Help with gift idea

Hello all! In August almost my entire family is going on a cruise in celebration of my Grandparents 60th Anniversary :manyheart . I'm putting together little welcome bags for each room with random fun stuff for everyone. I don't have time to MAKE things for everyone since I'm going to start on Christmas items soon, lol. But I'd like each of the kids to have something special.

My little sister is 10. I'm making a mini purse for her that looks like a sandcastle. I know she'll love that.

My cousins son is...younger than her but I'm not sure how old. Mom said that he's still into "stuffed animals" so I think I'm going to make him some of these really cute finger puppets...but stuff them and sew up the bottoms. There are aliens and a spaceship and a few other things and then there's even some sea creatures. I think the sea creatures would fit in with the cruise better...but they're all so adorable.

My problem comes in with my cousins step daughter. She's 13 or 14 and I have NO idea what to make for her! I'm only 30 but I don't really remember what I was into then and my view into what a child likes is my little sister! I don't want anything HUGE...just something little that a 13/14 yr old would like. Ughhhhhh...lol

Hmmmm....let me think....:think Well, I had three teenage daughters and they always liked the blankets I made for them. They would snuggle under them when watching television. Or perhaps a pillow for her bed? Another idea...how about a purse or tote?

I like narrow lacy scarves. Maybe in school colors or her favorite color. Worn with a t-shirt, jeans/shorts & converse/tennis shoes is really cute. If you keep it light and airy it can be worn even in the summer as a fashion statement. Good Luck!

All great ideas! Thank you!

I don't really want to make her a blanket (even a quick one, lol) since the others are just getting "small" things and I have a large project I'm going to be working on for my grandparents. I had thought about a purse...but again...that would be bigger than I'm wanting to do.

The scarf idea may be Just the thing...it won't take too long...skinny scarves are in...and I'd hazzard to guess a young teen would like one!

cruising - my 2nd favorite hobby :D:D:D:D if you want to make small cruise related items how about beaded lanyards - not sure what line you are sailing but if it's Carnival they will give you a sign and sail card - yes the younger children too - you can get holes punched in them - sorry i stink at posting links - another thought that's cruisy I've seen flip flops with crochet on the top. What ever you choose will be great - have fun and bon voyage

Fingerless gloves. The short ones that stop at the wrist and don't go up the arm. I think anything that just covers the palm of the hand is good, and probably in black or dark purple.

Wow!!! Thank you guys!!! All these ideas are great!

As for the cruise, yep - it's Carnival! Dh and I have only been on one before and it was Disney - we were very spoiled on that ship!! I'm sure we'll have an amazing time on this one too though. Lol

does she have an mp3 player? seems like a lot of teens do anymore. see if you can sneaky get the dimensions, and make a cozy for it (there's plenty of patterns, but it's an easy one to wing too--look at the super simple IPod socks you can find--even at $ stores)

or the fingerless gloves, or a funky chapstick cozy (or memory stick cozy--there were two of those posted here on the Ville recently). Tiny ami-style charm for her purse/school bag, (whatever she carries)...looong skinny scarf--lots of kids here wear them...one cute way of wearing those has it doubled, and then the two ends are pulled through the loop in opposite directions, making it look like a complicated knot...

HTH

I have been on several cruises over the years and made myself a little beaded wrist purse out of thread, just big enough to tuck the cruise room key card thingy into. It was just a rectangle with a flap and button. The bracelet was 3 single strand bracelets of the same beads: they were just safety pinned to the purse flap in case I wanted to use just the bracelets. I used it in the evenings when I was dressed up for dinner and didn't always have pockets. I'm thinking back in the dark ages my 13 year old self would have liked to do the dinner dress up with something like that.

OR, like someone said above, a more casual amulet bag thing for the card.

post-13625-135897530013_thumb.jpg

Hi! I am actually near that age, and have many friends that are. They love fingerless gloves and the tiny striped turtle KristenM made. If you search "tiny striped turtle" on crochetpatterncentral, it will bring up the link. They only take abut 1 1/2 hours!

I had a friend recently that was stuck in a similar situation. She just could not think of something to make for this teenager. I think some of it depends on the style. She was going to do the fingerless gloves but found out that this teen felt they were too "goth" and not cool... shot that idea down! she ended up making her a lacy scarf... which the teen prompty turned into a belt!

Lol, Alnee! Too funny!

Thank you, again! Soooo many great ideas!! Part of the problem is that I've never actually met her! She's my older cousins Step-daughter but he and her mom aren't together any more. My Aunt still sees her and her little brother (my cousins son) because she's "Grandma" to both. But the kids live in CT and I don't! So that's why I don't know anything about her, lol.

Lilly Flower - thank you for the perspective from someone close to the same age! That really helps!!

Archived