Any ideas for arthritic hands

Parafin wax baths make my hands feel so much better. You may have to try several different types of hooks to find the ones that are most comfortable for you. I prefer wooden (bamboo especially) because they are lightweight and warm to your hand. Clover soft touch have a shaped handle, and you can buy just one hook to see if you like it before investing in a whole set.

Jimbo hooks...ahh, that's a whole 'nother story. He makes the most amazing hooks by hand and people swear by them.

I'm going to be watching this thread closely!! I recently developed arthritis in my hands and wrists, but the meds that the Dr. wanted to put me on scared me to death...(side effects), so I opted to just go with the pain till I couldn't anymore. I've found that mine is really bad in the morning, , but if I soak my hands in warm water (as warm as I can stand) for 5 mins or so, I can use them enough to pour my coffee, and start my day. Usually by mid-afternoon, I can hold a crochet hook, but they stiffen up and I have to keep massaging them and then can go back to it.A larger handled hook will help quilte a bit. I can't work with thread anymore, but I keep hoping for a bit of a remission.....Keep your hands warm, gentle massage, and keep them busy, if only flexing your fingers. Good luck, and let me know if you find a holistic remedy! If you just want to whine and complain, PM me!!:D

Yes, Jimbo hooks are GREAT!!!

I have a touch of arthritis but not as bad as my mom had. She used to use Aspercream and it kept her going on the hooks. I got my fiance to use it on his back and he says it works. It doesnt have a smell like Ben Gay does and it's not as greasy.

I LOVE HANDEZE brand therapeutic fingerless gloves! There are other brands of similar type gloves out there, but HANDEZE brand are far superior and worth the money-about $15-20 a pair, but you could use a 40% off coupon at Michaels, Joann's, or Hobby Lobby. They are made of a lightweight, stretchy fabric that keeps your hands warm while you crochet or type. (I purchased them initially because I was working as a medical transcriptionist and my hands would hurt so badly after a day of typing)

Also, I LOVE Clover Soft Touch crochet hooks and am able to crochet for longer periods of time and more frequently since I found these hooks.

That's my 2 cents! Hope it helps someone.

:cloverI will also be looking at the suggestions here...I just work throught the pain and stiffness and do what I like to do and have to do...I am afraid of taking the meds, too...the side effects are worse than the pain !!! Thanks for sharing !!! :clover

I LOVE HANDEZE brand therapeutic fingerless gloves! There are other brands of similar type gloves out there, but HANDEZE brand are far superior and worth the money-about $15-20 a pair, but you could use a 40% off coupon at Michaels, Joann's, or Hobby Lobby. They are made of a lightweight, stretchy fabric that keeps your hands warm while you crochet or type. (I purchased them initially because I was working as a medical transcriptionist and my hands would hurt so badly after a day of typing)

Also, I LOVE Clover Soft Touch crochet hooks and am able to crochet for longer periods of time and more frequently since I found these hooks.

That's my 2 cents! Hope it helps someone.

Add my 2 cents to what everkutz said. When my carpal tunnel was so bad, Handeze gloves worked better then anything, and as for Clover Soft touch hooks, they are worth every penny. I just wish they would make them in larger sizes like a K, M, O. I just purchased some of the Clover Soft touch steel hook, I can't wait to start working with thread.

I bought the Susan Bates bamboo handle hooks last year, just because all I had was Boye and wanted to try Susan Bates hooks. I absolutely love those hooks! The handles are chunkier and warmer because of the bamboo. Even if you hold your hook up high, the "fatty" part of your hand should still rest on the bamboo part. About a month ago I thought I would try using a Boye hook on a scarf I was crocheting, and my hand hurt the whole time. I bought some polymer clay to try and chunk up my other hooks, especially my steel hooks. But I haven't had the chance to try that yet.

Definitely agree that warm water "baths" help a lot - sometimes I wash the dishes just to ease up my hands :lol

I used to find the Clover Comfort hooks ideal, but even they are no good for me now and I don't use them at all.

The ONLY hooks I can use are the CrochetLite hooks - the ones that you can switch to make a light come on. I never use the light as it bothers my eyes, but the hook itself is so much chunkier - and longer - than other hooks. I'm really scared if I get to a point I can't even use these anymore, I'll have to take up broomstick crochet!

...as for Clover Soft touch hooks, they are worth every penny. I just wish they would make them in larger sizes like a K, M, O. I just purchased some of the Clover Soft touch steel hook, I can't wait to start working with thread.

I have these hooks in a K, L, and N. I'm not sure if they go any bigger than that. Hope this helps!

Edited to Add: These larger hooks are Clover Reflections, but they still have the chunky handle and soft covering. They are a bit different to the regular Comfort hooks.

Add my 2 cents to what everkutz said. When my carpal tunnel was so bad, Handeze gloves worked better then anything, and as for Clover Soft touch hooks, they are worth every penny. I just wish they would make them in larger sizes like a K, M, O. I just purchased some of the Clover Soft touch steel hook, I can't wait to start working with thread.

I had written a note to the makers of Clover Soft Touch hooks requesting larger sized hooks and they replied saying they were in production and should be in stores soon. Well, that was about a year ago and I haven't seen any hooks larger than a J. :think Maybe I should write another letter?

I take frequent breaks and stop for the day if my wrists get really sore. I found some stitches or patterns that require me to use more tension really hurt--pineapples kill my thumb for some reason.

I also have just a Wal-mart wrist brace thingy I wear at night if my right wrist is sore. By the next morning I'm ready to crochet again. :cheer

There have been some excellant suggestions on this thread and I will employ some of them. What has helped my hand and elbow is from the orthopedic surgeon's recommendations that I go to. He crochets and loves it to relax and forget about his day at the office/ hospital."The larger the hooks handle is, the easier on the joints. Also, it's better not to hold the hook too tight in the hand making it easier on the tendons and joints. Take frequent rests about every 20-30 minutes and move the joint effected for better cirulation." Here's a few links for making your own larger handles on hooks ;):

I have been wanting to put polymer clay handles on my hooks ever since I saw someone doing it on etsy. The youtube video showed me that it wouldn't be that difficult....

Here is my very first attempt

The colors don't show up very well, but the light part is blue and the dark part is purple. I used FIMO soft. Kneading the clay until it was pliable was the hardest part.

Don't be afraid! Let's see some polymer clay on your hooks:yay

I bought my older sister the set that has a large diameter handle with sever interchangeable heads. She has a problem with carpal tunnel, and says that she can crochet much better with the larger handle than with a regular hook. Don't know why that wouldn't help in the case of arthritis as well.

I favor the hooks by Susan Bates that have the bamboo handle and the aluminum hook. They work so well for me that I very seldom get the pains that I had when I used a regular hook.

My gram had arthritis and loved to crochet. She would take her pain pills and then crochet as fast as she could. It somehow took away some pain. Or that's what she claimed, anyway.

:manyheart

I'm new here ...

But maybe I can offer some advice..

I have had RA for 5 years. Wax bath is does work great but the Nature's Comfort Heat Wraps. They go into the microwave and have herbs inside. I've been asking my DH for a microwave in my bedroom so I don't have to make the trip to the kitchen in the middle of the night.I love them and they really do help.

I don't remember the name of my hook but it has a rubber grip on it. I also work the projects with the bigger hooks on bad days that helps too.

My hands hurt a lot also and I did quit crocheting for awhile. Then I found these felt type tubes that you slide your hooks into and that works great. I also prefer the Boye hooks because they are longer. Susan Bates is too short for me to hold.

Archived