I would take a break and walk around a bit, sitting in one position for too long doing a repatitive motion fatitues your body

I've never experienced the numb hands or fingers but I've had sore elbow and shoulder if I crochet for a long period of time if I hadn't done it for months in between. The funny part is, it's not my hook arm that does this. I'm right handed and hold my project and yarn in my left and it's my left that gets the aches and pains from it.

Hugs and Cookies

Always happens if I crochet very long at all without getting up and getting the circulaton going in my hands. Not sure if I have a carpal tunnel problem or a circulation problem, but they definately go numb just about every time I crochet. For me it starts in the little fingers and works its way inward to the others. Thumbs don't seem to go numb though.

are you putting pressure on your elbows...like where the "funny bone" is? if i read a book in bed to long my hands go numb...and it's from putting pressure on that nerve...so how do you sit?

I usually sit cross-legged in the middle of my couch. It bugs the kids because then my yarns are hogging at least one cushion. Or I'll sit on the far right side of the couch when working with just one colour of yarn so the yarn is easier to pull through the skein. Maybe it's just jealous that the right hand gets to make all the fun stitches.

Hugs and Cookies

My fingers go numb sometimes while I am crocheting. I find that one I realize that they are numb I am either leaning on my elbows or holding my hook too tight.

Hope that helps :)

It might be helpful to answer a few questions...is it your entire hand, or just certain fingers? Different nerves are responsible for different parts of your hands. If it is both hands in their entirety, it could be a circulation issue or possibly an early sign of some peripheral neuropathy. If it's a specific area of one hand, then it could just be pressure on a specific nerve, in which case, frequent breaks are helpful. In my practice as a physical therapist, I often have patients with similar complaints, and a good practice when doing ANY repetitive motion is to take what we call "micro-breaks" every 30 minutes. I usually suggest setting a kitchen timer, as we can all lose track of time and go for HOURS without taking any kind of break (myself included), which may not be a problem for some, but when having pain, numbness or tingling, you should take care of your hands so that you can enjoy your craft for a good long time! :yes

Have you seen the items from Dritz called Creative Comfort for people with swelling or arthritis in their hands? They have a whole range of gloves, bands and things for crafters. I found this link at JoAnn's.

http://www.joann.com/joann/catalog/productdetail.jsp?pageName=search&flag=true&PRODID=zprd_02309631a

are you putting pressure on your elbows...like where the "funny bone" is? if i read a book in bed to long my hands go numb...and it's from putting pressure on that nerve...so how do you sit?

That's what happens to me too. :yes

When I first started my ring finger on my right hand was going numb and staying numb for a while. I found the problem was being caused by 2 things - using the hard metal hooks (the cheapo plastic ones don't do this and the ones with a big flat handle don't either!) and holding onto them too tight. Once I figured that out...no more numb finger.

My hands will go numb sometimes, but that's caused by holding them up - the blood rushing out of them, lol. My hands go numb while I'm sleeping for the same reason...when they're above my body the blood rushes out. Very annoying.

I have found the fat hooks help. I also try not to crochet for more that an hour a day. Makes projects go slower, but at least I can still work on them. Sometimes I'll alternate crafts so I am using different motions. Spending alot of time on the computer can contribute to the problem - and I am on the computer all day for work. There has been a lot of good info here. Thanks everyone for your input!

• 6 months later...
I've never experienced the numb hands or fingers but I've had sore elbow and shoulder if I crochet for a long period of time if I hadn't done it for months in between. The funny part is, it's not my hook arm that does this. I'm right handed and hold my project and yarn in my left and it's my left that gets the aches and pains from it.

Hugs and Cookies

I came back to post in this thread as I am having a terrible time with numbness in the little finger and ring finger of my left hand. The numbness goes up the side of my hand and into my arm too. It is not just numbness as I am now getting a huge amount of pain. Sometimes just a bad ache and sometimes stabbing, needle like feelings.

This is the hand that holds my yarn, not the hook. I can't feel the yarn anymore and my tension is not consistent. It is really bothering me on a lot of things, not just crochet. When I curl my hand, I cannot use all of my fingers, so buttoning things, even holding things is getting difficult to impossible.

I just went in for a EMG on my arm/hand. All the neurologist would tell me is I have some "unhappy nerves." He said I would have to wait to speak with my pain doc who referred me for the EMG to hear the results. So, I am waiting! I hope this is something they can fix -- the pain is getting very worrisome! At this point, I just want them to go in and kill that "unhappy nerve!"

Anyone else relate or have anything close to this happen before? This is wy beyond what I first felts as just going asleep or a numbness. I don't know if it is coming from my elbow or my neck.

I came back to post in this thread as I am having a terrible time with numbness in the little finger and ring finger of my left hand. The numbness goes up the side of my hand and into my arm too. It is not just numbness as I am now getting a huge amount of pain. Sometimes just a bad ache and sometimes stabbing, needle like feelings.

This is the hand that holds my yarn, not the hook. I can't feel the yarn anymore and my tension is not consistent. It is really bothering me on a lot of things, not just crochet. When I curl my hand, I cannot use all of my fingers, so buttoning things, even holding things is getting difficult to impossible.

I just went in for a EMG on my arm/hand. All the neurologist would tell me is I have some "unhappy nerves." He said I would have to wait to speak with my pain doc who referred me for the EMG to hear the results. So, I am waiting! I hope this is something they can fix -- the pain is getting very worrisome! At this point, I just want them to go in and kill that "unhappy nerve!"

Anyone else relate or have anything close to this happen before? This is wy beyond what I first felts as just going asleep or a numbness. I don't know if it is coming from my elbow or my neck.

Well, I hate to tell you this but I had hand surgery and now not only is it still numb, but the scar tissue feels like there's a thick glob in my palm. I hate it, I wish I never would have had the surgery.

I sometimes go numb too, usually my right hand and it has to do with the way i sit, and if i move it around, shake it out or hold it low so the blood can rush back into it, it is fine.

This is a numbness that is not going away at all, even when I don't do anything with that hand for quite some time. The pain is the worrisome part now. I could have dealt with the numbness but the pain is something else. I already take a great deal of pain med, including a fentanyl pain patch. I don't want to ramp up on meds or I won't be able to drive. I guess I will just hope I get a referral to a good ortho doc and maybe they will have an idea other than surgery. I may have to find a chiropractor to see if they have an idea of what to offer as well. I have never been to one before.

• 2 weeks later...

When I crochet quickly, I tend to have more problems with my wrists and hands. I think it is because I place more stress on them. If I crochet at a slower and more relaxed speed, I don't have near the hand problems (like pain, numbness and stiff fingers). I have also learned that how I SIT affects my arms and ultimately my hands. Keeping my back straight and my shoulders loose (not hunched) reduces the stress on my elbows and arms which greatly aids both the hand I am holding the project in and my crochet hook hand.

I hope you find a solution to help alleviate your numbness and pain. That definitely takes the fun out of crocheting.

Hugs,

Barbara

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't been on much as I have not been crocheting due to this crazy numbness which progressed to pain! Finally found out what it is after months of doctor visits. They did an EMG and I have ulnar nerve entrapment and will have to hve surgery in the coming new year. Not crazy about that, but I will be so glad to get it fixed and get back to crocheting! I cannot pick anything up, do buttons or anything detailed with my left hand. When I curl my fingers, they become useless. Weird feeling. Just thought I would update the thread to say I know what's wrong now -- just need to get it fixed. (Surgery will be on my elbow, btw)

Merry Christmas to all!

Archived