Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

Thanks!!!

I am going to try this... I just hope when I piece it together .. it doesn't look bad! :blush

I am using the colors they call for...I had chosen others in another brand..but they didn't have enough and I wanted to make sure I have it all.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay, everyone.. I am in ... I have the yarn and I have started it ... I am at the triangles. I am wondering tho... do we whipstich it w/ a needle or what? I an not sure which way I am suppose to sew them on.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

I never whipstitch pieces together for some reason. I always just sc in back loops only. It leaves a ridge in the back but it doesnt get too irksome and it doesnt ripple or anything.:manyheart

ooh, they are looking so pretty!

Today I started working on putting the first set of half circles on. Does anyone else despise all the cutting and reattaching? Its certainly worth it, but such a pain anyway!

Ok, so I'm hitting a snag. I've just completed the first set of half circles and am at the part where I ned to go around in black. The numbers don't seem to add up for me correctly. When I do the first row repeat, the last dc dec ends up in the middle of a sc row (one of the 9sc sides).

Am I just not understanding the instructions? Can someone whos done this part walk me through it. Maybe I'm confused because its nearly 2am?

Help!

The afghans are coming along so beautifully.

Christina, I havent gotten that far yet, but next week, we have the Spring vacation here at school and I will try to get up to where you are.

Thanks Lisa. I got so confused that night that I just put it down and worked on something else. I figure one of you will be able to steer me in the right direction or at the very least, cry with me when you get there. :)

I have a feeling I was just reading it wrong, but haven't picked it up again to try.

Ok, so I'm hitting a snag. I've just completed the first set of half circles and am at the part where I ned to go around in black. The numbers don't seem to add up for me correctly. When I do the first row repeat, the last dc dec ends up in the middle of a sc row (one of the 9sc sides).

Am I just not understanding the instructions? Can someone whos done this part walk me through it. Maybe I'm confused because its nearly 2am?

Help!

Can you show a close up photo of what you mean? and is it rnd 3 in the third section your stuck on? I'm kind of lost on your descripition of where your problem is. :)

Help!

So, you are on Rnd 4, right?

You had to have started on Rnd 3 in the wrong stitch.

I'm in the third section on Row 3.

Row 3 says to join black in 10th st past any half circle. You can see where I've attached it on the right side of the picture.

2414520789_e2f8d10352.jpg

I've done the row all the way through once (if I understood it correctly) and where the hook is on the left side is where I end up after one row repeat. Now I need to repeat from * to * but it looks as if the stitches will not line up where they need to be.

Am I correct that I was supposed to dc across the half circle after the first set of 9 sc and then continue on with the "sk first st..."

It just seems like my repeats won't be in the right places, as I'll end up doing sc around the next half circle instead of dcs like it is supposed to be.

No one else seems to have had issues here. I'm feeling like a dunce.

I'm in the third section on Row 3.

Row 3 says to join black in 10th st past any half circle. You can see where I've attached it on the right side of the picture.

2414520789_e2f8d10352.jpg

I've done the row all the way through once (if I understood it correctly) and where the hook is on the left side is where I end up after one row repeat. Now I need to repeat from * to * but it looks as if the stitches will not line up where they need to be.

Am I correct that I was supposed to dc across the half circle after the first set of 9 sc and then continue on with the "sk first st..."

It just seems like my repeats won't be in the right places, as I'll end up doing sc around the next half circle instead of dcs like it is supposed to be.

No one else seems to have had issues here. I'm feeling like a dunce.

Don't feel like a dunce -- this is one of the hardest projects that I've ever undertaken and, personally, I'm confused by it often! When my DH and I were at the hospital waiting for my son's surgery (which went well, thanks for asking) I was working on small heptagons. I had to do each row 3 a MINUMUM of 3 times! Everytime my DH would hear my say, "Dangit" and start frogging, he'd just say, "Again? Really?" :lol

I worked on the section you are on about 2 years ago (this afghan is a long WIP for me)... so I"m not quiet clear, but just by looking, it seems you've lost count somewhere. From what I can tell if you've done one * to * then your hook should be at the same place as when you joined the black on the ghan.

Your going to keep doing sc across the half circle WORKING only in the dc of the half circle. Maybe that's where your confused.

After the decrease dc's you'll do 9 sc up to the half circle than working ONLY in the dc's on the half circle you will (sc in next 3, 2 sc in the next ) 3times and on.

Does that make sense?

Well, I am not as far as you all..but I am now on the Second Section Rnd 3. I didn't make the triangles has they have said... I worked it in my rounds instead.. and I think it came out good! Here is a picture of what mine looks like so far!

th_CathedralRoseWindowAfghanFirstSecti.jpg

th_closeupoffirstsectionandsecondsecti.jpg

Your going to keep doing sc across the half circle WORKING only in the dc of the half circle. Maybe that's where your confused.

After the decrease dc's you'll do 9 sc up to the half circle than working ONLY in the dc's on the half circle you will (sc in next 3, 2 sc in the next ) 3times and on.

Does that make sense?

Aha! This is what I'm doing wrong! I didn't read it as working ONLY in the dcs. I read it as work dcs in the half circle.

As soon as I get home tonight, I'm going to give it a go this way and let you know if it works out. Thank you! :manyheart

Don't feel like a dunce -- this is one of the hardest projects that I've ever undertaken and, personally, I'm confused by it often! When my DH and I were at the hospital waiting for my son's surgery (which went well, thanks for asking) I was working on small heptagons. I had to do each row 3 a MINUMUM of 3 times! Everytime my DH would hear my say, "Dangit" and start frogging, he'd just say, "Again? Really?" :lol

I worked on the section you are on about 2 years ago (this afghan is a long WIP for me)... so I"m not quiet clear, but just by looking, it seems you've lost count somewhere. From what I can tell if you've done one * to * then your hook should be at the same place as when you joined the black on the ghan.

Glad to hear he's doing well! Looks like I was reading the instruction wrong. That's what I get for trying to work on this at 2 in the morning. :lol

Well, I am not as far as you all..but I am now on the Second Section Rnd 3. I didn't make the triangles has they have said... I worked it in my rounds instead.. and I think it came out good! Here is a picture of what mine looks like so far!

That looks great! I love your color selection.

I wanna make one... I am gonna get the pattern this wk. It's probably gonna take me like a yr to finish but whatever... I'll have it done someday :lol

That looks great! I love your color selection.

:blush I used the colors it calls for... I couldn't find enough yarn to do it in my colors... and since I live about 30 min to an hour away from a store..I decided to just get the colors on the pattern...so that blue is the purple.

But if I thought of it..I would have changed the purple and teal around. But I didn't. :oops

is there any way to get around the beginnings of the pyramids?? its soooo tedious. if so, will it affect the outcome of the whole blanket??

Do you mean you don't want to do them? If you don't do the bottom of the pyramid then nothing from that point on would line up. The columns would be higher than the pyramids, and the heptagons wouldn't fit.

Hey, I'm right there with you as far as how much I liked doing them. I finally finished the pyramids in section 3... it took me over 2 weeks because I just kept putting it down. But, you gotta do them.

Looks great!

Aha! This is what I'm doing wrong! I didn't read it as working ONLY in the dcs. I read it as work dcs in the half circle.

As soon as I get home tonight, I'm going to give it a go this way and let you know if it works out. Thank you! :manyheart

Glad it helped!!

Do you mean you don't want to do them? If you don't do the bottom of the pyramid then nothing from that point on would line up. The columns would be higher than the pyramids, and the heptagons wouldn't fit.

Hey, I'm right there with you as far as how much I liked doing them. I finally finished the pyramids in section 3... it took me over 2 weeks because I just kept putting it down. But, you gotta do them.

I agree totally! The pyramids suck but there aren't any shortcuts that we've figued out just yet.

Archived