a spindle and a G hook), then sc in each ch, and instead of crocheting one row on top of another you don't turn at the end of the row, you go to the bottom of the starting chain and crochet in each one.....you are working in rounds and you don't inc or dec, so that the piece begins to curl up as you work. In the end, you will know when you have enough rows when you see it come together and form a square or rectangle. Mine was more of a rectangle. Then you sew the piece together. I added a loop while the yarn was still attached. The ends of the yarn are so easy to hide because you just pull them trough to the inside of the holder.

post-23943-135897573842_thumb.jpg

post-23943-135897573845_thumb.jpg

I love the look of it. Is it really thick enough so you don't get burned through? I would really like to try a pot holder pattern that is really thick. I am currently using silicone pot holders and I hate them because they are too stiff but the cloth ones I've bought from the store don't do the job well enough....I'm always burning my fingers!:think

I love making these! And I love that color! These are great, thick potholders that make wonderful gifts, are fast and easy to do and good for a pick up project anytime.

Great job. Now that you have started on these it's hard to stop. They will disappear if you don't keep your eye on them. I have made so many I have lost track how many I have made. The disappear pretty quick between family and friends. You can make them any size and I have been making them on the large size and everyone really loves them.

I'm not sure what the brand of the yarn is, but it is cotton 4-ply yarn on a large spindle (cone). Walmart offers some colors in it and you can get it other places too. I don't know what the color was called.

what color?brand of yarn is that? its beautiful!

It looks like it is Peaches and Cream in the color called Autumn Leaves. I love the way it turned out.

I have a couple of these potholders someone made me and they are great.

Beautiful potholders.:hook

I love these potholders! I use the pattern from http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/kitchen-potholders.html

I made about 4 of them and my adult DD's liked them so much that they now have a home with them. Guess I should make myself one!:lol

Thanks for this link. I emailed it to my daughter who loves to crochet also but just simple things yet.

I love the color you used - also love that pattern. I usually make a couple to add to bridal shower gifts. They're easy enough to make a couple in an evening or two, also a great portable project.

Yes, I just love this potholder pattern. I have made several of these in different varigated colors. It is an easy pattern to work and so portable. In recent weeks to keep from falling asleep in church I sit and crochet these potholders. Since my husband and I sit in the last pew (We are good Baptist as we sit in the last pew.) I don't feel my crocheting will distract anyone. It really works. I can keep my hands busy and therefore I don't fall asleep. Thanks for sharing yours. I love the colors you chose. It's fascinating how the colors work up.

Archived