Yarn vs. thread question

I do most of my crocheting with thread, since doilies are my favorite thing to crochet. However, I do make the occasional yarn project.

It seems that every time I crochet with yarn, my hand hurts!! Usually the side with the ring and little fingers...just gets really sore.

Is this common??

Your hook-holding hand? Maybe you are holding on to the hook too tight. Yarn crochet tends to be looser so tension, while important, isn't absolutely essential save for garments.

Yes, my hook holding hand. I wonder if it could be because the yarn seems to demand more "motion" than the thread?

I have the same problem. I almost dread doing anything in yarn.

I figure it is because I hold my hand slightly different using the larger hooks. Just the thickness of the hooks makes the difference. My basic hold doesn't change and I never do a death grip on my hooks.

I like the smaller thinner steel hooks over the big bulky aluminum hooks used for yarn.

I'm another person who seems to have less hand pain with smaller hooks. And the one yarn that will really make my hand hurt is worsted weight cotton like Peaches and Cream. (the new-ish Creme de la Creme seemed much better to me.) I don't think I change my grip when I change sizes.

If I have pain it's usually my thumb and index finger, wrist too sometimes I think. I use pencil hold. The idea of the larger motions causing the problem has occurred to me too.

Which way do you hold your hook? Do you use your ring and little finger on the hook?

I hold my hook like a knife and prefer to use bigger hooks because they fit in my hand better. So for me, yarn is better, but I do like working with thread, too. I have noticed that thicker yarns are harder to work with and sometimes make my hand hurt. Maybe the difference for some of us is how much work we have to do to work with the yarn and thicker and less flexible yarns like Peaches and Cream hurt more to work with.

I can completely see how switching from using such a small fine tool, to using a bigger hook would cause ya problems. The same would probably happen if I started to hold my hooks like a pencil (I can't write with a pencil for very long at all) .

I have noticed that thicker yarns are harder to work with and sometimes make my hand hurt. Maybe the difference for some of us is how much work we have to do to work with the yarn and thicker and less flexible yarns like Peaches and Cream hurt more to work with.

I always feel like I am fighting with Peaches and Creme. It's OK for small items like a dishcloth, but that's about my limit with it. It just seems to resist being drawn through the loops.

I think it is the actual hook for me since if I try one of the hooks with a larger handle and the smaller tip for thread my hand still gets to aching.

I was given a hook with a bamboo handle, i think it's a G, and that darn handle just gets in my way!

I do all types of crochet, have carpo and arthritis in hands. The biggest hook I have used so far is an N. The smallest is a 14. I prefer using small to medium (size 7 steel up to an I in aluminum). But that is just preference, and not based on pain levels.

I have discovered more pain in my shoulders and neck with larger hooks, that I believe is caused by the weight of the yarn and large projects done with these hooks. That is why I crochet at my desk, to keep the weight off of my hands and wrists. However you still need to lift and turn the project for odd numbered rows. May be the cause of the shoulder pain?

I think this is a very person oriented problem. Some will have problems with the hook size and others the yarn itself. Thread is my favorite to work with followed by the ww cotton. I really try to avoid anything in other yarns, I find it very difficult to work with.

I do find that if I do alot with the ww cotton my wrist and forearm will begin to ache. In my case I think it is the greater motion needed when working the hook. With thread, I find it is a smaller motion and with the cotton a much larger one. The other thing I have noticed is that thread seems to slide much easier than the cotton. The cotton is a rougher yarn and it takes a bit more force to crochet with it.

These are just my observations with the way I crochet. I don't know if anyone else would agree. I know what works for me and what will make me uncomfortable so I try to switch off what I am working with so I don't get sore. :)

TLOL,

Toni

I use the knife hold. And I am glad to see that I'm not the only one with this problem! I was working on a sweater for one of my dogs, and my hand got so sore!! Sad part is, I've got two MORE dogs to make sweaters for, and an afghan I want to make for my dd's college graduation....

I use the pencil hold and I find the larger the hook, the tighter I hold my hook. I am afraid of it falling out.

This also causes my hands to hurt more. Anything over a G is to big for me, feels like a tree trunk.

This could be your reason. You are holding your hook to tight.:hook

I don't have a problem switching back and forth, although I have a strong preference for natural fibers (wool, cotton). And I just started an afghan in acrylic. :(
I made an afghan for my daughter in acrylic because she was 4 at the time. Never Ever Again. I think every type of yarn has its place, but i gues that brand it is just not what i wanted it to be. She loves it, but i know better and it kills me. kinda scratchy to me.

I don't have a problem switching back and forth between thread and yarn and I hold my hooks like a pencil. I did not enjoy working with a 10 mm. hook very much and I wouldn't go any bigger even with a knife hold (which I've tried), thankfully here in S. FL there isn't anything I'd ever be tempted to make that would require such large hooks.

The only time my wrists ached regularly was when I used plarn with an "I" hook to make a matt for one of our cats (so I'm guessing thick/stiff and/or rough fibers could be a problem too). But despite not having enjoyed the experience, I wish I could remake it in an oval shape, the squarish rectangle I made has curled in the corners and now he lies on it less but when I looked for the end I just couldn't find it!

I think it is the actual hook for me since if I try one of the hooks with a larger handle and the smaller tip for thread my hand still gets to aching.

So what you really need is for someone to invent a large headed hook with a steel thickness handle :think:) (Not that we want you too distracted from your work with thread :manyheart...)

I actually have the opposite problem. I usually work with yarn, and when I work with thread both my hands hurt. I could be a simple "muscle memory" issue. When you do mundane tasks, things you do every day, your body is used to them, but when you do something new, the muscles need to get used to the new motion. I read here that people who use both regularly have no problem, and those who use one more than the other hurt when switching.

There is only one solution... MORE CROCHETING!!! :-)

Archived