Hexagonal Afghan Pattern

yarnjeannie

I've posted a photo of the Hexagonal Afghan in another thread, but thought I would post the pattern itself to this area so that anyone who wants to try it out would be able to find it easier.

If you do give it a whirl, please post your photos! Let me know if you find the pattern easy to follow.

003-2.jpg004.jpg

Hexagon Afghan

Chain 6, join with slip stitch to make a circle

Round 1 – chain 5 (this will be first dc and chain 2 space), dc in ring, dc again in ring, *dc, ch 2, dc in ring, dc again in ring, repeat from * 4 more times to make 18 dc and 6 ch-2 spaces, slip stitch in 3rd chain of ch 5 at the beginning to join

Round 2 - slip stitch into chain 2 space, chain 5, dc in same space, dc in each of next 3 dc, *(dc, ch 2, dc) in next chain 2 space, dc in each dc to next chain 2 space, repeat from * around to beginning chain 5, sl st in 3rd ch to join – there will be 5 dc on each of the 6 sides

Round 3 - slip stitch into chain 2 space, chain 5, dc in same space, dc in each dc to next ch 2 space, *(dc, ch 2, dc) in next chain 2 space, dc in each dc to next chain 2 space, repeat from * around to beginning chain 5, sl st in 3rd ch to join – there will be 7 dc on each of the 6 sides

Continue this pattern by repeating round 3 to the size needed for your afghan. You will be adding 2 stitches to each of the six sides with every row.

This will give you the basic six-sided afghan. If you have any problems with this, please let me know.

When you have enough rounds to make your afghan of sufficient size, your next to the last round will be the first part of your border. Slip stitch into the first chain 2 space, (ch 4, dc, ch 1, dc) in the ch 2 space, *ch1, skip first dc, dc in next dc, ch1, skip next dc, dc in next dc across to next ch 2 space (you will be skipping the last dc before the ch 2 space. (Dc, ch 1, dc, ch 1, dc) into ch 2 space, and repeat from * around to the beginning, joining in 3rd chain of beginning ch 4. Finish off.

With contrasting color, you will join with sc in first ch 1 space in the corner, sc in dc, sc in next ch 1 space, sc in next dc, *dc in skipped dc in the previous round, keeping the stitch BEHIND the ch 1, then sc in next dc, and repeat from * to next corner. You will sc in each ch 1 space and each dc in the corners. On the sides you will have dc stitches in skipped dc, keeping the stitches behind the ch 1 stitch. Follow this pattern of sc and dc through to the end and finish off, weaving in ends.

I hope this makes sense. Please let me know if you have any questions. You are welcome to use this pattern to make blankets for yourself, friends or charity. Please do not sell the pattern, or sell the finished items using an online venue or on any other large-scale selling venue. Thank you so much.

Ok, I grabbed some scrap yarn and started this to see if I'd like it.

I LOVE it! Very easy to do and should work up very quickly. Now to come up with some colors that will make it pop. Off to check my stash!

Jeanie, what size crochet hook did you use for yours?

I think your afghan is lovely and it made me think done in a phentex type poly yarn would make a great replacement for a patio umbrella and I think I'll make one as that is just what I need,oh maybe I'll wait till next spring

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you so much for sharing this pattern. Your instructions were flawless and so easy to understand. I started this on Tuesday for a baby gift for a co-worker and I will probably finish it tonight. I'll post a pic as soon as I can. Thanks again!

Wow thank you for posting this pattern - One of my good friend's just found out she is going to be a Grandma!!! I'm going to use this pattern for an afghan for the new mom!! Thanks again!:crocheting

Jeanie, I don't normally work in the round and wasn't sure about this, but I started one night before last and I am absolutely loving this pattern!

Keep an eye out in 'show and tell' - I'll be posting a photo of what I have so far as soon as my camera batteries re-charge.

• 1 month later...

I'm making one of these now and it is so easy! I love it. This may tie with the rr pattern as my favorite afghans to make. I'll definitely post a picture when I finish it. Thank you for this great pattern.

Archived