Let It Snow 2010 (Crocheted Snowflakes CAL and Share)

marikamum

I've also started to run a list on the first post of this thread of flakes mentioned in the thread and their sources... and if you consider the fact that the past 2 1/2 years of CALs were limited to free, online flake patterns - if you start including patterns that require payment and ones in pamphlets and books, you could probably end up doing a different one for every day of the year :crocheting:flake:snow:2snow:rofl!

:rofl:drool:rofl I am definitely that ambitious, but what an idea! :rofl:drool:rofl

• Replies 300
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a 99 snowflakes book. I think I am going to try this. Wish me luck. And thank you for letting me lurk and post. I am sure I will have a ton of questions.

:mdust luck :mdust

My one request is that when you post pics of your finished flakes, let us know what # they are in the book... also, on your first post, if you could give the citation info for the book so that I can list it in the sources area, that would be super cool :c9...

Cheers!

Said I was joining this crochet-a-long either last year or the year before, but felt completely overwhelmed by thread crochet. So I lurked and loved all the snowflakes I saw.

I'm not very confident in my yarn crochet skills, although I can make scarves! So I decided to get over my fear of thread crochet by starting with Snowflakes.

I started and completed my first Snowflake/thread crochet project ever!

I used this free pattern that was listed in the 2008 crochet-a-long (i think)

http://gardeners-ramblings.blogspot.com/2008/12/super-simple-crocheted-snowflake.html

I must say, this was pretty easy to do, so I plan on making this one everyday this week (hopefully) to improve my skills.

I used size 10 thread and a Susan bates 2.75mm hook. It was the smallest that my local Joann store carried. Can't wait to get the new hooks I ordered from the Joann's website!

Comments and Criticism welcome.

Thanks for such a great site!

post-13654-135897493299_thumb.jpg

Said I was joining this crochet-a-long either last year or the year before, but felt completely overwhelmed by thread crochet. So I lurked and loved all the snowflakes I saw.

I'm not very confident in my yarn crochet skills, although I can make scarves! So I decided to get over my fear of thread crochet by starting with Snowflakes.

http://gardeners-ramblings.blogspot.com/2008/12/super-simple-crocheted-snowflake.html

I must say, this was pretty easy to do, so I plan on making this one everyday this week (hopefully) to improve my skills.

I used size 10 thread and a Susan bates 2.75mm hook. It was the smallest that my local Joann store carried. Can't wait to get the new hooks I ordered from the Joann's website!

Very definitely a lovely snowflake. Good job! :cheer:clap:cheer

:yay Beautiful job, welcome to the dark side! :devil:rofl (just kidding, I don't think thread is the dark side ;)...)

You did a great job on your first flake. I am somewhat intimidated by thread too, and have not yet tried a snowflake in size 10 thread. (although I did buy some......)

I love snowflakes. Not only they look so great whererver you put them, but also they are a nice break when you do some big projects. When I am too tired to crochet something big after work, snowflakes are perfect to just relax a bit :). So I will definitely visit this CAL :D. Before Christmas I made over 80 snowflakes and of course it was not enough!!!

I have "99 Snowflakes" leaflet and I also got "More Snowflakes in crochet thread" by Mary Thomas - you can find 16 patterns there.

I have two pattern booklets by Leisure Arts that have snowflake patterns in them. Our Best Christmas Thread Crochet has 12 snowflake patterns out of 42 projects. Copyright 1997. (I bought it for the 6 angel ornament patterns.) White Christmas in Thread Crochet has 54 patterns, 25 of which are for snowflakes. Copyright 2001. Both have several 3D snowflakes. I haven't tried any of those yet. :lol

I have two pattern booklets by Leisure Arts that have snowflake patterns in them. Our Best Christmas Thread Crochet has 12 snowflake patterns out of 42 projects. Copyright 1997. (I bought it for the 6 angel ornament patterns.) White Christmas in Thread Crochet has 54 patterns, 25 of which are for snowflakes. Copyright 2001. Both have several 3D snowflakes. I haven't tried any of those yet. :lol

I haven't tried any 3D snowflakes neither, but they look great - lucky me, because my aunt made a few for me :D

post-30828-135897493867_thumb.jpg

Anna that flake is really pretty..LUCKY you..Something for me to try..I started to make a flake and lost my hook..Wally world where live doesn't sell them singly anymore..And the 7 isn't in the set they do sell..So now I have to find somewhere that does sell them...But until I do I'm gonna work it in a 6 and see what happens..Will pos pics when I do...Debbie

Thanks for all the great comments on my first flake. :manyheart I completed a second one! A different one which I like alot.

Will post a pic later on.

What are the steps to stiffen the flakes and how do I make sure that the flakes are stiffened with nice crisp edges? Do I use pins? What type?

Thanks for all the great comments on my first flake. :manyheart I completed a second one! A different one which I like alot.

Will post a pic later on.

What are the steps to stiffen the flakes and how do I make sure that the flakes are stiffened with nice crisp edges? Do I use pins? What type?

Very nice snowflake!

There is a site with tons of good info on stiffening snowflakes. It's at

http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/stiffeners.html or you can do a search for "how to stiffen crochet snowflakes"

There is also a crochet snowflake group at yahoo.

Very nice snowflake!

There is a site with tons of good info on stiffening snowflakes. It's at

http://crochet.tangleweeds.com/stiffeners.html or you can do a search for "how to stiffen crochet snowflakes"

There is also a crochet snowflake group at yahoo.

:yay I was thinking of this resource but hadn't had the chance to hunt it down :hug!

Hello and Welcome to Let It Snow 2010!

I have been a member and coordinator of the Snowflake Mondays CAL for a couple of years. This year no one had as yet stepped forward to continue that CAL as previously incarnated, so I am proposing a new sort of snowflake CAL this year.

To all lovers of crocheted snowflakes - come, hang out, chat and share your favourite flakes. All flakes are welcomed, please give the source when you share them, whether it is free and online, paid and online, in a book, in a leaflet, in your very own head (in which case be prepared to be cajoled to get it onto paper :lol) or what have you. Let's all pool resources and share our love of the delicate lacy snowflakes and....

:flake :flake :flake LET IT SNOW!!!!:flake :flake :flake

BTW, I am hoping for this to be a fun, welcoming, chatty thread, so feel free to hop on in , the snow is fine! :cheer

SNOWFLAKE SOURCE LIST

Flakes Available Online (Free)

Snowflake Mondays 2009 List (Individual flakes may be repeated later if people make and post URLs :))

Snowflake Mondays 2008 List (Individual flakes may be repeated later if people make and post URLs :))

Marikamum, quick question. The 2009 and 2008 list links take you to the same page, which is the 2009 list. Do you have the correct link for the 2008 list-I've searched for a while and and can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

Marikamum, quick question. The 2009 and 2008 list links take you to the same page, which is the 2009 list. Do you have the correct link for the 2008 list-I've searched for a while and and can't seem to find it.

Thanks!

Hi!

The 2008 list is there in post #10 of the 2009 group. Just scroll down to post 10.

Wanda, thanks for posting the tanglewoods blocking and stiffening info link. Do you think we should mention the blocking pattern template listed on the "blocking" page there?

happy crocheting,

Thanks!

It is very odd, the link address was correct for bringing you straight to the 2008 list post but it didn't function properly. I have fixed it and it worked properly in my test, but if you would be so kind to check it again and let me know whether it works, that would be brilliant :D. (As I think I tested it originally and it worked initially, so it may just break with use, like my VCR this morning when trying to play my 3.4 yo son's new favourite program :eek.)

Cheers!

Archived