Yarn: A Moral Dilemma. WWYD?

Well, first of all some good news. I bought 4 skeins of beautiful Noro pink-purple yarn on EBay for half the recommended retail price! Hurray for me! I'm actually going to make something with it for myself - because of the Icelandic volcano, I missed my brother's wedding, so I treated myself to this yarn to make myself a shawl for the dress I never got to wear. I'll wear it at my sister's wedding - if I can fly to it in July. :eek

Anyway - the moral dilemma:

while on eBay, I noticed a lady was selling a number of hand-knit items made from Noro yarn, with a starting price of €1 ... and no bids. There's also an option to buy immediately, for 50, 70 or 90 euros. Being a thrifty crafter, I immediately looked at these pullovers (none of which I would wear myself) and instantly thought about how much wool I could regain from unravelling them. :D But I can't bring myself to bid on any of them because, by the looks of things, the chances of me actually getting them for pittance is very high and I can't bring myself to undervalue another crafter's work to such an extent. My DH says I should bid anyway - if you put something in at auction, you'll have to take a chance on it not selling or selling for way below its value, but I still feel really mean.

What do you think?

I see why you'd feel a little guilty But she has them up for a low start bid and she had to expect they might sell for that.You always take that chance when you're starting price is really low.I say go for it ;)

I don't think you should feel guilty at all. it is her choice to sell the items this way and someone will end up bidding on them. she can put a "reserve" on her items so that she gets a minimum price for them. I think it is actually being a good steward of your own resources by recycling the yarn. I also think it shows strong character on your part that you examine this closely to make the right choice.

While I can appreciate the direction your moral compass has taken, Miss C., I'm leaning toward Beth's and Alisha's thoughts on this. The seller could have set a reserve if she wasn't up to considering a low bid... If you found these same sweaters in the discount/clearance bin at a 'brick and mortar' business (i.e. an out-of-season sale), would you hesitate to purchase them?

It's too bad that you were grounded from attending your Brother's wedding, such timing. = : (

I look forward to seeing your Noro shawl treat when you finish it!

Glad to hear you treated yourself to some yarn to console yourself from not being able to go to the wedding. I think everyone so far has made some good points over why you shouldn't feel guilty over bidding. You never know how those auctions are going to go because often lots of bids come in at the end.

O/T I read online today (Monday) that the UK is sending Warships to rescue their stranded citizens. If the Skies don't open up soon you may get a ride on a ship.

Fingers crossed that you get home soon.

As for the topic: What the crafter doesn't know will not hurt her/him.

Once you buy something, you can do anything you please with the item. You shouldn't feel guilty at all about it.

Ebay is like that. On some items, you make a killing...on others, nil. It all evens out in the end. But, really, it's the good deals that keep us shopping on ebay. Otherwise, we'd all buy retail, which is usually less risky than purchasing from unknowns. So, keep ebay alive and unravel those handknit items!

Maybe the seller of these items, just wants to get rid of them, and doesn't mind any price. Anyone selling something, always hopes to gain the most....even if an item isn't worth it. Some sellers can be really crass, but not in all instances. Just go for it and don't worry about it. It's business.

I think you should go for it as well. You said that it is not something you would wear --- maybe the seller feels the same way. At any rate she must be willing to let them go for that or she would have listed them higher. If you can make good use of the yarn I say bid.

But the moral thing is that you personally know what it takes to make a garment, time and talent-wise and you don't want to feel like you are not paying enough.

But if it is on Ebay, it's the chance the crafter put on herself.

I would bid on it. But that's me.

:manyheart

I say go for it too. I don't think it is that diffrent then when I got to a thrift store and find a afghan with wonderfull yarn that is being sold for very little. I bring it home and repurpose the yarn. Then it goes on to be a baby hat, or a updated blanket for Hospice, a newly diagnosed cancer patient, or slipper for the troups.

Archived