Baby doll crocheting anyone doing? I see its popular

I see these new things, well new to me, lol, called reborn dolls, WOW they are going for BIG HUGE DOLLARS at ebay..well, I have saved ALL my dolls from childhood, and thought hey, why not make a couple of my babies dresses?? I do have a ONE from germany that IS life sized and looks like a baby, and isn't reborn, SO, I thought to myself, self, why not make her pertty and display her....THUS I was wondering if anyone from the Ville here is into this baby thing.????

Hugs and Hooks

JoAnn

I really like some of these dolls. I started off with it as a means of displaying my knit/crochet clothes but kind of fell in love with the dolls along the way!

The first time I saw the reborns on ebay they spooked me a bit, especially the "sleeping" ones, but the more I looked... the more I liked. And they've been brilliant for helping me size clothes for real babies, especially the preemie stuff I make for charity.

Go ahead and make your dolly some clothes - it's fun!

clickable photos

th_girls1.jpg

th_J11.jpg

th_sherbet3.jpg

th_firstouting1.jpg

I like making baby doll items too. I try to find a nice and easy pattern and whip it up for a little girl I know.

At Christmas, I made a whole dolly set for my brother's gf's daughter. I made a red dress with a white ruffle, a red and white bonnet, booties and a pair of panties under it.

I have also made dolls for the county fair. My first one that I ever made landed me a First Prize, Best of Show.

They are just fun to make.

:manyheart

tampa doll makes dolls all the time - and now she has me doing it. its one of my favorite things to make!!!! there are plenty of patterns out there - go for it, try it. you might just get hooked! HA!

Wow Laura and Crystal, your dolls and clothes are BEAUTIFUL!!!! I AM going to work on a doll outfit then! My baby isn't a reborn, like I said it is a plain doll, but she does look realish as she was made in germany, 45 years ago, and it is amazing. SO I will work on making her an outfit and see how it goes, I might as well display her. I havent the big bucks to spend on them reborn dolls, and I have mine anyways, so there I go. If my hubby can display all his NASCAR stuff, I can put my babies out. I have a couple in a curio cabinet, as they are pretty, and old, to protect them, one her face is all cracked, the paint, so she has to stay put.

thanks gals.

Hugs

JoAnn

I really think it doesn't matter what sort of doll you have JoAnn, all that matters is if you like it. I'm sure she'll look great in an outfit you've made yourself, and you'll feel proud. It's really nice seeing baby clothes displayed in a "3 dimensional way" instead of just laying flat. Have fun - and don't forget to show us the results!

• 2 weeks later...

I love dressing dolls of all sizes. The smallest I have dressed are about 1-1/2" long. they are babies on their tummies. I do them in crochet thread dresses with panties. However, I dress dolls of all sizes. I used to do it for our local toys for tots, but they haven't needed any help in a long time. I create each outfit for that doll. I seldom write down my patterns, but I do have two dresses with booties that I have designed and written. I also have two pair of doll booties for the smaller dolls. Each bootie is about 1 inch in length. I have plain booties and some tiny tennis shoes. If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me and I'll share them for free.

of course if the doll is a life sized one, you could use and/or adapt real baby clothes.

Hi JoAnn:

Well sweetie I must admit that after seeing your 22" baby all dressed up you know you got me having one and well Now i can;t hardly wait to dress her up..

I do however have a Baby tumbelina doll which is only 9" long and when you pull her string in the back she wiggles like a baby ..

I had one of thee over 40 years ago when i was child and lost it in a fire and well this past christmas my sister bought me one from ebay...

Its in tact i'm right now making her a outfit from a pattern i bought on ebay...

I also got a regurlar store bought doll its one of them like a real baby when they first came out they used to say mama and giggle well its in my other home packed up but as soon as spring breaks I will go and get my baby .

So since i never had children this will be my baby... Baby tumbelina is too tiny for store clothes unless I have to them pay big bucks i dont got..

So i might as well crochet her some...

So my dear you keep on crocheting and dressing up your babies...

Laura and and the others your outfits looks devine on your babies...

Maybe some of you ladies can tell us where you bought your dolls... I love them reborn but only the really pretty expresions ... I dont like the spooky looking one..

hugs

Lillibet

I have this one, that I got at Costco one year and I made a Christening dress for it that is for a real baby.

th_ChristmasBaby001.jpg(clickable)

It fit her perfect. Sometimes you can use patterns for real Children.

Laura and Crystal the outfits are just beautiful. Laura, I would of thought they were real, not dolls.

Hi TampaDoll:

that is the about same doll I got I love the christening outfit you made for her...

Great job..

Yes I too would used real babies clothes crochet patterns...

hugs

Lillibet

Thank you Lillibet and Mary Jo (OMG I do so love American names!)

MaryJo, your christening outfit is stunning. I love the way you've displayed your baby doll :manyheart

I have found a reborn artist who I really trust and the twins in my first post were created by her. The seller name on ebay is "teslington". I love talking dollies, so feel free to pm me anyone.

I got my doll from e-bay, NOT a reborn doll, just a Berinjer (SP) doll 22 inches, she wears newborn clothes, I posted her first dress in the childrens section and will add it here, I am now on my third dress, I used Shiffio's patterns, she has nice ones.

th_002-2.jpg

Oh by the way, I STOLE the idea from MaryJo TampaDoll, cause I kept seeing that doll in her pics...lol....made me jelous... I LOVE you MaryJo, and hope your not made at me for stealing your thing...hugs!!

Dont worry Jobug I dont think Tampadoll will be jeouslous...

Iyou got the idea from her and I got it from you so maybe we will start a new phase of ladies dressing up dolls....

hugs

Lillibet

The Berenguer dolls are hugely popular and there's so many adorable expressions to choose from.

JoBug, your THIRD dress? Wow, your hook must fly! Hope you're posting pics?

I love dolls generally and I am so loving these clothes but I have to tell you that sleeping dolls always look dead to me ... Major creep out :eek and they never ever wake up... (((shudder)))

I would love to be able to make these items for dolls but the yarn and fine hooks just don't work and play well with my hands. :sigh

Excellent work all. Love looking at this stuff

Your dolls are adorable. :c9 I love dolls and get strange looks and comments from my family because I love dolls. :lol I was disappointed when my daughter didn't really play with baby dolls so the clothes I made for them weren't used. Now I have my own dolls. :) But I have only made a dress for one of them. Your pictures are motivating me to make some outfits for the others. :hook

I think it is so cool that you like what I do, that you want to do it too.

I love all the cloths. Darski I have been saving up your patterns for some dolls I have.

I have never grown up. I have always loved dolls.:hook

I too have never grown up. I am 40 years old and still love the dolls. I just had someone PM me to ask about pictures. Unfortunately I have no pictures because I am blind. I know that I should still get pictures taken, I just don't think about it!

I mentioned earlier that I like dressing dolls for charity. I often have picked up a doll and decided on the color and design of an outfit only to rip it out over and over agian. I will then hold the doll and ask what it wants. Usually a different outfit and different colors come to mind and within a very short time I have it done! My mother is now making beautiful rag dolls and she finds the same thing happening. A doll comes into her mind with it's name, hair color and eye color and she makes it. I guess it runs in the family!

I have rescued many doll at thrift stores and yard sales. I too have a 20" doll, just a cheapy, but one arm is tearing away from the plastic of ther arm. She was destined for the garbe. I brought her home and washed her and she is clothed in a store bought outfit that is too big! I need to take time to make her something. Anyway, I made the Bitty Baby bassinnet years ago and it turned out really big, big enough for her to fit in! So she has been rescued, cleaned and soon to be nicely dressed in her own bed!

I am a mother of two, and have never outgrown my baby doll from childhood! I have the idea in my head to make her a gorgeous gown out of thread...but that's going to have to wait for a while. :) I still have some of her outfits from when I was younger. I'm glad DD has baby dolls--I've made lots of sport-weight yarn clothes for them. :yay

The other day I was recalling a tiny brown doll I had as a little girl...probably a 10" size. Full plastic body. It had one outfit, but that is in tatters...if I ever get home, I wonder if I can reclaim that baby and dress it up and keep her with me. :D

(I'd love a reborn myself, but uh...price prohibitive? :lol)

Archived