What was your very first project?  

227 members have voted

1. 1. What was your very first project?

• Afghan
    • Piece of Clothing
    • Amigurumi
    • Other Toy
    • Other

Mine was a baby blanket for my daughter. I was on bed rest when I was pregnant with her a lot so I taught myself how to crochet and worked on her blanket through the pregnancy.. my mom had always kept trying to teach me and I had wished I had learned before because I love it so much now. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the first thing I made was an afgan from a kit. I do know that I became pretty OCD with counting. I would count how many wash clothes I folded, how many slices for each tomato, etc. Drove me karazy!!!!

I am a bit better after 35+ years......well, some, anyway................

Sherry

I will never forget this. LOL.

Aunt Baudelia sat me down with yarn and a hook, and I sat at her feet, and it was supposed to just be rows and I think she meant to stop me when I got to a square because she said I was making a dishcloth.

Anyway, it turned into a really wide, somewhat short scarf.

The rows and everything were correct, mostly, but it wasn't intended to be a scarf and Aunt Baudelia looked down and busted up laughing.

• 1 month later...

My very first project was a skirt. My neighbor was making skirts and vests (this was in the 70s) for her daughters and I asked her to teach me to crochet. It came out well enough for me and my older sister to wear it to school a few times. I wonder whatever happened to it. My mom spirited away stuff all the time. She probably threw it in the trash grrrr.

I am the queen of unfinished projects. But about 12 years ago my first FINISHED project was a ripple afghan I made for my king size bed.

post-44625-135897691294_thumb.jpg

When you fold it in half it is so obvious that the rows don't match up. I didn't exactly understand how to make the same amount of stitches in each row. I didn't even know how to read a pattern yet. All I went by was over the phone instructions from my mother and that it was "easy".

I don't know if you can see it clearly or not, but the stitches are all stretched out now. There is even a section that is fraying on one end I need to repair.

But It is huge and I still love it and the colors I used. Actually my husband uses this blanket every night to cover up with. Not bad for a not perfect blanket if I do say so myself :)

• 7 months later...

The very first thing my grandmother had me crochet was a long long chain. She said that when she could hold one end in her house and my mom could hold the other end in ours then I was done with it. :-) It was yellow. The next one was a yellow hat for my baby doll. My third was a little coin purse/bag to put around my neck at school. :-) I was 11.

I made doll stuff from yarn and thread scraps given to me when I was a kid. One had to have a good imagination to see the dresses and hats that came out of those scraps :lol

• 3 weeks later...

My first project was a baby blanket & pillow set. post-60333-135897756869_thumb.jpg At the time I was not good at boarders, or how to stuff a pillow and that it should have been lined first.

I made doll stuff from yarn and thread scraps given to me when I was a kid. One had to have a good imagination to see the dresses and hats that came out of those scraps :lol

I would love to see what you created, hope you have some pictures to show us.

Mine was an appalling, misshapen Christmas Stocking, made out of red and white granny squares. I used some cheapo acrylic.

Yes, you guessed it...I still hang it up every Christmas! :rofl

I did not learn to work on square till I went to summer camp but I never learned how to connect them to resently. How did you connect them?

I was about 12 and the first project I ever did was a poncho! It turned out very nice!

What kind of poncho round or points? Did it have fringes?

• 3 weeks later...

The first thing I learned to crochet was a granny square. My mother showed me how to sew them together into a hat. My grandmother actually wore that hat for quite a few years. LOL

I believe mine was a purse. I wanted to make something I could USE. I remember crocheting and ripping out and doing it over and over and over again. The first major project I made for someone else was a set of decorative pot holders for the wall, I think? I know I made my family an afghan right about the same time too.

My first "real" project (other than swatches) was a baby blanket. I was at Michaels and found Lilly Sugar and Cream on clearence for $0.50/skein and couldn't resist. It was done in a blue/green/white twists and white. I followed the pattern for the granny squares off of a yarn label.

(Actually, although the entire blanket was supposed to be made of squares, I was getting frustrated with making the squares, so I stopped at 9, realizeing that I could join the squares together, then continue in the pattern around, alternating colors each row.)

I made it with our first Child in mind (even though I wasn't pregnant) but told people I was making it for a friend. :lol We became pregnant about 2 months later.

Unfortunatly, I didn't know about leaving long tails, so my ends are all about 1 inch long, and I was petrified to use it with our daughter. We are now expecting a little boy, and I brought out the blanket, even though I will probably never use it on him.

Oh yeah, here is a picture (I try to photograph all of my finished work...)

Hi I feel your pain. I created a baby blanket once that started with squares but lost interest in making the square and connected and continued around tell I was finished also. Sometimes putting your own finishing touch make the project that much special. Here is a pic of my finished projectpost-60333-135897761619_thumb.jpg

The baby blanket I made was pink, blue, green, yellow & white. My sister had never seen variegated yarn and asked how I got the stitches like that. I told her, I cut the yarn in 4 in prices and just kept crocheting them together.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine was a beanie. It didn't come out shaped well because at that time I couldn't understand patterns very well (or maybe at all), but I was still really proud of it. My first project that came out how I wanted it to, was a Vintage Vertical Stripe Crocheted Blanket.

<--My first project was the donut in my avatar. The second project was the cupcake right next to it. My husband thinks its hilarious that I learned to crochet by making a donut! It was part of the kit my Sister-in-law got me for Christmas this last year.

Archived