Just need encouragement...

I'm making a baby blanket for a friend of mine who is due on April 22nd. It will be my first finished project ever and it's just made up simple made solid color granny squares. White, blue, green, pink, yellow and white. Itll look like the image below, just square and with all the squares the same size. I suck at Paintbrush... anyway, I have 15 squares done which means I have a whopping 32 to go and they still need stitched together and I need to do the scalloped edge which will just be shell stitches around it (something else I've never done). I hope to have 25 done by the end of Sunday, but right now it all seems so daunting... *sigh* :eek

post-36556-135897506399_thumb.jpg

You can do it....the great thing about squares you can take them anywhere with you and work on them...when u finally put it together..you will be thrilled and it will be a wonderful and treasured gift for all time....GO AMY GO!!!!!:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Don't think about how many you have left to make. That will make it endless. Just think how beautiful it will be when its all done and how much your friend will love it!

:cheer GO AMY! :cheer

:turtle:vheart

Just make one and then another, then another. I always say to my boys when things seem to get on top of them : If you want a sandwich you take a loaf of bread and cut off one or two slices at a time, you wouldn't just attempt to eat the whole thing.

Don't worry - you'll get there.:hug

:cheer:cheerYOU CAN DO IT!!!!:cheer:cheer

I don't know big your squares are but I would assume they aren't extremely big since the blanket is being made for a baby. I suggest putting yarn, a hook and a small pair of scissors or nail clippers in a plastic bag in your purse or in your car. That way if you ever have a few minutes while waiting for something (doctor, dmv line) you can pull it out and work on a square. You've already got a 1/3 of your squares done. You can do it and your friend will love it when it's done. As for the edging, a shell isn't hard at all and once you do you first 2 or 3 shells you'll be whipping right through it.

Remember if you ever have questions there are plenty of experienced women on here who can explain just about anything.

Amy you are half way through constructung the squares! Job well done and you can definitely finish this. I SO look forward to seeing a photo of your finished gift. :cheer:cheer:cheer

We are all chanting for you: AMY, AMY, AMY!!! :hook

Wow! Thanks everyone! You've totally re-energized me to work on it!! If for no other reason than I can show it to you all when I'm done!

The squares AREN'T big. They're about 6.5 inches. There's just so many of them! But one at a time... I'm going to work on it a lot this weekend. Thanks a lot everyone! It really helps.

I'm making a baby blanket for a friend of mine who is due on April 22nd. It will be my first finished project ever and it's just made up simple made solid color granny squares. White, blue, green, pink, yellow and white. Itll look like the image below, just square and with all the squares the same size. I suck at Paintbrush... anyway, I have 15 squares done which means I have a whopping 32 to go and they still need stitched together and I need to do the scalloped edge which will just be shell stitches around it (something else I've never done). I hope to have 25 done by the end of Sunday, but right now it all seems so daunting... *sigh* :eek

Make a game out of it. Time yourself to see how long it takes to make one granny square. Then try to beat your time with the next square. Or, you can make three squares, paying attention to how long it takes you to make each one, then take an average time. From there, figure out how many squares you can make in whatever time you have each night to dedicate to crocheting, and you'll find that most of your time making this afghan is going to be taken up by weaving in ends and sewing the square together.

I timed myself and found that I can make a four-row granny (the size I normally make, ends up being about 5 to 6 inches) in 10 minutes. Even if you don't push yourself, if you do only 10 squares a night, at 20 minutes a square, it will only take you five nights to crochet all the squares you need. And that's for the whole afghan. You only need 32 more squares. Shoot for four a night and if you religiously do four a night, you will have all of the rest of your squares finished in eight nights. It will only be February 28 when you finish the squares. Even if you allow a whole week to weave in the ends, you still have five weeks before the baby is due. It will take a couple of nights to sew the squares together, and even if it takes you another two weeks to sew it together and crochet the border around it, you will have the baby blanket finished before the end of March, which is three weeks before the baby is due.

My average time to make a baby blanket (with the exception of the Noah's Ark one with all the animal appliques that have to be crocheted and sewn on) is five nights, and that's if I don't push myself. Once in an emergency I made the Tiramisu baby blanket in two nights. Of course, there was no sewing together of squares with that, it was all one piece except for the border, but my fingers were movin'! :lol

You can save yourself a little bit of end-weaving by crocheting the first inch of the tail in with the next row, trapping it underneath the three DCs. That way, you'll still have to weave in a bit of the end, but it will save a little bit of time.

Just tell yourself "I can do this! This is NOTHING!" and keep a positive attitude and you'll do fine! Please post a picture when you're finished!

Amy, I agree with the others. Don't think of all the squares you have to make. Just make them and I know that once you start putting the afghan together and you see what you have accomplished you will be so proud of yourself. Please let us see the blanket once you have finished it. Go Amy, you can do it.....

I want to thank you all so much. Because of you I started the weekend with 15 squares done and right now because of your encouragement I'm at 27 and will hopefully be at 30 by the end of the night. And having 19 left instead of 32 is such a relief. So thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I want to thank you all so much. Because of you I started the weekend with 15 squares done and right now because of your encouragement I'm at 27 and will hopefully be at 30 by the end of the night. And having 19 left instead of 32 is such a relief. So thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

See there? And from there, if you just do three squares each night, by next weekend you will be weaving in the ends and then you can spend the following weeknights after work sewing them together. You'll have the afghan finished by St. Patrick's Day, in PLENTY of time for the baby! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! GO! :cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

• 3 weeks later...

You were all so great encouraging me on this that I just wanted to post and update as to where I am so far. I need to connect the squares on 3 more rows, weave the ends and then do the border. Then that's it!!! Thank you all again!!

post-36556-13589751256_thumb.jpg

that is soo cute! I was going to say.. you can do it! I started mine on Feb 20th and am at basically the same point as you. I do have one great thing working for me though..

I can crochet at work! Sometimes I love being a customer service rep.

Archived