Turtleneck Tissue Box Cover

MimiFL

Here's a gift I made for a friend of mine. When I first saw the pattern, I just fell in love with it! I especially like the turtleneck. I found it in a book called From Needles to Hook - a book about achieving knit effects with crochet (in this case, the 3D zigzag effect). I bought the book in part because I liked that pattern so much!

The hard part was the long sc on the sides. I think posted stitches would've been easier, because you can tighten one part of the stitch and not another. With singles, if you make the stitch loose, the 'post' of the stitch looks good, but the top loop is too large; if you make your stitch too tight, the loop looks good but the 'post' pulls too much. It was really hard to get the right balance. I almost gave up halfway through but decided to just keep plowing through. And I finished it! :hook

The pattern calls for worsted weight. I never could match that gauge with worsted weight. So I kept trying different yarns and hooks, to no avail. :( Then I noticed I had a skein of Deborah Norville Serenity Sport just lying around, that I hadn't tried yet (because really, what can you do with one skein?). I tried it (with a 3.75 mm hook) and the gauge was spot on! :D

The recipient just loved it! :) As for me, I swore I would never do this pattern again... then I decided I liked the finished product too much and had to have one of my own, so I bought another skein of the same yarn and am planning on making it after Christmas. :blush

post-5153-135897486782_thumb.jpg

post-5153-135897486784_thumb.jpg

post-5153-135897486787_thumb.jpg

post-5153-13589748679_thumb.jpg

That is a beautiful pattern. Love it!

Thank you also for mention of this book...I'm always on the lookout for books, magazines, etc. and really don't like to buy or subscribe to them unless I've heard good notes. I just told my husband I'll put this book on my wish list :)

You got it, Heather, it's open at the bottom. :)

I shipped it with the tissue box (so my friend could see what it was!) and it was a really tight fit. Which I guess is good, you don't want the thing to be too floppy. ;)

Now, I am not really a fan of tissue box covers but this one is absolutely priceless! You know, Mimi, while the long stitches look great, you could always substitute post stitches when you make it for yourself. I'm going to have to look up that book! Thanks for sharing this.

Roli, I thought about that, tried it, and it just didn't have the same look, so I decided to stick with the pattern (for once, lol).

Thanks for all the comments, I'm glad you all like it! :D

Archived