Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been watching this CAL since the beginning because I so admire the skill it takes to crochet this specific afghan. Every time I look at Cathedral Windows, no matter what the colors combinations it gives me joy. But I actually never imagined myself really venturing forth and buying the pattern and yarn and doing one myself.

Then LegalWoman17, Debbie, generously offered to share a pattern with with some of us who didn't have one. She was true to her word and sent it to me in the mail shortly after I responded to her e-mail. Felt like Christmas again at our home and I am one step closer to starting my own Cathedral Window. I have several WIP to finish up before beginning this one so I hope this CAL keeps going for awhile.

Thank you Debbie.:hug

:manyheart

KathyWho

KathyWho, I'm with you! I received an original copy from Debbie also and it was so thoughtful of her wasn't it? I'm itching to get started now that I have the instructions. Now what color combo do I want? Thanks Debbie!:hug

Hello, I just saw this pattern a few days ago I didn't know there was a site for it and everything. I am going to try and get the pattern and I hope you won't mind me popping in to ask lots of questions about it.Well thanks see ya later. britt

Welcome Britt! :hugI'm just starting this myself, but I'm sure we'll all be able to help each other as we go. Someone posted some tips a few pages back about a different way to join the first section...you might want to check that out.

Don't be afraid to do it your own way. Someone here did the pattern all in thread. I'm doing it in homespun. Have fun with it!;)

Hello, I just saw this pattern a few days ago I didn't know there was a site for it and everything. I am going to try and get the pattern and I hope you won't mind me popping in to ask lots of questions about it.Well thanks see ya later. britt

Welcome Britt....

This is the place for questions!!!

Ok Im doing the 'pyramids' and Im wondering if anyone has come up with a way to NOT have to cut the threads, and still have the numbers all work out in the end?

Ive tried to slip stitch with the dark color in the back stitch at the 2 dc, but Im not sure it will look right.

I simply dread all that cutting and weaving in.

I bought this pattern about a month ago. I'm just trying to figure out what colors to use. I want to crochet this and hang it above my stairway (large blank wall). I'm thinking black (of course) with different kinds of blues/grays, or brown tones.

:welcomeWelcome Mindy and Shelly:hi

It seems that the color choices are often the most agonizing part of this whole project. :sigh

I ended up with the earth tones of aspen print and painted desert.:)

Good luck on the choosing

The color choices is the hardest part?? Tell me about it!! I would love to start this to use as a christmas gift exchange gift but can't decide on colors! I got my pattern in the mail last week and am now having to force myself to finish some baby blankets first.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm back -- hello! I put down this afghan when I got pregnant with my DS so that I could crochet baby items in preparation for his birth. After his birth which was a bit dramatic, I stopped crocheting. Then, when I finally picked up my hooks last year it was to crochet blankets for the NICU that saved his life.

Now, after getting some gifts out of the way, I told myself that I was going to start this again. So, today I am going to go back in the closet and pull out this afghan. I'm excited to get starting again!

I've told myself that if this ends up looking as good as it started out, that I"m entering it in the state fair. So, lets see if I get it done in time!

Happy to be joining you all again!:hook

Welcome back Kathryn. How far did you get before you put this down the first time?:cheer

Christina.....you put it away????? oh heavens:eek....<shuffles foot> :sighI put mine in the closet too, though while I #1 decided whether or not to do the pyramids the way we are 'supposed' to and doing all that cutting, OR trying to find a way to not cut so much. mybad! but I did 2 heptagons:clap

I also started a 6-12-24 RR for a wedding gift:U, and WILL pick this back up in a couple of weeks

Welcome back Kathryn. How far did you get before you put this down the first time?:cheer

Well, I just got my youngest down for a nap (I hope I hope I hope) and am going to go get it soon... been so long I don't remember, Here's my last picture of it, but I seem to remember being farther along than this......

100_0583.jpg

Thanks.

I just pulled it out of the closet and discovered I"m considerably farther along than I thought..... haven't looked at the pattern yet, so don't know where I am... but here is today's picture. Oh, and I'm using RH Monet for the light color and RH Artist's Print for the dark.

100_3343.jpg

Kathryn, its gorgeous!

Lisa, can you believe I stuck it in the closet? Awful! I had to finish up a swap and some charity hats, but now I'm back to it. Did you figure out a way to do the upcoming pyramids without all the cutting? I figure I should be at that part by the weekend.

Hey ladies! I'm in!! I picked up the yarn for it at hobby lobby yesterday. my DH helped pick out the colors with me. (I just love when he gets involved like that!) I got I love this yarn, on sale, for everything but the black which is RH. I will get a pic of it and post it. It is a burgendy and slate blue. The varigated is a combo of green, burgendy, and a cream. I can't wait to get started on it!! I have to finish a scarf for my son and get farther on a baby blanket before I can start on it. O, and its going to be a gift exchange gift for my families christmas.

<chuckles at Christina>

I think Im going to do the cutting the way the pattern suggests. I tried carrying the yarn along the back, but I didnt like the way it looked. To carry it along the back you need to do some slipstitching, and even when I stitched in the back loop only, it added height where there isnt suppsed to be any height at all. I cant figure out how to do this so I will do the dreaded CUTTING

ahhh well

Welcome Brenda. I cant wait to see your colors.

badrhinogillett - your 'ghan is so very pretty.

Im always excited to see the colors people choose.

Here is what IM doing for now - its a wedding gift so time is important. I will be back on the CRW soonth_CIMG3670.jpg

Im probably 1/3 done with the 6-12-24 rr

Archived