What would you do with....

Tissue Roll Toppers?

I've seen those patterns for sale at a popular web site, I've ordered many patterns from that site, but I can't see the purpose of a tissue roll topper.

I can't imagine having to remove the topper every time I went to the bathroom and then placing it back on.

What purpose does a tissue roll topper serve other than to sit there looking pretty and collecting dust?

I like pretty things and love to crochet, but what I crochet for myself has to have some kind of purpose.....some kind of usefulness.

For instance I like the covers for the kleenex boxes......now they would dress up the kleenex box and make them attractive, in my opinion and you can still access the kleenxes. . I haven't made one, but would like to, and intend to make one. I have a pattern or two for those, but if anyone can explain to me the purpose of a tissue roll topper maybe you can change my mind on those??

I use the Tissue Roll Toppers for the 'extra' roll.

I tuck a package of rolls under the sink cabinet and put one under the topper. That way when its needed it can be accessed easily by whoever is in need. When needed... I place a new 'extra' roll under the topper. Keeping the 'extra' covered by a topper is pretty and cleaner.... while keeping the mass under the cabinet out of site. :U

:heart

:mug

I use the Tissue Roll Toppers for the 'extra' roll.

I tuck a package of rolls under the sink cabinet and put one under the topper. That way when its needed it can be accessed easily by whoever is in need. When needed... I place a new 'extra' roll under the topper. Keeping the 'extra' covered by a topper is pretty and cleaner.... while keeping the mass under the cabinet out of site. :U

Well, ok, I see your point but it seems like alot of work.

My bathroom is so small, the throne is right next to the cabinet, so I keep all my "extra" tissue rolls right under the cabinet and they are within reach.

So I guess I just didn't think about maybe larger bathrooms and the location of things being not within reach.

I don't think I'm going to make one, tho.

The kleenex box cover makes more sense to me.

I have my Rose Basket sitting on the top of my toilet. It holds the emergency roll. If (God forbid) we run out no one ever thinks to use the roll under the pretty flower basket. IT's also great for company. If they need a roll they can use that one and not have to go thru my cabinets to find it.

Ok, now I know.....they do have a purpose for some folks.

My bathroom is so small I guess I just never could see a purpose for it.

I see that those of you who use the toppers always have "one" roll in transition. :P

Spare/guest roll cover here too.

Interestingly, I've seen vintage patterns with a hole in the top. You were meant to take the center cardboard out of the roll, feed it from the center thru the hole, and use it as a 'tissue dispenser' for your 'dressing table'. I guess that was for the era when the sink was the bowl set in a table with a pitcher beneath ;)

It's just not my thing either, but honestly I should use them - my 106 year old house does not have closets, the extra rolls are tucked into a nice basket in a cubby and I just noticed one of the cats, now that the weather has turned chilly, has taken to sleeping on the rolls!

To each his own! I've made them for friends that really used them, and thought of making one for myself,even though I can reach the extras from the "throne". they are just pretty, cute, kitchy, and aren't you glad there are crocheted 'somethings' for everyone? :D

To each his own! I've made them for friends that really used them, and thought of making one for myself,even though I can reach the extras from the "throne". they are just pretty, cute, kitchy, and aren't you glad there are crocheted 'somethings' for everyone? :D

Well of course....I never intended to put forth the impression that other people shouldn't make them and use them. :D

I started this thread because I really, innocently and honestly did not know how people used them.

I thought that they would end up being dust catchers or a person would have to take the cover off to get to the tissue and then put it back on. I didn't even think of it containing the "spare" roll.

I'm kind of slow sometimes.

In our house, there's always the extra roll on the back of the toilet tank covered by a pretty pink cover. My husband calls it the toilet paper "Hat".

Our extra rolls are kept way on top of the cabinet and the one (with the hat) on the tank makes it easier when an emergency turns up.

To me, it's pretty and does a useful job. Always ready for an emergency.

:manyheart

Interestingly, I've seen vintage patterns with a hole in the top. You were meant to take the center cardboard out of the roll, feed it from the center thru the hole, and use it as a 'tissue dispenser' for your 'dressing table'. I guess that was for the era when the sink was the bowl set in a table with a pitcher beneath ;)

OMGosh........ I remember my Grandma having a 'tissue dispenser' on her dressing table. Her table was a small table with her hair brush and make up... one little drawer and a mirror... and a matching chair. She had a roll of tissue paper with the carboard center removed tucked in a really pretty crocheted cover. She used the tissue for when she was tending to her make up............... oh the memories!

Ahh, I see, and I can just imagine, my grandmother having something similar on her small bedroom vanity. So then, one might wonder, with thoughts of center dispension(?), when we'll next see someone crocheting such a cozy for their wound 'cakes' of crochet yarn? The possibilities are....almost endless! :lol

For the record, I have a TP-cover on the back of my tank, my first venture into knitting cables...lovely. :D

I have never made one or used one, but I do feel drawn towards the delightful kitch-ness of them. I went so far as to order patterns and some dolls to stand in the middle, but got no further :blush

I tend to make wearables, accessories rather than home decor....oh for the time & energy to do everything.

I love the idea of a hole in the top to pull the tissue through, that could be pretty in the bedroom.

And using it as a yarn caddy/cover, now there's an idea!

Although I think my ultimate favourite is still with the doll in the centre, it seems to hark back to a more traditional era, for me anyway. Okay okay, so I'm plain old fashioned :lol

:h5 There ya go -so practical! I should have known. lol Thanks Boogiedu.

Then it seems, since we're on a roll, that as yarn creations cover TP, so could TP cover yarn::: so, I could almost imagine this TP-cozy (as previously linked) serving as a "keeper of the cake"! :lol

Now that I'm learning more how other people actually use the TP cover I might be changing my mind on the matter.

I like the idea of the TP being dispensed thru a center hole like I like the cover for Kleenex.

Actually I'm thinking of another idea for the crocheted TP cover combined with a wooden holder...similar to a paper towel holder.....a combination thing for the bathroom.

It would be decorative, would dispense and hide the TP all at the same time.

Just an idea to work on.

What i would really like would be to have accessories for the bathroom all matching in a set.

TP cover, kleenex cover, some decorative storage boxes, the door hanger for storage, gee I've got to get to work!

I've got alot of things to make for myself.

They are useful in small powder rooms that have pedestal sinks. The extra roll is easily accessable by guests when needed and kept clean and neat until then.

They are also useful to torture big sisters who warned their little sister against making them! (My sis is getting one for Christmas made just for her!)

My hubby thought they were silly until I explained that they hold the extra roll. Then he said that he'd never remember there was toilet paper under it. 'Can't you make one that looks like a roll of tp?' so I did and it's in his bathroom.

Wouldn't you know when he ran out of paper he forgot there was tp under the tp topper lololol

Wouldn't you know when he ran out of paper he forgot there was tp under the tp topper lololol

:laughroll

Location, location, location! :idea Crocheting a plant-hang TP-hanger to bring that tp-covered extra roll front and center might be the ticket!

I have a tp cover that sits on the back of the tank.

We have a pedestal sink in the bathroom and so have always kept extra rolls in a cupboard built into the wall above the toilet. All of us are fairly tall so usually relegated it to the top shelf-handy until someone shorter like my SIL needs to reach it-she had to use the plunger handle to knock a roll down...oops...LOL

Made sure to keep a tp cover in there after that-and moved the extra rolls to the bottom shelf, too :)

this isn't a tp topper but it is a tp holder.

i made one quite a while back; it's just taken me this long

to find the pattern among all my saves. i somehow saved it

under home decor :shrug:haha it solves the problem of

wonering where the extra tp is.

http://www.crochetnmore.com/toilettissuecoverhanging.htm

That is VERY pretty.

Archived