Did you ever want to quit a project?

My mouth (or typing comments on facebook) gets me in trouble. I commented on facebook about finding a place to stash more yarn. One of my friends commented back stating she would like a scarf for around her neck and she wants it in red white and blue. So I searched for scarf patterns and found a nice one. But it's a pain in the butt to make. It's takeing to long and way too many loose ends to weave in. I really want to give up on this particular scarf and start something else for her in those same colors. Mabey some red white and blue squares joined together to make a scarf.

Oh yeah, last night I promised to make my neice 10, yes I said 10 scarves in 16 days, 15 now!! I got her to agree on skinny scarves and they don't take long to make but I am so tired of this scarf pattern and I only have 3 done. :(

Remember you do this for fun :hook!!! If you want to change, then change - the crochet police won't arrest you (thank heavens else I'd be locked up for life :yes) - if you make something you enjoy you'll have more pleasure in giving it to your friend instead of dreading picking up your hook again :hug

I've been there! When this happens, I simply move on. Sometimes I can use the yarn for another project later but if I can't (motifs) then I get rid of it right away. No point in letting it stay around to make you feel guilty!

I'm doing a project right now that I want to quit...I'm crocheting myself a shawl out of some leftover Patons Classic Wool. When I picked the colors to put together, I did it in the evening under a regular lamp. Recently, I got a load of how it looks in daylight...AHHHH!!! :eek:eek:eek There's no way in he** that I would have picked these colors to put together, had I know how HORRIBLE they were going to look!

Unfortunately, I'm so far into it, that I don't really want to frog it, after all this work. The best I can think to do is to just finish it and use it for around the house, so that no one except me will see it! :lol

I feel your pain! I made a afghan for a daughter about a year ago I could not stand the colors on it. It took me a year to finally finish it. Maybe a little cheering on to get it done and out???

:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer:cheer

Get it done- whip it up- Get it out!

YEAH!

I feel your pain! I made a afghan for a daughter about a year ago I could not stand the colors on it. It took me a year to finally finish it. Maybe a little cheering on to get it done and out???

YEAH!

That's so cute! Thank you...:c9

There is one project I wish I had quit on. I made a jacket for my baby sister, and my 2nd lil sis wanted one too. I had a similar yarn, same weight on label [4], same hook, same pattern, just making a 3X. 1st jacket was a 2X and fit baby sis perfectly. 2nd jacket?? Well, I got sick, was in the hospital, summer came and it was too hot, but I promised 2nd jacket to little sis. Kept doing other things, not really sure why I kept putting it off, but I did (maybe because it's made out of 16 different pieces). I didn't understand what my problem with this jacket was. After all, I had made the same exact jacket before. Well, I finally finished it -- it came out small enough to fit me (SP), except the sleeves are too short!

Ugh..I feel like that right now with 3 different projects. All 3 sat for Months, but I finally picked one back up last week after I finished some marathon baby crochet(2 showers- a week apart). It's that pink camo hoodie from Bernat and I'm mad at it right now lol. I think I've been more focused on just finishing it before my daughter gets too big to wear it, and my gauge is off. Sometimes it's too loose, sometimes too tight. So, last night I pulled an entire sleeve out because it didn't match the arm holes. I counted and re-counted my stitches and they were correct, but it was off by over an inch! When I stretched it to see if I could block it, it had to be stretched too much so I just ripped it out. So now, I'm trying to decide if I want to start the sleeves over, or just pull it all out. I'm no longer excited about the pattern...so..hm.

The other 2 are a prayer shawl for my mother-in-law...I just don't love the colors in the yarn(Homespun) or the stitch, but I'm nearly finished(literally, I have 2 sides of the border to finish, that's it). That one I WILL finish! The other is a stuffed kitty/rabbit/dog that my daughter requested for her birthday. In June lol. It started as a kitty, then after I started it(and started it over and over again..just couldn't get the body right...purple fun fur and purple LB ww) she decided she wanted it to be a rabbit. Now she wants it to be a dog. The body and head and muzzle are done, all I have to do is put some safety eyes on it and make some legs.

But I don't wanna lol.

yup. finished one like that yesterday, finally. making an afghan for my son in law for christmas-brown and cream. BORING! plus, it's a large granny square. I've never been so glad to see the end of a project in my life. also have a hoodie going that just refuses to cooperate, so that's getting frogged and turning into something else. have a baby sweater that is short one sleeve and i ran out of yarn. baby was born last month! almost wish the holidays were over so i could get back to work!

Sometimes when trying to do a good deed for someone either family or friends because we do crochet, and they like what we make and then decide can you make this for me and then what color or size and pattern. At first it is fun then it can be demanding to get it done or pattern is so complicated and colors are really not fun to work with we become frustrated after all crochet is suppose to be fun and relaxing and now we feel like an over wound spring ready to fall apart.

Yes I have been there too.

Sometimes when trying to do a good deed for someone either family or friends because we do crochet, and they like what we make and then decide can you make this for me and then what color or size and pattern. At first it is fun then it can be demanding to get it done or pattern is so complicated and colors are really not fun to work with we become frustrated after all crochet is suppose to be fun and relaxing and now we feel like an over wound spring ready to fall apart.

Yes I have been there too.

:lolYou are so right! It is so much harder to make something for those you love!

I have been designing things to sell (cuz my hubby said I have to start supporting my own yarn habit) and also trying my hand at patterns just because I'd like to see my design in print! When I do this, crochet becomes fun and relaxing again. I see some yarn I love the color, or texture, whatever. I buy it (oh, the thrill of the buy!), and then I play with it. If it becomes something beautiful, great! If not, frog it! Try again, or not if I don't feel like it. I don't have a personal commitment invested in it, and so :yay it makes me happy (and, maybe, some $)

I've decided that I'm not promising handmade gifts anymore. If I make something that turns out to be perfect for someone I know, then I'll give it to them. If not, I'll just buy a gift card!

I feel like quitting this pattern I am currently working on. I am making a christmas tree skirt and for me its just taking too long to complete! So I just started to work on the poinsetta and leaves that I need to make for it and hopefully by the time I finish those I will want to work on it again.

When I get frustrated or annoyed with something I am working on (for whatever reason), I just put it down and do something else. Then when I pick it up again, it is like a new project.

I absolutely refuse to let a pattern get the best of me and win. I have to win!!!!! And I do!!!

LI Roe

Lordy, yes. I just finished a 3D project using sl st through the back loop. Then on the next row doing a hdc through the back loop of the previous sl st. Slows me down too much!

i dont know how many projects i have given up on... i even stopped crocheting for 5 years mainly because i only knew way to do things... granny squares... oh i was so sick of them... but recently i picked my hooks back up and now im doing EVERYTHING and even taught myself how to read patterns! i have realized a break is good just not a very long break LOL

Liese: :lol 5 years is a long time, luckily, :crocheting is not like riding a bike -- you can get right back on without practice!

Dave: I feel your pain! I hate sl st and working in back loops! What a pain in the butt that must have been!:angry On the plus side, it probably kept those axons, dendrons and other "ons" firing???:yes

• 2 years later...

Usually they are free choice and I either set it aside for a time or just abandon it. But a couple of years ago one of our best student workers asked me if instead of the usual going away gift card they get when they graduate and move on, I would make her a lapghan. Since the yarn and CG would be about the same, and I make these things all the time for fun and give them away, which she knew, I told her, "Sure."

She wanted brown and green. One very dark brown, one dark green. The pattern she picked was a pain and really needed three colors, but I said I could make it work. She was adamant - not three colors. Finally I told her ok on the colors, but nix on the pattern, and I just pulled out one of my go-to patterns. I despised every minute of it. Brown is my least favorite color, and green being a favorite didn't help because I wasn't fond of that green. I had to practically flog myself to get it done on time.

One other time I wanted to make an afghan for a Christmas present for a friend who had been very good to me over quite a time, and I made the mistake of asking his wife what his favorite color was. Right. Brown. I bought a lifetime supply of browns trying to find things that matched in both incandescent and natural light, and a pattern I could live with.

Why do all of my friends and acquaintances fixate on BROWN???

Archived