Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok. So, I took the afghan out yesterday, but between children and the Oscars I didn't get but a few stitches done. Tonight, I had somewhere over an hour to crochet. I'm on Section 3 Row 15 (or otherwise known as, 1 row before more popcorns -- I'm not fond of doing those)... 1 round is taking me over an hour to do at this point!

I'm so pleased with the way this is turning out, but there is no such thing as immediate gratification when you get this far along!:lol

At this rate, since I work outside the home and only have time after kids are sleeping, I figure this is going to take me another few months.:eek

I have a question for all of you. Just how do you think we go about blocking this thing when it's done? It's going to be HUGE... I'm not sure how to go about doing it.

goofy, can't wait to see your colors!

Kathryn, I have no idea how we would block it. Mine is all acrylic yarn so I don't know if it would even block?

My hubby wants to hang it when its done, but I don't know how to go about that either.

I have finally decided on the colors I am going to use. I will be using RH yarn in Coffee (instead of black), Sage Mary (greens, beige and purple multi) and dark sage. I was going to order it off of the JoAnn's website today but am trying to hold back on buying before I complete one of my other projects. I feel better though knowing what colors I am going to use.

Ok... been too long since I did this. I"m on the popcorn round in section 3 and I'm confused.:think

When you've done the popcorn in white, and have to then do the black stitches, when are you changing to the black? If you add it when you are on the third DC of the popcorn, once you drop the loop and go back, the top of the popcorn is black. If you don't, then the top of the black sc is white.........

What are you ladies doing?

I just finished the popcorns in section 2. What I did was complete the popcorn, then is says to do a chain 1. I do the chain one and then pull the black yarn through the chain 1 to make the first black stitch. This way the top of my popcorn is the right color and the next stitch is black. Does this make sense?

Christina,

If you do a chain prior to the SC then you'll have a space where you don't want one. Did it fill in ok? I know I didn't do that in section 2, as my directions don't say that, but I don't remember having this problem.

And, did your directions say to do that? Do you have the newer directions?

Sorry, I knew i wasn't too clear.

The instructions for a popcorn say:

"3 dc in next st, drop lp from hook, insert hook in first dc of group, draw dropped lp through st, ch. 1."

I do that entire step in the color of the popcorn, then I pull the black yarn through the chain one to make the first black sc. I haven't had a problem getting an unwanted space. Everything seems to line up just fine.

I have the newer instructions but it doesn't say how to change the color specifically but it does say to ch.1. I just assumed to do it that way, since that seemed to be the best way for me to change the color and have all the stitches turn out the right color in the right places.

Mindy...I have always loved that Sage Mary color, and Im looking forward to seening it blossom into an afghan

Kathryn...I did the popcorns as Christina described. The popcorns worked out well with no space.

Brenda...I wish we had that kind of yarn where I live in NY. But then again, I wish we had a Hobby Lobby here too.

I decided that the 'ghans Im working on are all to big to 'schlep' around with me, so I've started on the 16 large heptagons - 2 done, 14 to go

Well, now I feel silly.... It seems that I did the popcorns in the second section the exact way you all told me to.... however, the pattern I have (old version) leaves out the CH1 for the popcorn row in Section 3.

Thanks for all your help. I'm STILL on the popcorn row -- man, it takes awhile. I'm once again excited about getting this afghan done. However, I saw the pattern on AA and see the colors they have done the new one in and now I want one in those colors! (yeah right, like I'll ever do this again!)

I realized the other day that I've been working on this for 2 years now... granted, I put it away for a good 20 months, but still! I just went back and saw that I started this on 1/23/06... I've never had something take this long! Then again, I've never done something this impressive.

Where is everyone else in this?

I haven't worked on anymore of the rows, but like Lisa, I'm doing the heptagons. I've made them all and have edged 8 of them in the black. I hope I can work on more rows this weekend, but it depends on how long the chore-list is. :eek

:goodorbad chores...afghan...chores...afghan :goodorbad

I started a little on my afghan yesterday. I love the yarn!! It is so soft and feels so nice when working with it!! I didn't even finish the center circle but I can at least say that I've started it! hehe I do hope to get farther on the baby blanket so that I can work more on the afghan.

Archived