What's your "crochet" horror story!

Hi,

Was commenting on chichiwawa's comment about how she struggled to make a beautiful afghan for a gift, only to see it "misused" and her hurt feelings. I related a story of similar circumstances, see below.

Anyway, thought it might be fun to start a thread on some of the gifts maybe we have given with love, only to find out how they are being or have been violated,and misused! We should all remember,these things happen to us all, im sure at one point or another in our "Crochetcareer", so the telling of the story may be therapy for us all! So lets' have some fun,and relate some of our stories. ONe and I do emphasize ONE, of mine is below. Please comment,and tell us your stories!

Hi, my two cents worth!

I'm with the hurt feelings! Something similar happened to me once as well so i can and do sympathize with you. I had made a sister in law a beautiful afghan in her favorite hues of green, one of the very first full sized ones I had tackled up to that point.I was ever so proud of it! She too, was thrilled, or so i thought, but when I visited just a month or two later, while walking to the back door to knock, what did i catch a glimpse of? The afghan! NO, couldn't be! Left outside? For the entire winter? And stuffed ito a basement window well! Moreover, it was Stuck to the ice as spring was just starting the thaw! I probably did gasp audibly, and felt the blood rush from my cheeks, leaving a pale white pasty look of horror plastered on my face! Hoping against hope to compose myself before she answered the door, i stole another look!

From what I could see, it was in tatters, and stained to almost the point of NOT recognizing it at all! I too felt a sense of loss, and betrayal, and blatant disregard and un-appreciation for all that work. I vowed then and there, she would never be a recipient of anything hand crafted with love again, she would get a token gift off the shelves of then Woolworths!

Grrrr. Moral of the story is. I got over it, and by the way, for the flip side, ha ha. the same year, I had made one for my mother in law as well for Christmas which to the day she died, which was only a couple of years ago, she displayed proudly thrown over the back of her antique sofa, in the "sitting room" that strangely enough, no one was ever allowed to sit in as this is where she kept her most treasured and loved possessions!!

So, go figure, it all evens out, and works out in the end, and if it hasn't worked out yet, it ain't the end!!! Move on, make mental notes, accept, forgive, learn from the experience! I imagine most if not all avid crocheters that have regularly gifted freinds and family with their creations, have a like story to tell as well! But we shall overcome, and "Stitch On " fellows hookers, in the name of our craft, and remember CROCHET RULES!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a little word of warning: Crochetville is publicly accessible. You don't have to be a registered member to see posts. Anybody on the internet can see what you post (except for the Off-Topic areas).

This means it's possible for friends and/or family members to somehow accidentally come across what you may say about them, especially if you have anybody in your life who goes out of their way to try to find what you may be doing or saying on the internet.

So please use caution with what you post. If what you post could cause conflict or drama in your personal life if somebody you know came across it, you might not want to post. At the very least, think about changing any personal details so the person involved might not recognize who you were talking about.

And of course, follow our standard guidelines about being nice to others, even if those others aren't members here. :)

I made an afghan several years ago for our then neighbors he wanted it for his wife nothing fancy just a triple crochet through the whole thing. I had the blanket done and it was given to her everything was fine then a year or so later we had an argument with them and I came home from work to find it stuffed under their car collecting the oil that was leaking from their car.

For my wedding a friend made an incredible afghan for me, 3 panels of fisherman knit design and Aran yarn, two or three thicknesses. It must have weighed thirty pounds. I kept it put away because I had a cat then who ate yarn, socks, dollar bills, and genuine leather straps of purses which had only been used once. When my mother-in-law was visiting she had a bad cold, and that was the warmest thing I could cover her with. When she was done with it I folded it and put it on the very top shelf until I had time to put it back in its zipped bag in the basement closet with the door closed. You guessed it--he pulled it down and ate a huge part of it, and did it in a way that it couldn't be repaired. I swore my whole family to secrecy.

For my wedding a friend made an incredible afghan for me, 3 panels of fisherman knit design and Aran yarn, two or three thicknesses. It must have weighed thirty pounds. I kept it put away because I had a cat then who ate yarn, socks, dollar bills, and genuine leather straps of purses which had only been used once. When my mother-in-law was visiting she had a bad cold, and that was the warmest thing I could cover her with. When she was done with it I folded it and put it on the very top shelf until I had time to put it back in its zipped bag in the basement closet with the door closed. You guessed it--he pulled it down and ate a huge part of it, and did it in a way that it couldn't be repaired. I swore my whole family to secrecy.

:eek:eek:eek

Just a little word of warning: Crochetville is publicly accessible. You don't have to be a registered member to see posts. Anybody on the internet can see what you post (except for the Off-Topic areas).

This means it's possible for friends and/or family members to somehow accidentally come across what you may say about them, especially if you have anybody in your life who goes out of their way to try to find what you may be doing or saying on the internet.

So please use caution with what you post. If what you post could cause conflict or drama in your personal life if somebody you know came across it, you might not want to post. At the very least, think about changing any personal details so the person involved might not recognize who you were talking about.

And of course, follow our standard guidelines about being nice to others, even if those others aren't members here. :)

good advice, however in my case, not necessary, as both have passed on.thanks though.

I made an afghan several years ago for our then neighbors he wanted it for his wife nothing fancy just a triple crochet through the whole thing. I had the blanket done and it was given to her everything was fine then a year or so later we had an argument with them and I came home from work to find it stuffed under their car collecting the oil that was leaking from their car.

now that seems downright petty, lol oh well, consider the source I guess,

the names having been changed to protect the guilty? joking, really.....thats sad though. my sympathies.

2 stories (short & sweet), my dad gave me back several afghans I made him through the years. He said he didn't have a need for them. So, I donated them to a good cause. The second was when my son was 5 years old. My husband was "watching" him while I was grocery shopping. I came home and the little guy had cut all the pineapples out of my tablecloth that took 2 YEARS to make. I couldn't talk or breathe, so I went to 4 movies in a row. It's been 16 years and I haven't crocheted with thread since.

I have crocheted Sock Monkeys and found them face down with no cloths on them in the toy boxes. Of course they had to be shipped up, because they left them here. (Should of been my first clues)

I've seen ponchos I made put on and while a DVD was being made to show us, they had hands under the ponchos and stretching them thru the pattern. One I was told, was put in a drawer, never to see the light of day again, wasn't even put on to get a picture. I had made three this year.

If you think the stories I told in the other thread were funny, how about the afghan being used to cover the John Deere, so it doesn't get dusty or dirty?:D

when my son was 5 years old. My husband was "watching" him while I was grocery shopping. I came home and the little guy had cut all the pineapples out of my tablecloth that took 2 YEARS to make. I couldn't talk or breathe, so I went to 4 movies in a row. It's been 16 years and I haven't crocheted with thread since.

Oh no, now that is truly sad! Did your son later realize what he had done?

yeah wow o

to all the stories...

over the years I have made some family some items i have have seen stuffed in boxes,never out,or worn,but I see these people wear store bought crocheted items..Go figure ,right...One of them wants me to make a sweater...HAHAHAHAHA ha

Gosh it is not even just crocheted items,it is hand made things they asked for..What is wrong with these people any way...hee hee

About 8 yrs ago, I made some ripple doilies in yarn and gave 2 of them to our (at the time) dil. Well, about a month later, I see her middle son walking across the street twirling the doilies around in his hands. He was headed for the trash cans!!! I called out to him and asked him to come over. I asked him what he was doing with those, and he said that his mom didnt want them and told him to go throw those away.

Never again did she receive anything like that from me. She is not in the family anymore either.. lol

I never make crochet items for people unless I'm 100% certain they will like them. I feel like I put too much of myself into each item. Recently I made a very pretty rr baby ghan for a nephew's new baby. My nephew never sent me an address of where to send it to. After 2 months I gave it to my neighbor's new grandson and the parents really loved it and sent me a very sweet thank you note that the grandparents signed too.

My DH leases his office. The man he leases it from is in the office one day a week. He and his wife had twin girls this summer.

First I get: "Harry says you can come to Jenny's baby shower if you want."

(no invitation other than this and I have never met Jenny so I decide not to go)

I made TWO granny square baby blamkets in pinks and white (because I looked at the online registry and it was all girly princess themed) and I made them in under three weeks.

I make sure they are wrapped and ready for my DH to take to the office on the one day of the week that this guy is there.

The next week DH tells me over dinner: "Oh yeah, Harry said Jen said thanks for the blankets"

The woman couldn't write a note? I guess Ishould not be surprised since the "invitation" was given the way it was.

I thought it was rude!

I made two cabled scarves (one black and one beige) as door prizes for my daughter's dance school Christmas party. They were the last two items that were picked. Never again!

If you think the stories I told in the other thread were funny, how about the afghan being used to cover the John Deere, so it doesn't get dusty or dirty?:D

Now covering a John Deere might actually be an honor in some families (though in ours it would be an IH):lol

My story is more funny than horror, especially when you consider my sister crochets too. One year I made everyone rugs for Christmas. Apparently, my sister thought it was a shawl - it was the half oval shape - and she let her 3 year old granddaughter use it as a cape. I have to admit, for a shawl it was pretty ugly!

I never make crochet items for people unless I'm 100% certain they will like them. I feel like I put too much of myself into each item. Recently I made a very pretty rr baby ghan for a nephew's new baby. My nephew never sent me an address of where to send it to. After 2 months I gave it to my neighbor's new grandson and the parents really loved it and sent me a very sweet thank you note that the grandparents signed too.

I made two cabled scarves (one black and one beige) as door prizes for my daughter's dance school Christmas party. They were the last two items that were picked. Never again!

I'm with you two. An afghan stuffed in a basement window well? An afghan collecting motor oil? That's just downright destructive. It makes you wonder sometimes just what planet people were raised on.

All I can say is "Oh how mean" people can be so vicious, that hurt me when I read it, I thought you were going to say they returned it to you.

Sorry you experienced that. :hug

Carol

all i can add to some of these tragic horror stories, is this, and someone said this already, just be sure whom you are giving your work to, will appreciate it, or go to the Walmart, and get them something off the shelf if you have any doubts, spare yourself the grief!

A lady I worked with was having a baby and wanted a christening outfit. I spent 2 months working with size 20 thread to make it. It turned out great. When I gave it to her I asked for a picture of her baby in it. She was so excited. I never got a picture. Years later I found out that she did not even use it. I do not know what happened to the dress. If she didn't use it I know lots of people who would have. I haven't seen or spoken to her since.

I have been reading these stories, and I know I would feel the same way if someone treated something I had put such care into poorly. But, we all need to remember what's important. As I make something for someone I think about and pray for that person. Whatever their needs. And too, perhaps we should feel sorry for them that they don't understand the value (beyond the dollar) of something created by hand. When you see something created by someone else - whether it is old or new - don't you feel a sense of pride even though it wasn't made by you? I'm glad I can have that feeling, and I think I would be less of a person if I couldn't. I'm not saying it's wrong to have hurt feelings, because I often do, just trying to put them in perspective.

Archived