What's your "crochet" horror story!

I love her to pieces and I know I will end up making her more stuff eventually. I talk big but I am weak and cave in to see someone happy :)

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think all in all, crocheters, and knitters are very giving generous people, at least that has been my experience, and people on the ville prove that everyday! I am careful now, as to whom i gift, however I still gift things, and donate a lot of things, and once donated, have no idea if they are used, or needed, or piling up in a back room somewhere, but I feel I have done my part by donating them, the rest is fate!

Oh my! after reading all these stories, I might rethink my idea of making christmas afghans for my family this Christmas!! :eek:laughroll

the only person I have given one of my afghans to is my mom, she put it away, she says she doesnt want it to get messed up. :think

Oh my! after reading all these stories, I might rethink my idea of making christmas afghans for my family this Christmas!! :eek:laughroll

the only person I have given one of my afghans to is my mom, she put it away, she says she doesnt want it to get messed up. :think

Blankets are abundant in my house. My dad brings at least one back every year from his fishing trip up north. But with two dogs I'm surprised they've held up. I'm making my mom an afghan this year for Christmas, and I know she will use it, but she's going to have to hide it from the "puppy" that still likes to chew things.

• 1 month later...

Well I do alot with thread, and had my needle in my spool. I had it sitting on the car set. I had to get out of the car, and when I sat back down, I sat on the needle, which by now had went thru the skin and was hanging there. I screamed, very painful.:angry

Well I do alot with thread, and had my needle in my spool. I had it sitting on the car set. I had to get out of the car, and when I sat back down, I sat on the needle, which by now had went thru the skin and was hanging there. I screamed, very painful.:angry

Been there, done that. I even bent the doily hook a little. It's been years, but I can still find the mark :(.

Ellie 13

I have been reading these stories, and I know I would feel the same way if someone treated something I had put such care into poorly. But, we all need to remember what's important. As I make something for someone I think about and pray for that person. Whatever their needs. And too, perhaps we should feel sorry for them that they don't understand the value (beyond the dollar) of something created by hand. When you see something created by someone else - whether it is old or new - don't you feel a sense of pride even though it wasn't made by you? I'm glad I can have that feeling, and I think I would be less of a person if I couldn't. I'm not saying it's wrong to have hurt feelings, because I often do, just trying to put them in perspective.

Gini,

I know exactly what you mean. Whenever I'm at Goodwill or any thrift store and I see a crocheted afghan, my heart breaks. It breaks for the person who took the time and love to make it. It also breaks for the person who didn't have any appreciation or understand the love that went in to making it. I have rescued many a crocheted afghan from the thrift store. Some I use in my own home, and some are used by my friends that truly understand the time and love it took for someone to make them.

Some of these make my heart break a little :(. I know I never truly appreciated afghans & such until I started making them myself a few years go.

On the up side, my 16 yo daughter still sleeps with her "manket"(blanket) that was gifted to her at the hospital when she was born. I don't know who made it, but it was a beautiful charitable gift that has been loved all these years :)

A miserable ending to the stockings I made last year. They have been thrown away because they went out and bought stockings since they just had a baby girl. I feel ridiculously used. I have spent the last year making all the Christmas presents for this year and now I just want to toss my tote box into the fire because I dont want to give anyone the stuff I made. The 3 yr old neighbor girl appreciates what I make more than grown adults do. She comes over to my house and sees stuff Im working on and loves it all. So far she has a blankie she loves, a bright orange scarf, a couple puppets, and a hat, she uses all of the stuff and loves it to pieces. It just baffles my mind how thoughtless some people can be.

I finally got my v-stitch king sized afghan done that I had been working on and new that the one sil loved it so I gifted it to her for her birthday. The only thing she said to me...its so heavy I wont be able to use it. WOW! I feel like crap now.

I still dont know what to do with all the stuff I made for Christmas presents. Im half tempted to keep it all and just get them .99 cent things from a bin at Ollies as a way for them to 'read between the lines' without actually flipping them off.....Beh and the 'family' wonders why I dont speak to any of them anymore.

I don't actually have any personal horror stories, but for my day job I work in a veterinary hospital. We accept donations of blankets and towels to use for our hospitalized patients. It always makes me sad to see crocheted ones come in, knowing that they were lovingly made and yet unappreciated. We get quite a few of those. But rest assured, those are the first ones we reach for when making up a cage, as they are the most comfy, so at least they're going to good use. ^_^

Archived