Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am currently working on the first 8 pentagons. i am wondering if anyone else is having problems getting the right gauge without having to struggle with the two strands of yan and the small hook. i am wondering why there is two strands of yarn used just for this part of the afghan?

The two strands and smaller hook are supposed to make it really puffy. I didn't want to struggle and used just one strand and the H hook (I think the h still) and it is still raised up when you sew everything together. I like it this way. In fact, I'd even like it better if it weren't as puffy.

Thats what I was thinking. From the pictures i've seen I don't really like it puffy. Maybe I will have to use one strand also. I think it would be an h hook, as long as the gauge is the same.

I also used just one strand and the bigger hook. I didn't want it very puffy. It still puffs a little but not very much.

I was supposed to work on it this weekend, but didn't. Bad me.

I started a post on the 'puffiness' part yesterday when whole bunch of children came into the office with skinned knees and elbows. (It was the first sunny and warm outside recess day in a while.) so I had to close the site.

Yes.. the double strand makes those penagons more 3-dimensional than the other parts. It gives the afghan an interesting texture.

I chose to make the pentagons puffy, and I like the effect. But then again, this afghan will hopefully be mounted on a wall so the texture will be clearly seen.

When I do this afghan again, I will probably be making it to USE and will not make it puffy...dreams dreams.

Any way Ive been working hard on the 6-12-24 RR for a wedding gift, and my niece just happened to 'mention' that she cant wait for her afghan - hint hint. So while I slowly make those 16 heptagons, I work on other things. Im never far away from this, but until I make som headway with the required afghans, Im slow on working on this one.

Lisa,

Are you giving this afghan away????????

I also will not be using this afghan on anyone's lap! Could put it on a bed, but we have cats... and I would have to shave them bald before I let them near it. Still not sure how to hang it (and DH isn't sure about having it hung either). I've thought about saving this for my DD for a wedding present (she's only 3... but, God knows if I'd want to do this in another 25 years)... However, if I do that, then I have to make one for my DS to put away as well.

The main reason I did this afghan (besides it being the most beautiful I've ever seen) is that it intimidated me. I knew if I could get through this, then I could crochet anything.... well, as long as FPDC and BPDC aren't involved! Those two still confuse me!:think

I'm giving mine away. I loved the pattern so much but didn't have a clue what we would use it for. This way I get to make it and enjoy it around here during that time. Then when christmas comes I get to show it off and someone else can use it in their house.

<chuckles>:hook

No, Im not giving this one away. We have a place, probably over the couch on a large blank wall in the living room where Im hoping that it will live. DH picked the colors out and every once in a while asks very quietly how its coming along....silly man.:lashes

I saw a picture of someone who hung theirs suspended from what might have looked like a pvc pipe. I think, though that I will cross that particular bridge when I get to it.

The afghan that Im giving away is a 6-12-24 RR, and I will post a picture here when its done.

I made afghans for both daughters, and they are itching to have me make more (no pun intended - theirs dont itch):lol

Lunch is in progress.....its RECESS

I think I saw the same one you did from the PVC pipe... it's the woman who is selling it for $800. Personally, I still think that's too cheap to sell this for. I've been working on it for almost 5 months now.........Granted, I only work on it at night... and I was pregnant and exhausted for a few of those months but still.......

:welcomeHeather.

There are several of us who are fairly active:ghug

Alesha:hiTake your time and have fun

$800....heh even at $10 per hour for time alone, I will have spent WAAAAY more than 80 hours on this before its done:haha

....way way more

:yay I got to start mine last night. I'm on my 3rd pentagon now.

oooooooooooh Heather you are IN for it now.:hook

:yayHave fun

I have to say I envy all of you. I have always loved this pattern but there is just no way i will every make this. At least not this year. I will be watching this thread and cheering you all on. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!:cheer:clap:cheer

Tammy.. how come you don't think you'll make it? If we can do it, so can you!

I dont think I can this year. I have 3 more nieces who are having babies, one that is getting married and then of course christmas on top of all my charity crochet. I have another project I want to start on after the secret pals swap. I want to start on a crochet doll house and furnishings. I am totally into miniature crochet right now and really want to try to make this. As soon as the swap ends I am going to start on it. I would like to have some of it done before christmas. Maybe I will try this next year.

I was supposed to work on it this weekend, but one of my walls and window decided it was jealous of the rain and wanted to rain too. We came home from errands to find a pool in my bedroom. The rest of the weekend was spent with the landlord trying to get it fixed.

Well Tammy, there is always NEXT YEAR:devil

Christina :hug

That was SOME rain wasnt it!!! Good luck withthe mop up

I havent looked at this afghan....:ohdear

....well I have 'looked' at it, cause it sits in a big bag at the foot of the bed looking rather forelorned...:cry

but...

I havent worked on it in a week...but the good news is that I have about 20 more hours (give or take) on the RR and then when thats done, I will come back to my Cathedral Rose:yay

christina~I hope all goes well with the cleanup and that nothing important got wet.

I didn't work on mine for about a week also. i am getting closer to being done with the two baby blankets to soon i will have more time to work on this afghan.

Archived