Which crochet "hurdles" have you conquered recently?

Or in the past year?

At the close of the year I felt great satisfaction to have achieved all or most of my crochet goals and to realize that I'd crocheted about 70 things or more (nothing large, of course) despite my not being very fast and frogging A LOT.

Some of you have probably seen me write over and over that I got back to crochet last March and only remembered the basic stuff, so when I saw all the wonderful things others were making I was chagrined thinking of all the time I'd lost during my LONG recess and I endeavoured to catch up ASAP. I had faith that I could because except for the chain which my mother taught me as a child, I learned to crochet on my own with the help of a book, and I'm happy to say that not only I did but have moved on to "another level" after conquering several hurdles. I even had to relearn how to read patterns (and in the process learned how to read symbols too). At first I just chose very easy stuff, moving on each time to something a little more challenging.

Here are some of the things I wanted to accomplish and have:

1. Learn or relearn how to change colors and attach new yarn.

2. Relearn common decorative stitches (shells, bobbles, clusters, popcorn, etc.).

3. Learn fpdc and bpdc and other new stitches.

4. Make a hat, somewhat of a mental hurdle (have made 10 or more and my own pattern).

5. Work with thread again (have made plenty of bookmarks, a soap holder, facial scrub pads and most of a doily).

6. Make a shawl (have made 3. have two others started, and also made a cape).

7. Learn how to make towel toppers (lost count of how many I've made..)

8. Make afghan squares (RAOK'd several to someone here).

9. Relearn how to make a flower.

10. Design something (have 2 little patterns posted here and came up with my own leaves).

11. Make a 2-panel poncho (this was a biggie 'cause I couldn't grasp the concept...).

12. Use 2 yarns together (thought it was hard but now have used "novelty" yarns with thread too).

12. Make an amigurumi (another biggie for me).

13. Make mittens (last week I found a pattern with a video-tutorial and I've completed one, minus the ribbing, it felt really great to find out "the secret" to the tumb).

14. Make an item of clothing. (Not finished but I've done 1 1/2 pieces of a child's cardigan).

15. Learn ribbing. I'd seen the one crocheted separately, done horizontally on the back loops and then sewn onto the main piece and thought it was a bit of a drag, but fortunately the above child's cardigan uses the kind with fpdc/bpdc which I'd already learned :tup and last night I did the ribbing on the back panel, and although the instructions were wrong I figured them out and it came out great.

I also made something with plarn, began teaching a couple of people when I went to the Dominican Republic and solved forever our long-standing problem of misplacing the TV remote by crocheting it a red cover that can be spotted a mile away. :wink).

So in view of all that I've accomplished in 9 months I have to admit I'm feeling very proud of myself. :hook I'm not writing this just to "brag", I really want this to serve as encouragement to beginners and to others who like me have recently returned to crochet and may be scared of trying something new. My advice: do it! Most things are really easier than we think and with a little perseverance even the more challenging ones can be done.

I've been crocheting since I was a little girl but I realised since joining C'Ville that I was a lot more adventurous when I was really young. I crocheted a beret with puff stitches when I was 11 - a pattern I would take a deep breath before doing now. Basically in the last year I have experimented a lot more and I have got better at reading patterns. No, I lie: I've developed more patience when it comes to reading patterns.

Yesterday evening I decided to start the pussycat throw afghan for my MIL's birthday. I did the foundation row and realised it couldn't be right. Frogged it. Started again. Frogged it. Started again. Frogged it. Figured it out, did the first two rows, realised my cats were paw-less. Frogged it. Started again. Got to the 4th row, suspected there was a mistake in the pattern - checked out C'Ville (where else?), had suspicion confirmed, frogged a bit, re-did row.

DH walked through the room a couple of times and each time he did, I held up my strip of crocheted afghan and said "Do you see cats?" ("No." Then, "Hmmm, a little bit. If I squint my eyes." Then, "Well, kind of...") After about an hour of trying, he finally saw cats ("Houston, we have kittens!"). Now I've 8 rows of kitties and I'm terribly proud of myself. The thing is, it's such an easy pattern once you get the hang of it and the result is so pretty that even my DH voluntarily admired it (i.e. normally I say "What do you think?" and he gives me his honest opinion - the Germans don't mince words - but this one he actually picked up and said "That's really nice!") So I'm quite chuffed this morning - I overcame my latest hurdle!

Some of the things in the past that I managed to put my mind to were

-reading patterns (figured out how to do that when I was having to reteach myself. Also learned at the time that you need more than one hook)

-the tunsian stitch (I'm acutally making a scarf out of the tunsian knit stitch now. It's so easy I can't believe I put it off this long)

-Thread crochet (now, I never finished the doily and ended up frogging it but I DID it and know that it can be done again!)

-fp and bc stitches

-cable (managed to get those two knocked out with the same pattern and now I :heart cables very very much!)

Some of the things I really want to accomplish now are:

-intricate patterns. I know I have the knowledge to pull them off, but I always back away when I see them even when I want to make them so badly.

-some of the fancier stitches, like lace

-wearables. Have yet to try my hand at these at all.

-crocheting for charity. I know this one isn't very hard but I have yet to do it and it's something I really want to accomplish.

-graphs. They look so amazing I jsut have to do one.

-filet crochet. I would love to make a name doily or a table runner

In the last month or so I've learned:

- How to crochet in the round

- half-double, double, and triple crochet stitches

- how to make a scallop

- how to change colors

- how to make a granny square

- how to read more complex patterns

- how to make several kinds of flowers

- how to write a basic pattern

This year I'd like to learn how to:

- make ribbing

- make cables

- design complex amis

- write better patterns

- make bags

Well my only goal for last year was to learn how to do crochet cables and I did not do it. But I will this year. I even have a book that will help me. I did do squares that I never did before, and used more than one yarn at once attached. Those in itself for me was a accomplishment.

Oh My Goodness, :eek so much has gone on this past year or so in my crochet life. I refreshed myself on doing tapestry crochet and bruges crochet. Did thread crochet doilies for the first time in years. Crocheted one sock, :lol, (got to get past that one sock syndrome).

Learned stitches I never heard of before (extended dc, reverse sc, and herringbone hdc, to name a few). Started reading up on doing bead crochet (used to complete project first and then sew on beads). Learned to do a Russian Join, Weavers Knot and Pillowghan. Also used N hook for first time :hook making a double strand Afghan, with Magic Balls :yarn:yarn:yarn (something else new to me). I've been made more aware of the numerous needy people and charities that use my creations, and given away more than I have before.

I joined a guild and made more friends both :compute online and off. :hug

But the thing I am proudest of is making adult wearables that are wearable, :wink. I had always made baby items, but the thought of attempting an adult sweater or top terrified me. I always worried about winding up with sleeves different lengths or necks too small, sides that didn't match up and a million other excuses to not do it, but now I love doing them.

Last but certainly not least is taking readable notes so I can write patterns for my original designs, :pencil instead of the scribbled writing and sketches that would have taken a team of code breakers to figure out :? . Oh, one more thing, taking pictures :gallery of my finished projects for a scrap book. Something I never did before. I still have to stop myself from giving away, wrapping or shipping things before pic is taken, but I am getting better at it.

I enjoyed reading all of your replies, thank you for sharing!

Miss Crochet:

I couldn't help but chuckle when I read your story, you kind of remind me of myself, when it comes to crochet I can be pretty "determined". I think you have every reason to feel proud since you stuck it out through all the disappointments. I copied that pattern so I'm interested in knowing what/where the corrections are, where can I find the thread that you speak of?

RoseRed:

Those pillows left me speechless, great job!!! I met my children's dad while he was in the marines so I still smile when I see the USMC insignia.

I see that except for Cliffnote (don't feel bad, you probably didn't need those cables and know much more than I did) everyone else has overcome some of their hurdles so let's all celebrate :party:coffee:2rock.

I had hoped to try filet last year, but then I wanted to do it "all", so I moved it on for this year and feel pretty happy with what I did do. Now that I feel I can make a variety of things like I wanted I can be a bit more relaxed in my goals and while I haven't put some "on paper" yet they've been there since early last year but I feel some are a little ambitious and I have to wait until I'm more advanced to try them out. Anyway, the year is very young and who knows!

Since I have been crocheting less than a year, I am proud of all that I have learned. I taught myself to crochet and learned the basics online. I learned granny squares, sc, hdc,dc,tr,increases and decreases I have started thread (two doilys are half done) made blankets, handwarmers, a few bookmarks. I am most proud of learning to read a pattern and making my first hat last night. It was actually my first commisioned item...

I think i am going to hone my skills before moving on to filet. I did just buy my first afghan hook on saturday though :D

I am so glad i became a member here I get so much out of this place.:manyheart

Yarnluver:

I started with another but switched to this one because it was written more clearly:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/kitsinrow.html

Basically there should be FOUR rows in the same colour per 'Kitty'. In other words, you have a row with a shell (2dc, 1ch, 2dc) + a cluster (a long stitch that goes into the second row below the one you're working on) + a shell. Following this, there are three rows with no clusters, only shells.

In other words, in this pattern YOU HAVE TO REPEAT ROW FOUR!

Row 1 - Foundation row, colour A

Row 2 - row with shells, colour A

Row 3 - row with shells and clusters, colour B (kitty's 'body' and 'paws')

Row 4 - row with shells, (kitty's 'head') colour B

row 5 - repeat row 4, colour B (to make the 'ears')

After that you continue with what the pattern calls row 5 - basically you repeat rows 1-4 + row 4 again, till your blanket is the correct length.

It's a fantastic pattern because once you get beyond the initial rows, you can do it without looking at it: your fingers find the shells and the crocheting is done quickly.

Hope that makes sense!

BTW, the thread I found so useful - with lots of nice pics! - was the PUssycat Throw CAL in the CAL thread.

tonyal:

Congratulations on your progress! You sound like me, I learned crochet from a book and last year I relearned what I'd forgotten plus quite a few new things with the help of the internet and more books.

Miss Crochet:

Thank you! I'll have to dig out my copy and check it to see where these corrections belong, since I wasn't trying to make it yet (but someday I'd like to make it for my daughter) I had no idea where things would start to go wrong.

Miss Crochet:

Thank you! I'll have to dig out my copy and check it to see where these corrections belong, since I wasn't trying to make it yet (but someday I'd like to make it for my daughter) I had no idea where things would start to go wrong.

Hi Yarnluver,

Copy my post into the bottom of your pattern. When you go to make it, it'll make sense :lol

Crocheting is like breathing for me, and three weeks ago I broke my left arm (at least I'm right handed). So, my accomplishment is to continue crocheting with my left arm in a cast...its amazing how much is done with the left hand when crocheting, even though I hold the hook in my right hand :-)

So far, I've made three dish clothes and one little thread pantaloon for some dolls I had in the works before the break. I'm thinking of it as therapy!

Beth

Good question.

FPDC and BPDC. Didn't quite get the hang of the stich. Made something else.

Just tried again with another pattern and was able to do FPDC, FPTC, BPDC, and BPTC.

If I can't do somthing then I try a different yarn or a different pattern. I like challenges and with crocheting there is always something else to try! :eek

Hi Yarnluver,

Copy my post into the bottom of your pattern. When you go to make it, it'll make sense :lol

That was a good idea but I saved it as a pdf so I just copied into a blank document titled "Corrections to Pick of The Litter".

Beth:

Sorry to hear about your arm, be careful and don't overuse your broken arm. I am right-handed and once broke it and had to have surgery to put in plates twice so I know what it's like (though not for crochet, at the time I wasn't doing it).

Julia from NorCal:

I remember I was intimidated by those stitches but once I "got it" I loved them, they open up a whole new world of possibilities, I've made basketweave squares, diamonds (over sc) and now I'm doing ribbing on a child's sweater and it looks great!

Yarnluver:

I started with another but switched to this one because it was written more clearly:

http://www.bevscountrycottage.com/kitsinrow.html

Basically there should be FOUR rows in the same colour per 'Kitty'. In other words, you have a row with a shell (2dc, 1ch, 2dc) + a cluster (a long stitch that goes into the second row below the one you're working on) + a shell. Following this, there are three rows with no clusters, only shells.

In other words, in this pattern YOU HAVE TO REPEAT ROW FOUR!

Row 1 - Foundation row, colour A

Row 2 - row with shells, colour A

Row 3 - row with shells and clusters, colour B (kitty's 'body' and 'paws')

Row 4 - row with shells, (kitty's 'head') colour B

row 5 - repeat row 4, colour B (to make the 'ears')

After that you continue with what the pattern calls row 5 - basically you repeat rows 3 + 4 + row 4 again, till your blanket is the correct length.

I'm such a doofus - this is a correction to my correction. Grrr. :(

I've only been crocheting for a few weeks, but so far I am comfortable doing SC, DC, and ribbing. These were big accomplishments for me, because the first few times I tried to teach myself crochet, I simply could not figure out where to insert the hook or the concept of turning chains. Now that I've been doing it for a few weeks, it's becoming second nature. :yes

Granny squares are my next goal. :think

Let's see...

In making my holiday ornaments, I conquered my nervousness about crocheting with thread (and it turned out to be easy! Why did I have myself so worked up over it?! LOL) and I also really improved my skills in crocheting in the round. I still sometimes join the round in the wrong spot, but it happens so much less frequently now! And I can usually catch it and fix it right away (instead of several rounds later...).

I also made my own pattern for the first time. I don't know how much of a hurdle that was, as it just sort of happened. :D I'd been modifying patterns as needed for a while so making my own from scratch was a pretty smooth transition for me.

Within the last year I made granny squares for the first time, worked with two yarns held together for the first time, and made an afghan that needed to be sewn together for the first time. Oh! And I added beads to my crocheted projects too.

Now that I write it all out, I guess I accomplished a lot of new things this past year! :)

Archived