Am I the only one who is small hook challenged? LOL

I seem to have problems crocheting with anything smaller than an H hook. At first I thought I had issues crocheting in the round, but then I realized I did well on a stocking hat using an H hook. Everything I have tried using smaller hooks, just does not look good and I feel like my fingers are tripping over each other. Probably doesn't help that I have short and stubby fingers. :lol

I have absolutely no problems with the larger hooks and have crocheted using up to the size P hook.

Please tell me that I am not the only one. :P

Are you going smaller than an H, but not going smaller with your yarn? For example, Red Heart Super Saver or Caron Pouners are on the heavy & stiff side of worsted weight, Caron Simply Soft or Peaches n Cream cotton is what I think of as more average worsted. I might be able to go down to an F on the latter 2, but G is a little tight for the former.

I don't think you need long fingers ;)

Are you going smaller than an H, but not going smaller with your yarn? For example, Red Heart Super Saver or Caron Pouners are on the heavy & stiff side of worsted weight, Caron Simply Soft or Peaches n Cream cotton is what I think of as more average worsted. I might be able to go down to an F on the latter 2, but G is a little tight for the former.

I don't think you need long fingers ;)

Yes, I have tried going smaller with the yarn and I still have problems with it.

I use G and H hooks all the time and like the H hook better. I've use an I hook when I make Christmas stockings though. Anything bigger makes me feel clumsy (I tried double strand with a K hook). I say stick with what works, just check your gauge. I like to make things where gauge is not important.

Ellie 13

No you are not the only one. For years because my stitches seemed to be on the tight side I found I had to use a hook one or two sizes larger than what the pattern called for. For me the J hook size was the most comfortable one. But I am currently making a rectangle granny square afghan and I am using a H hook. I am using "I Love This Yarn" which I have never used before. In the past I have mainly worked with Red Heart yarn either the Classic or Super Saver. I don't know if it is because of the yarn I am using or if my stitches have become less tight. But right now I am working with a H size.

I cannot use hooks smaller than a 3.75 and that one is a challenge. I have arthritis which seems to affect my dexterity more than anything.

I find it exhausting to try to keep tension with fine yarns and hooks. I am currently making some doll socks and it is a 'fits and starts' effort for me. I have to trade off and come back to them later.

It took me years to use anything except a J hook. I finally was able to use down to F, but it took a long time. Anything smaller, and my stitches don't stay even and the hooks feel uncomfortable. It's only over the last couple of years I've been able to work with B to E, and not dislike it a lot.

Going upward in size I found to be much easier, but harder on the hands. Working with ww double strands or super bulky weight is slow going, but I like to use them for rugs and totes, so the bigger hooks have to be used, and the pace is slower.

If your having problems using smaller hooks I recommend Susan Bates bamboo handle ones they are thicker at the base and are comforatble to hold. I find when your use to a thicker base hook because larger size it is hard to go back to smaller and found the bamboo handle hooks solved that for me.

I have crocheted with tiny hooks to Q hooks through the years and only had problems this year with arthritis and bursitis.

I tried the Bates bamboo hooks and they did not work for me because the wood did not cover enough of the hook, SO- my DH took some of my S. Bates aluminum hooks and made wood handles for me out of dowels. He shaped them by rounding all the edges and then stained and shined them. The wood covers stop on the grip of the hook with the size exposed. This gives me more control overall. I also have a 7, 8 and 9 steel hook with these grips and it is now night a painless joy to crochet with them. The other hook that works when I do not ahve any flareups are the Clover large handled hooks for yarn and I also found a few for thread. Nice, but pricier than others. Another big help is to make clay handles out of Fimo baking clay. Works wonders.

:)

I just started making fingerless gloves last night using a small hook. So far I have struggled my way through 10 rows and today my hands are aching and I have a sore spot on one of my fingers. I never realized smaller hooks are so hard and painful to work with.

Archived