New Bernat Crochetalong - did you see this?

WVUAlesha

What a busy day here! I didn't get home till almost 6:30- had to make dinner, and watching the Yankees

everyone who has posted squares- they look good!!!! :yay

Is everyone aware that Bernat posted a corrected pattern at around 9:40 AM this morning? I was reading through some posts on their blog- and they had a few errors. Glad I did that cause I had printed the pattern at 6AM this morning!!

Off to try and figure this one out. I'm probably NOT going to finish all 16 this week- but if I do it will be a bonus! I have to work LOTS of hours in the next week including the weekend!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Nicole (wow that was hard to type... without the "H" that is ;) )

So I just finished square 1 of clue 5, and if you look at it by itself, it looks really good, but when I held it up to one of my other squares (to make sure it "fits") ... let's just say it's not exactly "square"... or the correct size all around...

:sigh:

well, I'm hungry so, I'm gonna find some food then see if I have a bigger hook or if I can relax enough to loosen my tension a bit... I don't know... DH asked if I have to rip the whole thing out... I think not, it may be one of my dad's dishcloths lmbo :D

Nichole - The nature of a mitered "square" means that it's going to pull in. The two opposite edges aren't going to be the exact same length. It should be close though and when all of the squares get sewed together, you won't be able to tell at all.

Cindy - You are too funny!! :lol

You're probably right, I think I'll just continue working at it and not stress, crochet is supposed to be relaxing after all, it's close enough that I can stretch and fudge it, no big deal... so one down, 15 more to go :hook

Hi All-

Just now getting around to posting my squares from clue #4. I have one more square with ends to weave in and then on to clue #5.

Sixteen (32 really :eek ) this week means I now have a second job, and it's crochet.

BernatCAL42.jpg

BernatCAL41.jpg

Shelley - Your squares look fabulous! :clap

I finished three squares for clue #5 tonight. Hopefully I can get them all done this weekend. I do have other projects that I need to finish, too. :lol I'm addicted to this CAL.

Here we go again! I have made 2 of the Clue #5 squares...the first one isn't even close to "square" - the second one is more square because I did it backwards, but it only came out to 7 1/2 inches. :think Hopefully "the third times the charm"!!!

[ATTACH]29121[/ATTACH]

When you say backwards do you mean working from small to large instead of large to small? I have never made a mitered square before and I made one each way, and like the small to large better, but mine still came out to 7 1/2 inches, I had to add extra rows to get to 8. There is about 1/2 inch difference from the start end to the finished end, is that normal? :think How did your third square turn out, I hope it was the "charm" :yes

Hi All-

Just now getting around to posting my squares from clue #4. I have one more square with ends to weave in and then on to clue #5.

Sixteen (32 really :eek ) this week means I now have a second job, and it's crochet.

:lol I have 32 to make too :eek, at least your caught up now with clue 4. I have two more clue 4 to make for the second one, and the 8 from clue 3 for the second one. Plus I have to make four from clue 4 for my mom, I'm trying to convince her she can do clue 5, or else I will have 48 :faintto make, I won't be able to guess when I'd finish all that :rofl

I was so tired last night that I opted not to try and attempt this square and go to bed. Best decision I made because I feel rested, ready to tackle the day at work and tonight I'll do the first one!

I was thinking that if it doesn't work out, then I may try the increase method of doing a mitred square that Bernat actually has in their patterns for a mitred square afghanhttp://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3686

To me it makes more sense to do it this way, rather than the way they posted for Clue #5. :think

But, I'll try it the Clue#5 way first.

Off to get ready for work- Have a great day everyone!!!

I was so tired last night that I opted not to try and attempt this square and go to bed. Best decision I made because I feel rested, ready to tackle the day at work and tonight I'll do the first one!

I was thinking that if it doesn't work out, then I may try the increase method of doing a mitered square that Bernat actually has in their patterns for a mitered square afghanhttp://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3686

To me it makes more sense to do it this way, rather than the way they posted for Clue #5. :think

You know, I might try that one, too. It would make a lot more sense to use that one because it would actually be square (theoretically).

I was thinking that if it doesn't work out, then I may try the increase method of doing a mitred square that Bernat actually has in their patterns for a mitred square afghanhttp://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=3686

Yup, that's the one I tried second. My first one is weird, it had holes from going into the 3sctog, the link above came out much neater for me because you sc 3 times into one stitch. I'll try to post pictures of my two later.

Good morning ladies :coffee

It looks like you've all been hard at work already this week :yes I didn't start yesterday as anticipated. My friend and I usually crochet at the 76er basketball games. Last night's was still preseason, but we were given courtside seats last night :clap:yay and didn't want to pull it out :rofl

I will start today for sure though and will try the first the way it's writting, but think I will end up doing it by increasing :think We'll see.

Everyone's pics look great!!!!

I don't have much time right now....

Jenny - I think you're on to something by thinking the corners. If we use 4 squares for each corner, that would equal the 16 and they may all be situated to make one large sqaure pattern in each corner :think

Joanne - thanks for the heads up on the updated pattern, I'm going to print it now, but I thought I saw a couple typos when reading it over yesterday.

but we were given courtside seats last night :clap:yay and didn't want to pull it out :rofl

Jenny - I think you're on to something by thinking the corners. If we use 4 squares for each corner, that would equal the 16 and they may all be situated to make one large sqaure pattern in each corner :think

bet you would've made it onto the jumbo-tron!! there's somethin you don't see at every game!! right? :lol

I hadn't thought of putting a square in each corner--although that makes sense. I envisioned a square within a square type placement so they might perhaps also look like arrows leading away from the center in the four directions of the corners.

ooh! the plot thickens!! :scrachin

Yup, that's the one I tried second. My first one is weird, it had holes from going into the 3sctog, the link above came out much neater for me because you sc 3 times into one stitch. I'll try to post pictures of my two later.

So call me dumb but....I just don't get it! :think How would you make it and follow the colors of Clue No. 5 doing it this way? I would really like to try this since I'm not crazy about how my squares are turning out but can someone spell this out for me?

So call me dumb but....I just don't get it! :think How would you make it and follow the colors of Clue No. 5 doing it this way? I would really like to try this since I'm not crazy about how my squares are turning out but can someone spell this out for me?

You're not dumb! Sometimes it just doesn't make sense until it's written a different way. You would just work the colors backwards.

So,

Row 1 - 4: Contrast E

Row 5 - 6: Contrast A

Row 7 - 10: Contrast E

Row 11 - 12: Contrast C

Row 13 - 18: Contrast E

Row 19 - 20: Contrast C

Row 21 - 22: Contrast A

I didn't get the idea of doing it in the opposite direction at first either. Since I had already done a couple of squares the "right" way, I just wrote down how many rows of each color I needed and then worked them backwards. Edited to add: I see Nicole made it a lot easier than my explanation!:D

Joanne posted a link here to a pattern working the square opposite to the way the clue 5 pattern is written, same result, just working it the opposite way.

I've tried it both ways, and I find the "backwards" way to be a little less awkward, but my squares look about the same each way, sort of wonky along two sides. I hope that when they get sewed into an afghan they will look square and not the rather odd shape they are now.

I have 4 of the clue 5 squares done, even wove in the ends. I was thinking of leaving the ends until the squares were all finished.

And I have to confess, that the striped square that I thought was so ugly last week is starting to grow on me!

I didn't get the idea of doing it in the opposite direction at first either. Since I had already done a couple of squares the "right" way, I just wrote down how many rows of each color I needed and then worked them backwards. Edited to add: I see Nicole made it a lot easier than my explanation!:D

Joanne posted a link here to a pattern working the square opposite to the way the clue 5 pattern is written, same result, just working it the opposite way.

I've tried it both ways, and I find the "backwards" way to be a little less awkward, but my squares look about the same each way, sort of wonky along two sides. I hope that when they get sewed into an afghan they will look square and not the rather odd shape they are now.

I have 4 of the clue 5 squares done, even wove in the ends. I was thinking of leaving the ends until the squares were all finished.

And I have to confess, that the striped square that I thought was so ugly last week is starting to grow on me!

Welcome to the dark side! Mwahahahaha!!! :devil

When you say backwards do you mean working from small to large instead of large to small? I have never made a mitered square before and I made one each way, and like the small to large better, but mine still came out to 7 1/2 inches, I had to add extra rows to get to 8. There is about 1/2 inch difference from the start end to the finished end, is that normal? :think How did your third square turn out, I hope it was the "charm" :yes

I ended up doing my third square "backwards" (started with ch2, 3sc in 2nd ch, ch1, turn, sc in 1, 3sc in next, sc in 1, etc...) with a K hook and it came out the right size and a lot more square. Also, I did add 2 "rows" at the beginning...meaning I have 6 rows in the beginning square (hope that makes sense). :hook I have 6 squares done now (and I did rip out the first one and remake it :lol)...10 more to go!

I made one square of clue 5 as written in the pattern, and then one square from small to large, and definitely prefer the second method. The square is more square and it has a much neater appearance. I did have to add an extra row on the outside to make it 8 inches. Thanks Braxxi for suggesting this method.

I am really behind, since I have my granddaughter for the past two weeks, I don't get time to crochet much as she is homeschooled and that takes all my time in the daytime and hockey takes all my time at night, I need to find an extra day somewhere before next Wed.:eek

Archived