2010 Weight Loss CAL

Tia

OK, I think that I will officially pick a project for this CAL. It's called "I love Scraps Afghan". I found it at crochetmagazine.com. I'm thinking one set of repeats for each pound lost. I'll have to get started for the pound I lost last week.

OK, what happens if I gain? Do I need to rip out?:lol:eek

I love scrap'ghans!!!

but think... if you use up all your scraps... you'll need more yarn...LOL..LOL...LOL

For me, I wouldn't rip out anything if I gain any pounds. I put it somewhere I can see it. Sometimes, it beg me to finish it which push me harder to lose some pounds or add exercise days.

My original goal is to lose 20-30 pounds. Wow, 20-30 pounds of yarn to add to my yarn stash boggles my brain. My geeky side is definitely all giddy over the idea. :lol

I am doing an afghan that is made of tunisian crochet - strips of tiles in order of colors in my signature. Soon, I should post a picture of my afghan in progress and details.

ooooohh.... cant wait to see............ :U

yep.... 20-30 pounds of yarn............ oh.. the love of it all!!! :hook

:heart

:mug

• Replies 698
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:jumpyayn I Love the pound for pound idea!!

This week is not going to be good for me but hopefully I may be able to pull something out this weekend. Work is ridiculous with changes everywhere...including my position! I did a drive-thru at McD's and munched on a Flurry. :blush

I hope ya'll have had a better week!

What about a skein for every pound lost? People like me, whose spouse thinks we have way too much yarn already, would be getting a yarn fix without freaking out the SO with so many jumbo skeins coming in.

You know, I think I like that idea. I'll do it myself!:D

One skein for every pound lost. with all of the crocheting I have planned for this year I had best get going!:hook

I love the idea of buying yarn for every pound lost. I don't have enough room for all of my yarn as it is! My poor cats wouldn't have any place to sleep if I keep buying more. :lol

I still haven't really fallen in love with an idea. I liked the idea of a shawl or an afghan, but nothing is really doing it for me.

I started "leading" a weight loss class at my mom's office (we work very close together). So, I'll be weighing in on Tuesday's instead of Sunday for my sanity...I'd go insane if I did it both days I'm afraid.

So, off to seriously search for the perfect project.

Here's my madness about my method of gaining yarn for lost weight.

I know I'm not going to lose more than a few pounds at a time. One week.. maybe 1 pound... another week.. maybe 3.... but another week... I may lose nothing! Well... the deal is... I cant buy ANY new yarn unless I've earned it! So if I see a really cool pattern I want to work on.. but dont have the yarn... I have to wait until I earn it by weight loss to buy it. This does a few things.. 1) keeps me focused and serious about wanting to get healthier by taking off some weight! 2) using my stash to make awesome fun stuff. and 3) gives me a chance to reward myself for all my hard work with something I love......... YARN!

So a pound of yarn gained for a pound of weight lost... is definitely going to boost my incentive! :hook

A skein per a pound loss sounds good too. I have a low budget so this idea is more reasonable. I still like the pounder idea. :lol I think I can do that for 10 pound loss incentive. 3 pounds left to reach this goal!

Later on, I might pull out a WIM pattern and see how many yarns it required. Then I will work my weight off to reach the amount of yarn. By then, my budget hopefully can manage more yarn purchase. :devil I tend to lose 1-2 pounds per week.

FYI: I plan to make a selfish gift to myself after the afghan; a pretty sweater or bag to treat myself for my success!

Update: I just make a homemade chai latte with soy milk (vanilla) and some Quaker's oatmeal (maple syrup flavor) heated up with same milk for breakfast. I am finally eating breakfast daily! Soon, I am going to heat up edname salad (frozen plain veggies) and bring it to work for lunch.

So what is the magic here? I read the forums with your messages and suddenly, I've been able to exercise EVERY DAY since I joined. I've had a healthy breakfast, salad for lunch and no snack machine visits. Only slip-up was having nachos for supper last night. Just cheese and chips and a dollop of sour cream. Since that's all I had, it still wasn't bad.

I'm not even suffering. I'm hardly hungry. And I'm taking 40 mg of prednisone a day, which normally would have me devouring any food stuffs within an acre of me. The only difference in porking out for the last year and now is 1) I'm knitting and crocheting every day and 2) I'm on this forum.

Gotta be magic. Can't wait to weigh in next week!

Thanks for the collective strength, friends! :hug

I know what ya mean Andie!

Its awesome isnt it!?!

I have a feeling of excitement coming here to share of my own ... and encourage others! Which in that causes me to not have any problems "being good" through the day!

I'm so happy for you! Keep up the good work!

I understand how the prednizone can do that to ya! My 11yr old has had his dealings with that stuff! The feeling of no control!

So for you to be feeling so good... is just awesome!!! Dont forget to drink your water... :hug

Like the idea--very intriguing. I am new in crochetville (but definitely not new to WL:lol). I'll come up with a plan that will keep me motivated and fill everyone in on it! I find picking up a hook and some yarn to be a good start (who wants to get yucky food particles all over their nice yarn:lol). Good luck to all and I look forward to getting to know you all!!!:yay

So what is the magic here? I read the forums with your messages and suddenly, I've been able to exercise EVERY DAY since I joined. I've had a healthy breakfast, salad for lunch and no snack machine visits. Only slip-up was having nachos for supper last night. Just cheese and chips and a dollop of sour cream. Since that's all I had, it still wasn't bad.

I'm not even suffering. I'm hardly hungry. And I'm taking 40 mg of prednisone a day, which normally would have me devouring any food stuffs within an acre of me. The only difference in porking out for the last year and now is 1) I'm knitting and crocheting every day and 2) I'm on this forum.

Gotta be magic. Can't wait to weigh in next week!

Thanks for the collective strength, friends! :hug

Yup, the magic is working big time here too.

Like the idea--very intriguing. I am new in crochetville (but definitely not new to WL:lol). I'll come up with a plan that will keep me motivated and fill everyone in on it! I find picking up a hook and some yarn to be a good start (who wants to get yucky food particles all over their nice yarn:lol). Good luck to all and I look forward to getting to know you all!!!:yay

Welcome to this CAL and to Crochetville! :welcome Lots of good support and ideas here.

OK, I think that I will officially pick a project for this CAL. It's called "I love Scraps Afghan". I found it at crochetmagazine.com. I'm thinking one set of repeats for each pound lost. I'll have to get started for the pound I lost last week.

OK, what happens if I gain? Do I need to rip out?:lol:eek

Just needed to edit my plan a bit. After starting this I realized that I need to do 3" per pound lost if I ever want to get it finished.:yes

Andie~ I know what you mean about the magic of this forum. It has really given me incentive to exercise daily.

maire58~ A big welcome is sent your way!:welcome:hi Glad you decided to join us!

Welcome, glad to have you with us! :hug

Good Morning everyone!!!

Have any fun plans for the weekend? We have Basketball games for the two younger ones to attend! :cheer I love watching my boys play!

Its super foggy here today. They say the fog is a freezing fog... so the roads are slick! YUCK!

I know today is Photo Friday and we are to post something related to our weight loss... so I hope this counts. This is a current afghan I'm working on that is keeping my hands busy so that I dont snack!

It's called "Hip to be Square" Its alot of fun... real easy... and has my attention instead of food! :D

The color is off... due to taking the picture in the evening and not having natural day light to show the true colors.... but you get the idea.

post-18634-135897498083_thumb.jpg

Have a Fabulous Friday and a Wonderful Weekend everyone!!!

Good Morning everyone!!!

Have any fun plans for the weekend? We have Basketball games for the two younger ones to attend! :cheer I love watching my boys play!

Its super foggy here today. They say the fog is a freezing fog... so the roads are slick! YUCK!

I know today is Photo Friday and we are to post something related to our weight loss... so I hope this counts. This is a current afghan I'm working on that is keeping my hands busy so that I dont snack!

It's called "Hip to be Square" Its alot of fun... real easy... and has my attention instead of food! :D

The color is off... due to taking the picture in the evening and not having natural day light to show the true colors.... but you get the idea.

[ATTACH]15537[/ATTACH]

Have a Fabulous Friday and a Wonderful Weekend everyone!!!

Beautiful!

I have earned three more saltines for my dragon ghan which will give me three full blocks for "Show and Tell Friday." I'll take a picture in a bit when I have it together. I've been doing really well with the diet so far this week. All the support here helps a lot. :hug

Beautiful!

I have earned three more saltines for my dragon ghan which will give me three full blocks for "Show and Tell Friday." I'll take a picture in a bit when I have it together. I've been doing really well with the diet so far this week. All the support here helps a lot. :hug

Thank you!!!

GOOD FOR YOU! I cant wait to see you dragon'ghan!

how fun is this... you get smaller and you 'ghan gets bigger......... :hook

thank you again for letting come play with you all. This is a GREAT help to me! :hug

Tam - I have this blanket quenued a while ago on Ravelry. :lol It's a WIM for me, a blanket at my parents' place. I steal her xmas blanket for tv nights at their place. :heehee

Hmm, it's a good idea. In Febuary, I should get some yarn for this WIM so I have a project at their place. :yes

It's raining all week. So I did some deep cleaning around my place. I feel good about it because it get me more active than usual. Usually, rainy days make me more lazy about things. Nothing wrong with reading a book or working on craft projects though.

I will be out for the weekend. I will see ya'll next week. :manyheart

Wow, your projects are coming along really nice! I'll be going to son#3's basketball games and son#4's karate this weekend. Other than that, I plan on putting away the Christmas decorations ( I know I'm a little behind,but the house looks so bare without them.).

No photo from me yet, but I did my first 3 inches on the afghan for the pound I lost last week. I will try to post a pic later.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!:cheer

Love seeing the project pics, you guys are really making progress! :clap

I'm still trying to find the perfect project. :think Been racking my brain for months because I abandoned last year's project a long time ago.

What I really want to do is make myself a sweater. But what size do I make it? Don't know what size I'll be and it's best to be able to try on the sweater as you make it. So I guess I'll need to pick something else for now and save up for the perfect yarn for my sweater (or fiber to spin the yarn, yeah!) :yes

hmmm.....to be continued....

Tam - I have this blanket quenued a while ago on Ravelry. :lol It's a WIM for me, a blanket at my parents' place. I steal her xmas blanket for tv nights at their place. :heehee

Hmm, it's a good idea. In Febuary, I should get some yarn for this WIM so I have a project at their place. :yes

It's raining all week. So I did some deep cleaning around my place. I feel good about it because it get me more active than usual. Usually, rainy days make me more lazy about things. Nothing wrong with reading a book or working on craft projects though.

I will be out for the weekend. I will see ya'll next week. :manyheart

:D its a really neat afghan!

yes.... you should get some yarn and make one! :yes

Here is the promised picture of my progress so far on the dragon quiltghan. This is the top left corner of the ghan.

I LOVE IT!!

Wow, your projects are coming along really nice! I'll be going to son#3's basketball games and son#4's karate this weekend. Other than that, I plan on putting away the Christmas decorations ( I know I'm a little behind,but the house looks so bare without them.).

No photo from me yet, but I did my first 3 inches on the afghan for the pound I lost last week. I will try to post a pic later.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!:cheer

Congrats on the lost pound and progress on your afghan! :yay

Love seeing the project pics, you guys are really making progress! :clap

I'm still trying to find the perfect project. :think Been racking my brain for months because I abandoned last year's project a long time ago.

What I really want to do is make myself a sweater. But what size do I make it? Don't know what size I'll be and it's best to be able to try on the sweater as you make it. So I guess I'll need to pick something else for now and save up for the perfect yarn for my sweater (or fiber to spin the yarn, yeah!) :yes

hmmm.....to be continued....

What about a sweater made up of motifs? you could make a motif for each pound. :U

Good morning! I weighed in at 1 lb. gained, BUT I'm dealing with tom and that usually makes me gain 2 lbs. So really I think I've lost a lb. Next week I should see a loss on the scale. :xfin

Good morning! I weighed in at 1 lb. gained, BUT I'm dealing with tom and that usually makes me gain 2 lbs. So really I think I've lost a lb. Next week I should see a loss on the scale. :xfin

Oh yeah........... I'm sure you're good!

I usually deal with a 3 to 4 pound gain. Just drink plenty of water and keep your system flushed and you will do just fine! :hug I'm cheering for ya! :cheer

Yep, tom will throw you off for sure. It usually was good for a 3 to 4 pound gain for me. Just keep doing the right stuff. :cheer

In spite of blowing the diet yesterday big time, I managed to lose 3 1/4 pounds for the week. I see the doctor on Tuesday, so this should make her happy. I'm finally headed in the right direction. Down!

Yep, tom will throw you off for sure. It usually was good for a 3 to 4 pound gain for me. Just keep doing the right stuff. :cheer

In spite of blowing the diet yesterday big time, I managed to lose 3 1/4 pounds for the week. I see the doctor on Tuesday, so this should make her happy. I'm finally headed in the right direction. Down!

:yay:woo:yay

Good for you!!!! 3 1/4 pounds is awesome!:cheer

Archived