Cathedral Window-CAL

Chatty

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
sheryl and isserlie those both look great I hope to pick mine up and start today ive had all the yarn sitting here for weeks.

I probably wouldn't have started yet but my hubby likes the pattern and he was kind of nagging me to keep working on it. Isn't he sweet:manyheart? He even cooked dinner all week so I could crochet after work.

Sheryl

While at the hospital visiting my grandma I started this as she was sleeping. Wouldnt you know right off the bat I had problems with rows 4 and 5. I came home and printed off a site that someone had put on about corrections and luckily enough I had done what they suggested before I got home. so far however I am still on the first part lol. I am headed to work on it some more but first gonna go thru here and see where I can find anymore suggestions before I get stuck.

th_DSCN0171.jpg

vonnie,

I have just seen your post, I had not realised anyone was looking for my thread version. I don't have any up-to-date pics, but I had got quite far when I had to stop because the main shaded thread became unavailable ( the mauve shade). After that, as usually happens, I got caught up in other projects. The pic is of the central part. I do hope to complete it eventually, just don't know when. Some things don't work in thread - doubled thread doesn't lead to a 3-d effect, and is wasted effort, the popcorns require more stitches to look effective.But it is a beautiful pattern, and looks gorgeous in thin, glossy thread.

Ohhhhh, it's absolutely BEAUTIFUL!!!! I love the pale pinks! As I'm reading through this massive thread (I started way back at post #1 from back in 2005!) I am working on my own. Right now I am sewing together the middle portion, attaching the pentagons to the large center part.

I will take a pic of how far I've progressed as soon as I can. I'm using RH Banana Berry for my variegated, of course black, since it's a stained glass window, and for the other colors I'm using turqua for the small pentagons and Spring Green for the popcorn stitches. I really love the colors together, but since I have seen so many different combinations of colors in this thread, I already can't wait to start another one in different colors! So far this is so much fun to make! And I'm THRILLED that this almost-three-year-old thread is still alive and going strong so that we can all still compare our work and ask questions!

Elle

I wouldn't think so. It specifically mentions 2 strands of amethyst. And I would think you would want all your black borders to be the same (one strand). What does everyone else think?

Yes. I agree. I did my 8 small pentagons in double stranded turqua, but only used one strand of black to put the edging on them. I just finished sewing them to the large middle piece (which I did in Banana Berry variegated) and now I'm sewing the black triangle pieces around the outside of the pentagons. As soon as I get that done, I'll take a pic to show my progress and hopefully figure out how to post the pic here. I have not yet posted a pic of anything here (I've only been a member for a year! :lol) so I don't know how lucky I'll be at accomplishing that, but I'll give it a heck of a try.

Elle

Hello, I just got done ordering this pattern. I can't wait for it to get here! I have been reading this thread and waiting untill I had the money to order the pattern. I hope to get the yarn and start this as soon as I get the pattern. I love how they all turn out so pretty!

I just completed the 1st popcorn round. I love doing the popcorns!

Now, I'm going to take a break and make some large heptagons. I did 8 of them with some yarn I had in my stash while waiting for the rest of the yarn to arrive.

Sheryl

Well so far I only did the middle section then reading some corrections somewhere I found I see that the black that I did around that section I dont seem to have enough sc and ive looked and looked and don't know where I screwed up at. So tonite it will be back to the drawing board for me I guess. I still want to look thru here and see what else can be found just havnt had the time the past few days.

I found that the popcorns are fun also, but now Im almost ready for the heptagaons :yes

Andrea here is the site with the corrections

http://www.precision-guesswork.com/cathedral-cal.html

I hated frogging, but I did quite a bit at the beginning (I still do.:ohdear ) I found, though that I needed to be religious about counting and paying close attention to the directions.

Good luck and dont get discouraged

Thanks for that site that is the one i had just thought there may be more lol. I only took out the black row cuz the rest was all right so I sort of improvised, now working on the whatever goes next lol. I know I have to make 8 of them didnt feel to much like crocheting last night so only did one but so far that one is right. I would like to have one full day to just sit and do nothing but crochet this, maybe friday i can.

Hello, I just got done ordering this pattern. I can't wait for it to get here! I have been reading this thread and waiting untill I had the money to order the pattern. I hope to get the yarn and start this as soon as I get the pattern. I love how they all turn out so pretty!

The yarn requirements differ from the original pattern to the reprint. The original pattern calls for a light variegated and a dark variegated, where the reprint just calls for one type of variegated and two different solids that coordinate with the colors in the variegated. When you order your yarn, make sure you order a lot more than just five skeins of the variegated. They say that you only need five skeins, so that is what I ordered, but the vast majority of this afghan is the variegated yarn, and five skeins is not enough. I have finished my sixteen large heptagons, and now I'm working on my thirty-two small heptagons. I haven't even STARTED to do the other work with the variegated, and I only have three skeins left! By the time I finish the thirty two small heptagons I'm probably only going to have a little more than one skein of variegated left, and ALL of the other variegated work to do. My guess is I'm going to need at least four more skeins of the stuff. So just to be on the safe side, I would order at LEAST eight and probably more like nine skeins of the variegated yarn for this afghan. They call for six skeins of the black, and that looks like it's going to be enough. Just thought I'd give you a heads up so you don't end up running short on variegated yarn like I am. I am going to order four or five more skeins of the Banana Berry on Friday (payday) to make sure I have enough to complete the project. At least now when I make others I will know and I'll order more right from the start.

Elle

Elle, I dont have a copy of the new reprint.

So it sounds like they dont want a color contrast except for the popcorns (in white) and the dark/lead of the stained glass window?

oh my....

So it sounds like they dont want a color contrast except for the popcorns (in white) and the dark/lead of the stained glass window?

oh my....

Here's a link to the "new" pattern ad. What was white on the old pattern is teal on the new. Black is the same. The pentagons in the first section are amethyst. All the varigated areas and the heptagons are in gemstone.

I believe that the corrections that were found in the link posted before are already in the reprint. I never saw the original pattern but saw pictures after I started the "new" one.

Sheryl

oh my....

Instead of two shades of variegated yarn it calls for only one shade of variegated (5 skeins of Gemstone), one skein of teal, two skeins of amethyst, and 6 skeins of black. What was white on the original is teal on the reprint, and the parts that were made with the lesser amount of variegated on the original are now made with amethyst on the reprint. The black is still black. And there's just not enough of the variegated in 5 skeins of yarn.

Elle

oooooooo Christina you got the pattern?

What colors did you get?

and where did you end up getting them?

Thank you Elle and Sheryl. Ive seen pictures of the 'new' one, but I have to admit that I didnt look very closely, and I certainly did not pay attention to the color changes.

I think I like the old pattern - well of course, its the old one that Im trying to work on.

Good luck to you all

oooooooo Christina you got the pattern?

What colors did you get?

and where did you end up getting them?

Thank you Elle and Sheryl. Ive seen pictures of the 'new' one, but I have to admit that I didnt look very closely, and I certainly did not pay attention to the color changes.

I think I like the old pattern - well of course, its the old one that Im trying to work on.

Good luck to you all

Hey Lisa! I love the way your afghan looks so far...gorgeous! Yep, I bought the pattern and just today bought all the yarn at Michaels! Hubby picked all the colors. He picked RH Ocean for the variegated and RH lavendar and Baby Soft bluebell for the contrasts. He didn't like any of the RH blues, which is why he went for the bluebell. I have the new pattern which only calls for 1 variagted, so that's what we got.

Huby is excited about this pattern and asked me when I would start! I may have to put some of my WIPs to the side to start it for him. :manyheart

I'm sure I'm going to have a billion questions.

I must tell you that Im having more fun with this than I ever thought possible.

Sure its hard in spots

Sure I have to frag now and then - more now than then

Sure I get the yarn all tangked up

But I LOVE IT

We need to meet one day and work together:hug

I started this afghan before I got pregnant with my DS -- he's now 14 months old! I had put it away to start making baby items, had the baby and then didn't start crocheting for the longest time. When I did, I was making afghans for the NICU that saved my son's life.

I'm currently finishing up a poncho and then plan to get back to this. I"m midway through (as far as I can remember.) and am anxious to see it finished.

I had started this afghan, because it intimidated me so much -- I knew if I actually tried to do it and finished it, I'd know that I never needed to be intimidated by crochet again. Then, as I got into doing it, I couldn't believe how easily it worked up. It's not quick work, but so totally worth it! I hope to be back to doing it within the next month.

My question -- I'll never use this as an actual afghan -- the thought of the cats sitting on it is horrifying!:eek, but if I wanted to use it as a wall hanging, how do you suggest hanging it?

My question -- I'll never use this as an actual afghan -- the thought of the cats sitting on it is horrifying!:eek, but if I wanted to use it as a wall hanging, how do you suggest hanging it?

Personally I think I would cut plastic canvas into pieces shaped like the afghan and tie the afghan to it with like colored yarn.

Then I would take some twine and tie the canvases to dowel rods for extra stability and hang it on the wall from the rods.

I would do all this so that when finished/hung you cannot see any plastic canvas or rods.

I must tell you that Im having more fun with this than I ever thought possible.

Sure its hard in spots

Sure I have to frag now and then - more now than then

Sure I get the yarn all tangked up

But I LOVE IT

We need to meet one day and work together:hug

We should! I started just a little today and go the first octagon and 3 pentagons done so far. My pentagons are laying flat, so all is well as of right now. :cheer

oh Boy Christina!:cheer

You are forging ahead fast

:hookI cant wait to see what you have done

It helps that hubby is cheering me on. After dinner last night, hubby asked if I was going to work on "our blanket." How could I say no? :hook

Archived