• Afghan
    • Piece of Clothing
    • Amigurumi
    • Other Toy
    • Other

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My first real project was an afghan. Well, 3 really. I made my grandma, parents and brother one for Christmas.

Quick question, what is the difference between amigurumi and other toys? I thought that was the name for crocheted toys.

The difference I think between amigurumi & other toys is what I believe is Amigurumi is animals made with crochet :think & toys are just toys. :D:chook

I hope that this makes sense and answers your question.

• 2 weeks later...

in the school i dont actualy know. but when i started again was my fist thing a potholder and slippers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
The difference I think between amigurumi & other toys is what I believe is Amigurumi is animals made with crochet :think & toys are just toys. :D:chook

I hope that this makes sense and answers your question.

Actually amigurumi is making toys in the round. You can make food, animals, etc. While many toys are made in the amigurumi format some are made using other techniques such as panels sewn together, etc.

My first project was a square as part of one of those learn to crochet books. I wish I'd started with a wash cloth. When I tried to learn to knit I made washcloths. Ugly or not they are effective at cleaning and I still use them.:lol:lol

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been crocheting so long, and I learned at such a young age, I honestly do not remember. It was probably a square that my mom probably ended up using as a wash cloth. But truly, no clue. The first project I remember making once I was older and really taking it up as a hobby on my own was a baby blanket... because I wanted to make a blanket but did not have the patience for a full sized afghan. 

• 4 weeks later...

I made little chains and all my attempts to turn got so messed up, I just tied it off and put paper wings on it as if I had intended to make a butterfly. My first real (and successful) attempt was to make a shirt for my toy frog. I carried him everywhere and didn't want him to be cold in the winter. The shirt was easy. The pants were not. I sewed those instead. I didn't have a pattern for either, I just held the yarn up to him as I made it and adjusted it.

The first thing I ever crocheted was made from 1970's acrylic in a bright hot pink.  My great Aunt Carol taught me how to finger crochet, and that was the yarn she had with her.  I spent an entire evening working hard on that ball of yarn, and when I was done, Aunt Carol took my looonnnggg chain home and sewed it into a basket.  So. Awesome.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived