Red Heart has an odor...

Sounds like we need to shop for Red Heart the same way we shop for produce: squeeze & smell first! :sneeze

Some one said it smelled "fishy" when it burned. Maybe the store you bought it at got it cheap form a fire sale :think. I haven't bought RHSS lately (Stash Busting CAL), so I don't have any "stinky" :yarn.

Put it in old panty hose, wash it with Woolite in cold water on the gentle cycle. Then put it in the dryer on a cool setting. That worked for dusty yarn I found in mom's attic. Good luck.

Ellie 13

My boyfriend got a good laugh tonight, he couldn't understand why I was smelling my yarn! Hehehe. No stinky smell here, I just picked up some red heart yarn yesterday. Smells like the store to me!

Gosh, now I'm always going to be sniffing my yarn :lol

I've always smelled yarn, the yarn from the michaels here always smells like cinnamon and the yarn from the LYS just smells good. A little fruity maybe.

I don't usually use Super Saver (gives me hives), but I did buy 4 skeins a few months ago right after Red Heart admitted having problems with one of their manufacturers, and said they fixed it. No odors I could detect.

I think alot of times (with store bought yarn), it can be either a problem with the shipping truck or if the store stocks it close to the shipping doors. Fumes can smell fishy or oily when it sits in fabric or yarn. It could have also been returns from someone that were reshelved.

I just bought a bunch during Herrschners sale. No weird smell. I did notice a chemical/oil smell one time with some Caron yarn but nothing recently.

I would expect acrylic yarn prices may end up soaring much higher based on the notice at the Red Heart site. Many acrylic fiber companies have gone bankrupt.

I would expect acrylic yarn prices may end up soaring much higher based on the notice at the Red Heart site. Many acrylic fiber companies have gone bankrupt.

Thanks for pointing me to that article! That explains a lot about the quality of Red Heart (and other acrylic yarn companies) fluctuating so much these days.

I've had some smelly RHSS recently. It reminds me of a chemical smell similar to propane gas. I thought it was just a fluke processing acrylic thing. I used it & washed the item & it smelled fine. But I have to admit, I will smell the heart before I buy it again lol--it was a yucky smell. Thankfully it was only a couple of skeins.

Nothing smelly around here, but people must think I'm crazy!!! :hook

Every time I go to Walmart (few different ones) or any yarn store I make sure to do the "sniff test" even if I'm not buying any. Haven't come across one that smells.

I just made a shawl and the RHSS felt oily to me. No odor, just an oily feeling. Once I finished, I washed it and feels better but not as soft as it used to be.:crocheting

Okay, Red Heart isn't my choice, but it does wear like crazy when made into an afghan. My friend bought enough for an afghan for me to make for her. It not only smells like burning tires, but it actually burns my eyes!!!!!!! I just don't know if I can take it-but have to admit I have a 32-year old afghan out of it, (at least I think that's what it was), and it has been used and frequently washed till this day. Only issue is that the cream color is sort of gray. Anyway, don't be surprised if it burns your eyes.

RH is the only yarn I use. I have never noticed a smell (and I have SUPER MOMMY SMELL! :D) The only time I had a problem was when I left a cardboard box in storage and had a leak (not knowing it) and I molded all my yarn. Please take it back it could have happened at warehouse or store room where you bought it.

• 3 weeks later...

I've also noticed a strange fishy smell with some tan RHSS that I picked up. I think I noticed it with a green color as well. It's rather annoying, and I'm hoping it will go away when it is washed.

I've never had RH that smelled and I use it all the time. Maybe it was in the same truck with the tuna and the tires. If it smells or gives you a rash then use something else. And send off a letter to RH and maybe they will find out what has happened.

I've never really noticed an odor, well not foul. It just smells like a department store to me. I know that sometimes they spray chemicals on clothing and any type of fiber to ward off pests, so that could be what you are smelling.

Archived