Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

Well the gloves got pushed over to the side :lol and I started the afghan right away.

CathedralAfghan1.jpg

I tried using the recommended K hook (on the homespun label) but it was curling too much so frogged it and tried the L hook, much better. BUT it (the middle piece) was coming out too big so I stopped after rnd 3 and then added the border.

I'm also stopping short on the pentagons so they won't be too big. In this way hopefully, I can do all the pieces and incorporate the entire design and still have a manageable afghan.

I'm not sure I like how I'm joining the pieces together, I ss them together, maybe I should try something different. Any way...I LOVE :yay the colors I chose, so I'm really hoping I can make this work.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh those colors are going to be stunning. I cant wait to see how it all comes out.

Im still at the beginning of section 2. Ive been working on some 6x9s and the secret catghan.

I'm on the first section and doing the pentagons. I am using the 2 strands for the main part of the pentagon. Am I supposed to use 2 strands on the black round also?

Sheryl

I'm on the first section and doing the pentagons. I am using the 2 strands for the main part of the pentagon. Am I supposed to use 2 strands on the black round also?

Sheryl

I wouldn't think so. It specifically mentions 2 strands of amethyst. And I would think you would want all your black borders to be the same (one strand). What does everyone else think?

Now I have a question...where does it tell you (in the first section) where to sew the pentagons to each other? It tells you to sew the pentagons to the octagon and then sew the triangles to the pentagon.....and:think....I guess it's understood.:lol

And how is everyone joining stuff together? I tried the slip stitch, but I'm not liking how it's bunching up.:no

Now I have a question...where does it tell you (in the first section) where to sew the pentagons to each other? It tells you to sew the pentagons to the octagon and then sew the triangles to the pentagon.....and:think....I guess it's understood.:lol

And how is everyone joining stuff together? I tried the slip stitch, but I'm not liking how it's bunching up.:no

Are you you slip stitching in the back loops only? I was going to join with a yarn needle using a whip stitch. I will stitch in only the back loops. From past experience in joining, this seems to keep the pieces nice and flat.

Since the instructions don't say to join the sides of the pentagons, I am also assuming that it's implied. I just can't imagine leaving gaps between them.

Sheryl

Ooops....back loops, of course! :oopsNo, I used both loops....

I just laid the two pieces next to each other flat on the table like I want them to be as if they were finished and then slip stitched the touching sides together using both loops. Obviously this is wrong.

If I turned them over and ss or whip stitched in the back loops (now facing up) would that work? Or do you place the two fronts together and sew using the loops that aren't touching? Not sure if I'm making sense...aaarrrggghhh!!!

Hi Teresa

Hi Sheryl.

I think that the author of this design assumed that we would all know how to assemble the pieces. I did a lot of fragging when things didnt seem to work out well. In the end I did it like Sheryl did.

Its mostly flat if I lay it down correctly. I have a few more rows on the section 2 part before the popcorn.

Im finding that even thought there are snags here and there, Im loving making this.

I have finished joining the first section. It looks good. I packed up the first section and my hook & yarn and took it to work (in case it was slow and it is) I failed to pack the pattern! I haven't a clue what I'm supposed to do now other than I am going to be working in rounds.

I hope to have some progress posted at the end of the week.

Sheryl

LOL:U

Sorry to laugh Sheryl, but I do that almost all the time.:wink

My solution is that I have several bags; 1 for each project. In it I have several hooks, scissors, needle and the pattern. Im a big fan of writing out directions ahead of time, so that I can 'see' what I need to do next. (Ive also been known to color coordinate the directions too). Anyway, now Im more likely to have what I need - inside the bag when I head out the door.:hook

Of course, as scattered asI am, Ive also been known to put the directions tor the CRW into the baby blanket bag too...:eek

:sigh<sigh>:lol

I'm all set today. Now of course my day is going to be crazy. I did the first round without a problem before I came to work. It looks pretty good, although I'm not sure why I had to use 2 strands of the amethyst. I guess it gives it a 3D look when its all done.

I was afraid that those little triangles were going to be wacky but they're not.

Sheryl

I'm all set today. Now of course my day is going to be crazy. I did the first round without a problem before I came to work. It looks pretty good, although I'm not sure why I had to use 2 strands of the amethyst. I guess it gives it a 3D look when its all done.

I was afraid that those little triangles were going to be wacky but they're not.

Sheryl

YES!!!!

The 2 strands makes those pentagons puff up a bit and it gives the piece some depth. Some like it, some dont. I loved what it looks like.

It sounds like you are really moving along:clap

I think it looks good too but it's hard to get a vision of it finished as it is still so small. I am enjoying it a lot more than I had anticipated.:hook When I read through the pattern and saw all the joining work :eek I kind of panicked. Joining is definitely not my favorite part of crochet :no.

I would love to see everyone elses progress. I will probably post mine on Friday night.

Sheryl

Lisa, you are really moving along. I hope I am that far by tomorrow. I'll post whatever I've got by tomorrow night though. Just remember, I am in the Alaska time zone so it will be Saturday morning for most everbody else.

I am really loving the way this coming along.

Sheryl

Thank you.:ghug

Im just having so much fun with it, though I must say that I havent a clue what they are talking about about the pyramid section:think

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w3/sheryljak/CathedralRoseWindow1.jpg

I fell asleep last night working on this. So far it's 22" across. I am using the yarn and colors called for in the pattern with the exception of the black. I'm using Caron black since I had a few pounders in my stash.

It doesn't look like the "spokes" are lining up. :think It looked fine when I first started but I guess I'll have to do some blocking to make it work out in the end.

Sheryl

Archived