Are these really crochet hooks?

MaryPat

I came across these:

http://www.virtualvillage.com/pair-of-crochet-hooks-needles-with-copper-handle/sku001750-040

They look like crochet hooks almost until you click on the photo that's a closeup of the hook end.

Then they look like some sort of industrial poker.

I've never seen crochet hooks that thick with such a pointy sharp end on them.

:eekI cannot imagine how anyone could crochet with a hook which has such a sharp point.

You would have to use only red wool because blood would show up on any other colour.:lol

As for the handle, there is no way I could crochet comfortably with such a fat and what looks like a heavy handle.

I use the underhand method (like a pencil) which is much kinder to your hands and I can crochet all day and all night without a twinge using that method.

Well, that may be a slight exageration, only half the night, I do sleep.

:thinkIt seems to me that the item is reasonably cheap the the Fedex is expensive.

Well, to each his/her own I suppose.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

:eekI cannot imagine how anyone could crochet with a hook which has such a sharp point.

You would have to use only red wool because blood would show up on any other colour.:lol

As for the handle, there is no way I could crochet comfortably with such a fat and what looks like a heavy handle.

I use the underhand method (like a pencil) which is much kinder to your hands and I can crochet all day and all night without a twinge using that method.

Well, that may be a slight exageration, only half the night, I do sleep.

:thinkIt seems to me that the item is reasonably cheap the the Fedex is expensive.

Well, to each his/her own I suppose.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Thanks for the giggle...I needed that, had kind of a rough day.

I wonder, too, about the "chunky weighted handle." :think

Weight is not what I am looking for in a crochet hook. :hook

I could not use those as I hold my hook like a knitting needle in my right hand....and they do look rather pointed....a tad to much like something from the dentists for my liking! :)

:cheer:cheer:cheerI just had a "Brainwave":cheer:cheer:cheer

Maybe this hook would be suitable for making the first row of an edging on a Polar Fleece blanket.

The point would help getting the hook through the fabric.

:thinkJust an idea.:think

:thinkWhat do you think?:think

Have fun.

Colleen

Maybe they are used when you are crocheting and someone asks what you are knitting and you can poke them better with it. LOL.

LI Roe

They look like something you would use to crochet through the edging on very heavy fabrics or to crochet with leather yarn? Something that would be very heavy to start with. Maybe even for petit punch?

Maybe they are used when you are crocheting and someone asks what you are knitting and you can poke them better with it. LOL.

LI Roe

I WAS JUST THINKING THAT!!! Hahaha.

Sam:hook

:cheer:cheer:cheerI just had a "Brainwave":cheer:cheer:cheer

Maybe this hook would be suitable for making the first row of an edging on a Polar Fleece blanket.

The point would help getting the hook through the fabric.

:thinkJust an idea.:think

:thinkWhat do you think?:think

Have fun.

Colleen

I think you have a great idea.

:think:eek Sure glad I know the difference between :crocheting and :knitso I don't get poked :lol:lol. Doesn't even appear to me that they have a hook on the end, they are just pointed at the end like a knitting needle. IMHO they are similarly shaped like a phillips head screwdriver So I don't really see how they could be used for rug hooking. But what do I know :lol:lol. I have never seen anything like it before.

:think:eek Sure glad I know the difference between :crocheting and :knitso I don't get poked :lol:lol. Doesn't even appear to me that they have a hook on the end, they are just pointed at the end like a knitting needle. IMHO they are similarly shaped like a phillips head screwdriver So I don't really see how they could be used for rug hooking. But what do I know :lol:lol. I have never seen anything like it before.

You can hover over the photos to get closeups. In one of them, you can see an indent like a Bates hook, but a Bates hook certainly doesn't point like that. Even the rug making hooks are rounder at the end.

They look like they would go through fabric but I would never use them they look dangerous to use. Also they look like that they would split any type of yarn when using them.

Reminds me of those egg-shaped wooden things into which are screwed various sizes of hooks (can't remember the name) that were much discussed here a while back. I bought one of those, hated it, and sold it. This is a lot cheaper, except that there are only 2 hooks and the shipping is ridiculous.

I came across these:

http://www.virtualvillage.com/pair-of-crochet-hooks-needles-with-copper-handle/sku001750-040

They look like crochet hooks almost until you click on the photo that's a closeup of the hook end.

Then they look like some sort of industrial poker.

I've never seen crochet hooks that thick with such a pointy sharp end on them.

Since I am an avid crochet hook collector, I had to have one of these for my collection. They are extremely pointed and sharp. You have to be very careful using them to prevent harm.

This company also makes drills and screwdrivers. Looks to me like screwdriver bits for a handle that you can switch parts with. Probably defective ones that someone decided to cut/grind a groove into so it acts like a hook, and the company is trying to sell as a crochet hook, rather than waste them? In the closeup you can see that it really has a head like a narrow flat head screw driver (it is a side view) with a groove to make a hook shape. Definitely not something I would crochet with, way too heavy.

• 4 weeks later...

I've had some folks looking for hooks with long pointy heads for slip-stitch crochet. Possible?

This company is based in Shanghai, China. I highly doubt that these are really used as crochet hooks anywhere. :)

I wonder if this is just one of those cases of translations gone awry.

Archived