• Afghan
    • Piece of Clothing
    • Amigurumi
    • Other Toy
    • Other

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Memere taught me how to make a granny square and I just kept going around and around until it was big enough for my Mother and Father's King Size Bed it was all the scraps and skeins I could find/afford at the age of 8!

Looking back I am sure it was god awful ugly but at the time I thought it was beautiful *no color scheme at all*

It's so long ago it's hard to remember but It was probably pillowcase edges and hotpads, and other things for church and school bazzars when we were in grammer school.

My very first project was a hexagon popcorn rug. I was only 12 at the time and a lady in our church group, taught me how to make one. It was for our church bazaar. I wish I could remember the pattern, because I would love to try making one of those again. I remember it was easy to make, but for the life of me, I can't remember how it was made.

My first completed project was an afghan made with RH Soft Navy & Vibrant Orange. My foundation row was tighter than the rest of it and the fringe helped disguise it a bit. I gifted it to my cousin. When I called to see if she liked it my aunt said she must because she's been wrapped up in it all day! Love that. And I know she still has it after all these years. :D

My first project was an afghan for my daughter on the way. We were in the process of buying a house, so the only way I could "nest" was to crochet up a storm. Took a class, and made afghans. Several, in fact.

:manyheart

My very first project was a little doily -- no pattern,just something my grandma had me do to learn a couple of basic stitches. I spent a week with her one summer and was proud of my lop-sided doily. I did not crochet again for several decades. Pretty much had to reteach myself even those basic steps but I always remembered Grandma taking the time to teach me.

My first project was a small purse done in the afghan stitch, it was done in pink and purple. It turned out great.

My first "real" project (other than swatches) was a baby blanket. I was at Michaels and found Lilly Sugar and Cream on clearence for $0.50/skein and couldn't resist. It was done in a blue/green/white twists and white. I followed the pattern for the granny squares off of a yarn label.

(Actually, although the entire blanket was supposed to be made of squares, I was getting frustrated with making the squares, so I stopped at 9, realizeing that I could join the squares together, then continue in the pattern around, alternating colors each row.)

I made it with our first Child in mind (even though I wasn't pregnant) but told people I was making it for a friend. :lol We became pregnant about 2 months later.

Unfortunatly, I didn't know about leaving long tails, so my ends are all about 1 inch long, and I was petrified to use it with our daughter. We are now expecting a little boy, and I brought out the blanket, even though I will probably never use it on him.

Oh yeah, here is a picture (I try to photograph all of my finished work...)

post-19233-135897530605_thumb.jpg

I was in my early 20's when I really started to crochet. I knew how since I was little but never really did anything with it till then.

My first project was a sampler lapghan. I used whatever colors were around and wow did they clash. Teal, gold, brown and I don't remember what else. I joined then with some sort of chain woven thru them. Each color was a different stitch.

My Grandmother was so proud of me and my beautiful tension and edges that she LOVED it. She covered her legs with it every day when she took her nap and wore it all winter long (she was in a wheelchair). She even told my Mother to bury her with it which we did.

My 2nd project was a queen size afghan made for my EXhusband with redheart and a G hook. It took over a month. It was his most favorite thing in the world. When we were divorcing he told me "You can't have my blanket!"

My very first project was a peach colored vest. I was living in Michigan during the Blizzard of 1978 (I was 12), and we were without power for about three days. So, that's what I did to pass the time.

I voted clothing but I actually started an afghan first I just finished the hat first. I just finished the hat today actually!

I voted for afghan because that was the first "real" project I did following a real pattern. I had made potholders before that, just two simple squares sewn together. After I made the afghan I started making slippers. My mother loved my crocheted slippers for her cold feet. She went through several pairs.

My very first was a turtle pillow that I gave my nephew. He was a sorry looking thing but my nephew loved it anyway.

Archived