Man ghan

My fiance wants an afghan in green colors. He doesnt want a granny square or anything with a lot of holes in it. That means probably alot of sc for me. But he needs something manly. Does anyone have any ideas or your favorite pattern?

Martha

This is the absolute all time, best ever manly afghan. It's got Al's name all over it :rofl The link takes you to the first page in the CAL with links to all the finished versions.

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showthread.php?t=42711

I actually have one of these done in two tones of Sage Green. I still have it so will get a pic to show it to you.

OH yeah it is all DC and goes so quickly you won't believe it.

I recently made a nice ripple using brown, tan and blue for a college guy. I used double strands of yarn, so it's really warm and my dd's bf just loved it. He said he uses it every night in his dorm.

And it was a double crochet stitched ripple, so it was very fast and easy. Took about 3 weeks to complete.

:manyheart

You can add me to the long list of lucky recipients. I'm a man and .....

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=681370&postcount=286

this is the one Rose Red made for me and it immediately became a treasured heirloom. Its warmed my weary bones on many a cold night at the cabin up on the crick, and I'm STILL grateful to RoseRed for making me one!

You can add me to the long list of lucky recipients. I'm a man and .....

http://www.crochetville.org/forum/showpost.php?p=681370&postcount=286

this is the one Rose Red made for me and it immediately became a treasured heirloom. Its warmed my weary bones on many a cold night at the cabin up on the crick, and I'm STILL grateful to RoseRed for making me one!

See, even Jiimbo loves the flannelghan. :wlol

It really is just the neatest thing going :yes

At present I am making my DH a surprise ghan as part of his 50th birthday prezzy. It is made of verigated greens and browns (background in sc) with a dark brown puff stitch making up a pattern of a jockey riding a horse with a number 50 on it. Have to do it in secret as I dont want him to see it. But there are no holes etc and it does look 'manly'!

Thanks for all the help ladies. He picked an afghan out that he likes. It is a granny square afghan but it doesnt really "look" like a granny square. But I still will have all the sewing to do. At least the squares are 6 inch AND mostly dc.

Here it is:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1527+Sunrise+Sunset+Afghan.htm

I am currently making the flannel'ghan for my hubby, he is 6' 3" and he loves it already. It is very warm and heavy. LoL He picked the colors red and black but wanted it in a checkerboard pattern, so I am making it like that but doing the strips as in the flannel'ghan. I think it is quite a 'manly' pattern.

Thanks for all the help ladies. He picked an afghan out that he likes. It is a granny square afghan but it doesnt really "look" like a granny square. But I still will have all the sewing to do. At least the squares are 6 inch AND mostly dc.

Here it is:

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/AfghansThrows/LW1527+Sunrise+Sunset+Afghan.htm

VERY good choice, Martha! I really like that square! I don't think I've ever seen it before, either. It's a new one on me.

I also hadn't seen everyone's interpretations of the Flannelghan! Wow! They all turned out beautifully! Thanks, Darski, for posting the link!

I just finished (Today!) an afghan that is quite manly (still have to work in ends, so no photo until tomorrow). It is a free pattern and done in Woolease. It has a wonderful weave pattern. I bought the yarn for it 4-5 years ago, but only started working on it the end of December. The bf and my Dad totally approve of it.

Pattern available at http://www.lionbrand.com and entitled 2 color striped afghan. It's easy. Alternating single crochet and chain.

Martha C,

I really like that look but, golly that looks like a lot of work. How long is it taking you to do a square? I'm doing a fairly simple, 2 color square and it's taking anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour per square.

I like the colors in the picture, too.

Thanks for all the help ladies. He picked an afghan out that he likes.

That's a nice one! I'm sure he'll love that! :cheer

I'm making an afghan for a man right now, and it's fairly simple.

Each row starts with two HDC, then begins with DC, ch1, DC, ch1. The DC goes in the row below it, over the chain one in the row below. It's got a woven look to it. I'm doing two colors, so I do two rows of color A, then switch to B and carry the yarn up the side. I'll stitch over the outside to make a border, and the yarn I carried won't show.

If anybody wants more info on this, just PM me. I'd be glad to help.

I havent actually started making the ghan yet. I am going to my sister's next week and I am saving every penny to go so no yarn shopping for me just yet. But I plan to start when I get back IF I have any money left over. I am sure the squares will take a while but it will be a labor of love. He is worth every stitch and that is the afghan he picked.

That's a nice one! I'm sure he'll love that! :cheer

I'm making an afghan for a man right now, and it's fairly simple.

Each row starts with two HDC, then begins with DC, ch1, DC, ch1. The DC goes in the row below it, over the chain one in the row below. It's got a woven look to it. I'm doing two colors, so I do two rows of color A, then switch to B and carry the yarn up the side. I'll stitch over the outside to make a border, and the yarn I carried won't show.

If anybody wants more info on this, just PM me. I'd be glad to help.

What a good idea to carry the yarn and then crochet over it. I NEVER would have thought of that. I made an afghan for my son and it was stripes and I had 5 gajillion ends to weave in. AND they didnt stay woven in. I am not very good at that.

No holes whatsoever? That is going to be one heavy afghan! LoL I just finished my hubby's, it was all dc with 2 rows of sc for a border and the thing must be about 5 or 6 lbs! LoL

• 2 weeks later...
Martha C,

I really like that look but, golly that looks like a lot of work. How long is it taking you to do a square? I'm doing a fairly simple, 2 color square and it's taking anywhere from 45 minutes to an hour per square.

I like the colors in the picture, too.

It is taking me right at 45 minutes to get a square done. But the pattern was simple to learn and the color changes aren't too bad. I already have 7 squares done and I just started a few days ago. I think it is going fairly quickly.

i too made an afghan for my son a while back. i too used two strands of a variegated yarn of reds, yellow, greens, (i think it was mexicana). simple. i used an J hook and just made dc, slip stitch, dc, sl st, it makes a cool pattern of bumps and close stitches makes for no holes which he didn't want. i had so much fun making it it ended up king size which he loves. i just have to make sure his former girlfriends don't take off with it.

Archived