Has a Crochet Pattern ever got you frustrated?

Have you ever gotten frustrated with a pattern that it makes you so mad I know I am because I'm trying to make a dog sweater and the more I read the pattern I become frustrated I know that I shouldn't because I'm not even at row 66 yet but it's frustrating because I'm hoping I get it right and really don't want to change yarns because it frustrates me very much

The one I am working on now and my frustration starts on the 2nd row and even though I am on the 8th row. It bothers me horrible that I might not be understanding it. But I just keep going. ugh

Plenty. I've even had that issue with a couple Priscilla Hewett patterns!!!!! Of course, with the Priscilla Hewett patterns, I've picked them up since, starting from scratch, and had no problems whatsoever. Sometimes a pattern is written poorly, has errors, or uses a technique that we aren't familiar with and it takes a while to get if you get it at all. I know there have been posts in the crochet help section where no one was able to figure it out and the designer wasn't willing to help, so they just had to give it up and find another pattern.

What is frustrating you about row 66?

ME TOO!!!! I am also trying to make a dog sweater and what frustrates me is that they don't give you a diagram of what the piece is supposed to look like as you go along. I don't know if I am doing it right our not and I don't have the dog here that I am making it for. I wish patterns would be more visually diagram friendly!! :hook

Yes I tryed to make a pair of bed room slippers and kept coming out with extra sts also the large pinwheel shawl I have the three sections made but can not get them put toghter one day maybe

my problem comes after row 66 because it says NECK: Fold piece with Row 1 by Row 66 and join with a sl st on the first st on Row 1. Granted I'm not to that point yet normally I wouldn't have made this dog sweater until I was better at it but my fiance told his mom I would make the dog a sweater and with a new project like this it can be frustrating though I'll keep pressing on I'm sure I'll be doing another project to help me out

I'm making the legs now and not sure how they are working out. I also don't have the same gauge that they do, but it fits in inches to the dogs measurments. Anyway, I am going to keep on with it until the dog comes to visit and see if I have something usuable. It doesn't have a time limit to finish.

Oh yes! That has happened to me NUMEROUS times! If it's something that I really, REALLY want to make, I will frog it two or three times and start over, but if it's something I was just trying out because it looked interesting, I throw in the towel and let it go. OCCASIONALLY, I will pick it up again a couple of months later just to try it again, because with my neurological problems, there ARE times when I just can't figure things out, no matter how I try, and if I go back to them a while later with a clear head I can work through them without a hitch.

ME TOO!!!! I am also trying to make a dog sweater and what frustrates me is that they don't give you a diagram of what the piece is supposed to look like as you go along. I don't know if I am doing it right our not and I don't have the dog here that I am making it for. I wish patterns would be more visually diagram friendly!! :hook

That happened to me too with a free pattern from bernat. UGH! I gave up and ended up making me friend an afghan instead of a dog sweater.

It may be too late by the time any of you checks this, but the current free pattern at Annie's Attic http://www.anniesattic.com/free_pattern_day/index.html is a dog coat and it has a diagram - it is called the "Holiday Walk Dog Coat" from "'Tis the Season to Crochet" if it is gone by the time you check here, you can search to see if it is available elsewhere...

I'm not going to lie... absolutely, I've been incredibly frustrated.. especially with free patterns on the internet. They've often not been tested and sometimes they are written very poorly or worded incorrectly. I know that sounds ungrateful of me, but it is the truth. I am sure there have been a few patterns of mine that have given people trouble and I really apologize if they have. :eek I am here if anyone needs help though. LOL It's just sometimes there is no way to get a hold of the original designer to ask questions. :ohdear

What I've gotten most frustrated about in the past is when I've bought books [not cheap] and have had the patterns not come together properly. I was so angry when I had spent some big bucks to buy a book for a baby layette. Looked easy enough, until I started doing it. I finally got it, but made major personal changes to be able to figure it all out.

Just a few weeks ago I went through that with a Drops pattern, I think it had translation mistakes, and I had to give up after 10-11 rows. And it happened with two shawls I've made but I eventually figured them out.

thepunkrockchick:

Regretfully, I agree with you. I really appreciate the generosity of everyone who puts their patterns out there but I've encountered a few that I'm sure either had something missing or did not keep in mind that everyone is not at an advanced level to be able to figure some things out without due explanation.

There's a bootie pattern in a magazine that I have tried several times and just can't figure it out. I'm wondering if there's an error in it and that's why I can't do it. Booties give me trouble anyway.

So I know what you are going through. Keep trying. Maybe bring the pattern to someone who knows crochet and they may be able to help you.

Good luck.

:manyheart

:(:(:yes:yes:yes I must admit, that yes I too have had the same trouble you are having. In fact, just this past week I printed a lovely pattern, or so I thought, but when I started working it up, it would not no matter how hard I tried come out right :angry:angry . I got so frustrated that the pattern went to file 13 :lol:lol. I have a couple of dear friends from the ville who I normally bombard with ???? when I get stuck LOL. In fact just a few weeks ago I was trying to start a shawl pattern and it just wasn't working, so my dear friend said hold on let me try to quickly work up a few rows and see where the problem is, impatiently waiting I kept sending her IMs :lol:lol and finally she said, honey this just isn't going to work the way the pattern is written :(:(:(.

I'm fairly new to crochet so I try to stick with easy patterns. But, there have been several patterns that I thought were easy until I got started and just couldn't figure out what to do! So I generally ask my mother to help explain the stitches/pattern that I'm having trouble with, but there have been a few times where I've gotten so frustrated that I just ripped out what I had started with and worked from a different pattern. I thought I would do an afghan for my in-laws this year, but I decided to make it for next year's gift because it was a lot harder than I first thought it would be and it will take so much longer than I have time. I'm a glutton for punishment though, so I'm sure eventually I'll be attempting the troublesome patterns again, hopefully with more success.

Oh yes..... Especially when I was first starting out. I picked a simple butterfly fridge magnet to make. It would NOT come out right. Finally took the pattern to a lady at church who crochets. She tried to make it and it didn't work. She said the pattern was bad.

Right as we "speak" I'm having trouble with a doily It's not the pattern per se since I understand it just fine (it includes graphics too), it's the design, full of clusters and picot and triple picot! It apparently requires some concentration but I like to crochet in front of the TV set and I keep making silly mistakes that cannot be skipped so I've had to frog the same round several times :bang so in days I've made no significant progress to speak of. So I just learned another lesson: to take a good look at the stitching before I choose to make a doily again (or anything else), it's already a drag having to do so many clusters, etc., but it's a total nightmare for a distracted person like me! :thair

I'm working on one right now that has been frustrating. The math is wrong for most of the stitch counts. Couple that with the fact that I'm using some really cheap acrylic yarn that splits EVERY SINGLE STITCH.... But I'm 3/4 of the way done so I just need to bust through the rest for Saturday.

Archived