Yarn Burn?

Lately I have been crocheting like a mad woman while reading or between all my other school things. On my right thumb and my left pinky I have noticed raw spots. And yesterday when I picked up the hook the yarn fit right into the two groves on my hands. Has anyone else gotten these 'yarn cuts'?

Yes, I have. Sometimes a certain brand of yarn is kinda rough and scratchy and if I'm doing a lot of crocheting it makes my fingers sore and red right where i'm holding the yarn. I could ease up on the tension on the yarn but really, I think it means I need a softer yarn or I should stop trying to get so much crocheting time in. :hook

Yes, I get it most often from using my ball winder because I use the non-winding hand to 'guide' the yarn and feel for knots or weak/thin spots as I go. I've also broken out from using the mostly polyester rug-type yarn. Had to give all mine away cause I was apparently allergic to it and kept getting blisters from it on my hand.

yup, especially on my left index finger, where there is the most yarn stress. Someone here on the 'ville posted a pattern for a crochet thimble, done in thread. I think I've also seen one made of yarn. Sometimes I use a thread one I made from the pattern. I've also used bandaids and moleskin to protect my finger when it got really bad

I have two calouses on my hand, specifically on the outside part of my thumb and on the palm just under my pinkie from holding hooks!!!!

I just fingure it's proof of my addiction. :lol

Mine happened with thread when I was finishing a tablecloth that my mother had started before she passed away. I put a bandaid on and that helped. Of course, it meant changing the bandaid several times before the tablecloth was finished. I also got a rub mark when I made two afghans with Paton's Divine. It is a very course yarn, but was lucky enough to get them finished before a full blown yarn burn set in. Agree, what a price we pay for what we want to finish!! :yarn:yes

i get places on my fingers that are like little pimples they kinda raise then i squeeze and it goes away they are small yarn fibers that get into my fingers when i was making all the round ripples for christmas i had sore spots on my fingers from the yarn going across i know how that is the top of my pointer on my left hand is getting kinda rough LOL

yup, especially on my left index finger, where there is the most yarn stress. Someone here on the 'ville posted a pattern for a crochet thimble, done in thread. I think I've also seen one made of yarn. Sometimes I use a thread one I made from the pattern. I've also used bandaids and moleskin to protect my finger when it got really bad

Seems like we hold the yarn the same way! That's where I get my yarn burn, it gets so rough sometimes I have to smooth the spot with a nail file because it begins to sort of snag the yarn and it won't flow smoothly. Now that the air is dryer I have to remind myself to rub lotion or cream on my hands a couple of times during a crochet session, that really helps but I think I'm going to look for that thimble pattern...

• 2 weeks later...

I get dry, irritated places on my fingers where the yarn "hits" them. But this mostly happens when I use Red Heart Super Saver yarn. I just thought, oh well this is the way it will always be when I crochet. But I found that wasn't so when I used a different brand of yarn. Of course, a little discomfort won't stop me from using RHSS yarn! I love the colors too much :manyheart

In addition to dry hands...

Last night I was working on my panda.. and my fingers started to get all shiny from the rubbing of the yarn and the needle. I defiantly have callouses on my fingers from it as well.

Archived