Let It Snow 2010 (Crocheted Snowflakes CAL and Share)

marikamum

Here are three flakes that I had pinned before I saw Gardener's wonderful link. I am sure that additional ones will be much nicer thanks to that great graph. Thanks Gardener. :hug

WOW!!! Awesome!!!

:heart

:mug

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here are three flakes that I had pinned before I saw Gardener's wonderful link. I am sure that additional ones will be much nicer thanks to that great graph. Thanks Gardener. :hug

Lovely flakes!

I would love to join this. I decided at Christmas that "snowflakes" were going to be my new decorating theme. So, I should probably get started early. Also, I gave crocheted snowflakes that I made to all my daughter's teachers. I attached them to Bath & Body handsoap and they loved it. It was quick and easy and I plan on doing it again next year. So the idea is to make one snowflake a week. Is that right?

That has been the idea in the past incarnations of this CAL, but I must admit we are even more laid back than usual these days and the idea is basically just to do what you can, when you can and share in all the wonderful :flake:manyheart.

By the way, :hi everyone :welcome to any new comers and sorry that I've been away for so long, things have been busy at school and such and I just haven't made it to the 'Ville to pay a visit. Lovely to see the work that has been going on in my absence :):crocheting!

I'm not fussy about what material you use :no I'm not even that fussed that you actually make any :lol, I coordinated the Snowflake Mondays CAL last year and don't think I made more than a tenth of the flakes :P...

I just drop the ball of thread next to me when I crochet with crochet cotton, no fancy holders of any kind (though they might come in handy :lol...) Sometimes I have my thread or yarn on a ziploc bag so it can bop around without going for a little exploration on the floor :eek...

Personally, my favourite stiffener is a mix of PVA glue and water, then I use T-pins to pin the flakes out onto some boards I made using a six - twelve point concentric circle grid I printed out from an older snowflake site (I think it is archived now, so unable to be posted here on the 'Ville) which I glued onto a fabric bolt core, then covered with baking paper and then plastic wrap (I think - long time ago!). It works a treat!

I am Marikamum on Ravelry and I pop round the Crocheted Snowflakes group as well... I might even post a note about the CAL there... :)

:welcome

Hi, I'm new to Crochetville and I love making crochet snowflakes.

I usually find a strong cardboard box, cover with waxed paper or saran and then pin the flakes onto the sides and top. I also have concentric circles that I print and then place under the wax paper or saran for even sizing of the flakes. With a board idea like yours, I wouldn't have to scrounge for strong boxes all the time . . . lol

What is the CAL?

Hi Linda. Basically the CAL is just to crochet snowflakes whenever you have the time and want to make one, and then share your work here, along with a pattern source if available.

Last year, Marika posted a new pattern each Monday, but as she said, we've been more laid back this year. Last year by this time, I had made 10 or 12 flakes, this year its been one so far.

I usually find a strong cardboard box, cover with waxed paper or saran and then pin the flakes onto the sides and top. I also have concentric circles that I print and then place under the wax paper or saran for even sizing of the flakes. With a board idea like yours, I wouldn't have to scrounge for strong boxes all the time . . . lol

What is the CAL?

CAL = Crochet A-Long ... as Linda mentioned, we are not really any more specific this year than "crochet snowflakes... show us... (ooohhh...pretty...) tell us about them so we can do some too..." :devil

Hi Linda. Basically the CAL is just to crochet snowflakes whenever you have the time and want to make one, and then share your work here, along with a pattern source if available.

Last year, Marika posted a new pattern each Monday, but as she said, we've been more laid back this year. Last year by this time, I had made 10 or 12 flakes, this year its been one so far.

He he he ... I think you are ahead of me! But I still :manyheart them!

I've just been too busy with other things and have been trying to finish up other projects and... excuses, excuses LOL...

:hug :hug :ghug to all!

Very pretty flakes here. I like the middle sized one. Sorry for not giving credit to you for posting graph. Need to pay more attention. :yes:yes

No worries!

This is absolutely beautiful. Thanks for your generosity in sharing your patterns.

You are most welcome!

When I was growing up, we couldn't afford patterns. So if I wanted to make something, I had to make it up as I went. At the time, I always thought it would be cool to be able to buy the patterns to make some of the cool stuff I admired, but now I'm glad my grandma and my mom encouraged me to do without. Because it IS fun to design stuff!

My grandmother was trying to teach me to make a pair of baby booties for my youngest sister when I was about 10. I remember now her working on a tablecloth (and finishing it) while trying to teach me how to shape the bootie. I believe she finished the entire table cloth (circular pineapple with thread, if I recall correctly, which she designed as she went) while I slaved away at those tiny booties.

Fun memories! Thanks for inspiring me to relive them.

PS: For the record, I hoard patterns now. :) Both purchased and free. I make up patterns for most everything I make, but I still can't resist collecting patterns!

I've been having really good luck using a ceiling tile, covered with waxed paper, to pin and starch my snowflakes. You can get several small sizes on one, or one large one in the middle! And it's really easy to get the pins in and out of, and very economical--less than $1 per tile! :yes

:crocheting Collette

What is the CAL?

Geez, we were super buried in the CALs this week! Maybe it's spring fever??? Not in the mood for snow anymore?!? Me too!!!

Here is my latest snowflake pattern. It doubles as a flower.

post-31952-135897515344_thumb.jpg

post-31952-135897515346_thumb.jpg

Geez, we were super buried in the CALs this week! Maybe it's spring fever??? Not in the mood for snow anymore?!? Me too!!!

Here is my latest snowflake pattern. It doubles as a flower.

Ver pretty - light and airy...

Im going to be moving soon! I cant wait for my first christmas in my new home away from my parents house! I want to decorate my first christmas tree with crochet'd ornaments! I think it'd be super fun!!

I'm sure it will be lovely! Remember to take pics and share them here!

Good morning! Hope you had a wonderful Easter!

This is the most complicated snowflake I've designed to date.

post-31952-135897519764_thumb.jpg

post-31952-135897519766_thumb.jpg

Good morning! Hope you had a wonderful Easter!

This is the most complicated snowflake I've designed to date.

Lovely pics of the very special flake. I have printed it off and hope to do it this week :').

:hug

Marika

Archived