September issue of Crochet!

goldi316

Just got home and sorted through my usual pile of catalogs and other junk mail, and lo and behold! I received the September issue of Crochet! today! :woo

I wasted no time flipping through the magazine immediately to see what they had to offer. I had not been too excited about the previous issue, the first time the magazine hadn't given me a sense of excitement over any of it's offerings. This one made up for it! First off, it seems somebody heard our belly-aching, as there are several new advertisers in this magazine (at least I don't recall seeing them in a crochet mag before): Aurora Yarns, Fiber Trends, SWTC (I believe they may have run ads previously, but there are several in this one), Clover, and N.Y. yarns (with some of their yarn featured in at least one pattern - the cover one). I'm not sure, but I think Plymouth has been in previous issues, but I'll include it anyway. I think they're starting to get the message - Crochet is soooo Cool!

Their feature article is on guys who crochet - and of course I immediately had to scan it to see if our Crochet Dude was in it, but alas, he was not. :ohdear However, CD, you can take heart: there are lots of dudes like you out there, you're not alone! :clap

And as for the patterns, well... :c9 If this issue is any indication, ponchos and shawls continue to be strong! :hook We have a lovely Fuschia shawl pattern made from Red Heart Symphony and Foxy; the cover feature, a poncho made from the afore-mentioned N.Y. yarns in wonderful fall colors, and a gorgeous textured wrap that is made from squares (it looks to me like it could double as a lapghan). There's a glitzy dress for a night on the town, a chenille bolero (unfortunately, it's hard to see any detail as they chose to model a black bolero over a black outfit, duh!), a striped throw in bold vibrant colors, some neat pillows and bags, some giftwrap embellishments, a beaded halter, some neat boot-style slippers and a beaded rope-style belt and a real eye-catching scarf! Last but not least (and, quite honestly, I was saving these for last as these are my primary interest, along with the shawls and wraps), are two gorgeous sweaters! Both have neat and interesting textures and (imo) are very high fashion! Both are made from Patons Grace yarn, but I would imagine any sportweight cotton yarn would work (I'm thinking perhaps some of the Knit Picks cotton yarn as one possibility, though the Grace is a lovely yarn. Oh, let me not forget the little bonus that come with a few of the patterns (including one of the sweaters): some curling ribbon flower patterns!

Yup, I suspect this issue will please many! For those with a subscription, if you haven't gotten it already, it should be arriving soon! I'm not sure how much longer it will be before it hits the newstands, but I suspect it won't be long. I've been seeing fall issues of many of the knitting magazines hitting the stands lately too, this can't be too far behind!

I just checked their website, and it is still showing the July issue, not sure how long it will be before they update...

So, there's my long-winded peek, and now you know why I was never very good at writing book reports, lol! :blush

I got mine the other day too and I was just as impressed. I love the magazine anyway but this issue was packed full of good stuff. And yes, lol, even the ads were good. I would definitely wear that Hydrangea Clusters sweater! And the colors of Fall poncho, and the Nightfall dress, and the beaded halter, lol. But my first project from this mag will be the Ruby Wrap. I loved that!

I just got mine today and I'm with you, this one is very good! Lots of cute stuff, I love just about everything in it. This is one to look forward to for sure!

I definitely liked this one a lot better than the previous issue!

Celeste, I think a lot of us have subscriptions and that's why we have them already. I didn't see the issue at JoAnns or Michaels yet.

I got my issue too on Tuesday. I think that the black bolero jacket would be fun to attempt. You are right though, they shouldn't have taken the picture over a black dress. It lost all of the detail of the pattern. Love the green sweater in there as well. I wish I had more time to make everything I want to make! LOL

Definitely an issue I'm holding onto also. Kudos to CROCHET!

:cheer :cheer :cheer :cheer

Where do you get your copies? I haven't seen any at the LYS or at Jo-Ann's, which are basically what's around.

Celeste, I'll keep my eyes open for you. My local grocery tends to have it on the racks but it takes a week or two before they show up. Let me know if you can't find it, I'll be glad to grab a copy for you. :)

Right after reading that the issue was floating around....I got mine!!!!(I'm not sure how to spell the squeal that I made when I got it) You are right, this issue is jammed with great patterns. I already have post-its marking the pages that I want to make. I just need to check off a few of the projects that I have in progress before I can justify getting MORE yarn (gasp) A downfall to an apartment, I don't have that much room.

Celeste, I'll keep my eyes open for you. My local grocery tends to have it on the racks but it takes a week or two before they show up. Let me know if you can't find it, I'll be glad to grab a copy for you. :)

Grocery store!? Wow - definitely not here, let me tell ya! I can't even find crochet mags at the LYS or craft store. Seattle is a knitting community, I think!

You are so sweet! I'll let you know if I can't find it. :hug

Celeste, the ONLY place in my town that I can find Crochet! is my local pharmacy and in only one of their stores. And my local craft stores have no crochet mags at all. Our Borders had a copy of one of the smaller mags (Maybe Annie's Attic) once but I haven't seen one in there since. I just gave up looking and subscribed to a couple. Crochet! is the one I like best.

I have not received my September issue yet :( . I am happy to hear that this one is better than the last :clap Maybe someone over at Crochet is starting to listen to the subscribers! I hope it continues because I was thinking about canceling.

I subscribed months ago...paid my bill and still haven't got my first issue...really makes me mad:angry....I saw the July issue at the newstand and it wasn't that great....think it was the one with all the quadruplets in it....happy to hear this issue is better...but who knows if I will actually get it?

I subscribed months ago...paid my bill and still haven't got my first issue...really makes me mad:angry....I saw the July issue at the newstand and it wasn't that great....think it was the one with all the quadruplets in it....happy to hear this issue is better...but who knows if I will actually get it?

Have you tried to contact them? It may take a little while, but you can send them an email from here. You can also check your subscription status from this same page. If it's been months, then there is likely a problem and they need to be told about it!

If you want faster service, then give them a call during normal working business hours, here's their toll-free number: 800-449-0440 I can attest to the fact that they are very responsive. I had some problems with my subscription initially and received great customer care when I called them. I happened to mention that I had managed to find some back issues in the course of asking about availability of same (and being told they don't have them available). I had managed to collect all but one of the 2004 issues. They sent me that one issue - free! I'm not saying they will do something like this for everybody, but they will go out of their way to see that you are satisfied - but you have to let them know you're having a problem first!

So give 'em a call. Then you will be able to go from :angry to :hook

I got mine today and I am just tickled with all the patterns in it =) :yay

It was quite a surprise too that it came, I'd requested a free issue a while back and when they sent the invoice my dearest darling hubby paid it and never told me! I hadn't been totally impressed with the patterns in the free issue so wasnt going to bother subscribing.... but I am SO glad that hubby went ahead and did =) I can't find crochet mags over here (Army post in Germany) very often so I'm glad to have this even if my first instinct was to pass. Hubby gets major bonus points for this one lol.

I'm loving the sweaters and I think I am going to have to go downtown and see about grabbing up some cotton yarn before it's gone for the year. I've never attempted a sweater before, but these are just too cute to pass up.

I just checked my status on line, and the A/S 2005 is my last issue, so I assume I will be getting the sept issue. I hope so, it sounds good. I don't think I have made anything yet from any of the issues, but they are inspiring.

LOL Goldi! That was like the play-by-play of Crochet! mag. That was so much better (IMO) than watching or listening to any sports game.

I joined the CGOA, but I hear that other are saying it take while to get your first edition.

i recieved mine today .. as much as i would like to say i was impressed.. i cant.. what i can say is .. I was happier with this issue than the last.. this is my last issue of my subscription so I think i will let it lapse and go back to issue by issue because it just doesnt seem worth it to have a magazine in my house that I am not going to use.. i did the same with Crochet Fantasy as well .. especially with the revamp.. very unhappy with that one as well .. last two issues were very disappointing to me..

Just got home and sorted through my usual pile of catalogs and other junk mail, and lo and behold! I received the September issue of Crochet! today! :woo

Their feature article is on guys who crochet - and of course I immediately had to scan it to see if our Crochet Dude was in it, but alas, he was not. :ohdear However, CD, you can take heart: there are lots of dudes like you out there, you're not alone! :clap

I was a bit sad to see that I wasn't included. Oh well, maybe they'll do an entire feature article just on me someday. :rofl

It could happen. :blush

Archived